Chinook E-350 4x4 swap

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Im ready to start on the rear end of the truck now and i am looking for opinions on who makes the best leaf springs to lift the rear of this heavy truck. I dont want to spend a bunch of cash on leaf springs just to have them start sagging a month after i install them.
Currently i have air suspension on the back with spacer blocks but i want to go back to leaf springs.

I considered using a shackle flip kit and utilizing factory ford springs to lift the rear, but im looking for maximum ride quality and i dont think the flip kit is the answer.

I I have a lifted 2wd Chinook with 4.5" front lift and used 2 inch blocks in rear plus raise MorRyde to get even, but after two years it has dropped in rear quite a bit. My rear axle is 7,200 which puts whole rig at 10,700 fully loaded which is 200 over max. I am looking to add 5" in rear & wondering the same things. My preference is to remove blocks and just go leaf spring.

However, I wasn't aware sagging with leaf springs is a real concern? Don't they use these on heavy duty trucks, dump trucks etc...way heavier than our Chinooks? I was looking at atlas springs (http://atlassuspension.com/) or local to make custom, Monday I will discuss with local guy. Atlas running 2-3 months but could be sooner, but like everyone their supply chain slow. Atlas was very helpful to talk to and not rushed.

I wonder if shackle flip is bigger question, the flip and shackles aren't cheap and if they do not work money may have been spend better towards leaf springs, but no idea if true.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Beautiful rig! Awesome build. Kinda apples and oranges since our Tiger is on a IFS K2500 chassis but, my only observation is the front steering stabilizers. Depending on where you take your rig they maybe susceptible to damage. Pick a good line and shouldn't be an issue. Goodluck on your build!

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
My rear axle is 7,200 which puts whole rig at 10,700 fully loaded which is 200 over max.

Correction my GVWR is actually 10,700 not 10,500, so fully loaded (including 489lbs of water and gas) I am right at max.

When ordering leaf springs do people use max weight or does it make sense to back off some for gas and water usage (reduction) while on trip, or does it even matter?

marret

Don’t know about others, but I went with max weight and a few years later am glad I did. I think your use impacts the decision. I have progressive springs and feel the extra capacity is worth it. Don’t think I would notice the difference as we are only talking hundreds of pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles