Chinook alternatives

Photobug

I like the size and shape of the Chinooks, but not overly fond of the interior layout. What it is really missing to me is an overhead bed option. Besides the lack of an overhead bed I don't like the fold-out bed and dinette make the area unpassable if the bed is deployed.

What Class B or B+s or even C's up to 24 feet might have a similar shape with a better layout? Here is one I like. Yes, it is newer and more expensive than I will likely be looking for but I might splurge for the right ride. Just want more choices than Chinook.

jkam

nomadic man
If you want the best class C, get a Lazy Daze.
Family owned manufacturer that invented the class C way back.
No dealers, sold new factory direct.
Unfortunately, because of the small amount made, quality and cult following, not so many used out there and the ones that are fetch a premium.
I have a 96 23.5 front lounge that I have lived in full time now for 13 years.
Big tinted windows is an awesome thing to have in a small space, I would have a hard time in most RV's because of the tiny windows they use.

eporter

Adventurer
And a roll cage.

Yeah, safety is nice. I had an ambo and a gutted chinook in the driveway for a bit. Was going to bolt a double seat with belts into one of them. Chinook was roomier, but really just a cutaway frame with some plywood and fiberglass on the back. Ambo is rollover tested, but short and not as roomy. Ended up selling both as I didn’t have time with two little kids.

Most van/RV options are couples-oriented. Narrows options if you want to safely carry kids in the back. Airport shuttle style buses can be cool, some have passenger doors, and some have a steel safety structure.

Photobug

Most van/RV options are couples-oriented. Narrows options if you want to safely carry kids in the back. Airport shuttle style buses can be cool, some have passenger doors, and some have a steel safety structure.

It is really just two of us, plus 2 dogs and maybe the cat. What I really look for is the option for one of us to be sleeping while the other is driving or just awake. The sacknife couch of the Chinook means the dinette and bathroom access is cut off if someone is asleep on the bed. The overhead bed also lets us sleep dog free otherwise, they will try to suffocate us in our sleep, I guess it is kind of like having kids except they sleep through the night.

We don't really need any more space just better use of the space.

jkam

nomadic man
Born Free made a nice coach, they went out of business some years back.
You might look at Bigfoot class C's.
They made a 24 foot model, and even could get them with 4x4 added.
Not easy to find and they don't do class C's anymore.

Photobug

If you want the best class C, get a Lazy Daze.
Family owned manufacturer that invented the class C way back.

I saw one a while back, that was pretty old but redone really nice inside. It really made an impression. The newer Lazy Days look unique in terms of their external looks retro but with nice new looking interiors. They and Born Free have risen to the top along with Class Bs.

jkam

nomadic man
Another class B that is pretty well made is Coach House.
But a class C with the overhead bunk is much better if it's not just you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne