Chile

jpvm

Explorer
Chile is wild and beautiful. The Lake District is gorgeous! Volcanoes, glaciers, ferries to Bariloche in Argentina are very popular ways to travel.

You can drive into southern Andes from Pto. Montt, then it's various ferries over the lakes. Fantastic place to visit.

Roger that brother !!! ... I couldn't find the "I like it" button here .... :)

guestwho

Observer
I live in a 5 million soul city and hate the crowds , therefore my ramblings are to mostly inhabited parts of Chile where our souls touch the sky. :drool:

Hi jpvm,

I've just moved from California to Santiago for work and I was hoping you could answer a few questions. Besides Santiago and Valpo, I've visited Puren and Pucon via bus/rental car. The question I have for you is about what's available close to Santiago. By close, I mean someone with a Monday-Friday job could go visit on a weekend and come back in time for work. I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a car for weekend getaways since I commute in metro. From the research I've done, it seems like all the cool stuff is either really far north or really far south of Santiago. Even Pucon is about 10 hours away, and I wouldn't consider it very far south compared to what else is available. I know there is Cajon de Maipo, and I've read Mendoza, Argentina might have some interesting sights. Is there anything else you can recommend?

Thanks!

jpvm

Explorer
Hi jpvm,

I've just moved from California to Santiago for work and I was hoping you could answer a few questions. Besides Santiago and Valpo, I've visited Puren and Pucon via bus/rental car. The question I have for you is about what's available close to Santiago. By close, I mean someone with a Monday-Friday job could go visit on a weekend and come back in time for work. I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a car for weekend getaways since I commute in metro. From the research I've done, it seems like all the cool stuff is either really far north or really far south of Santiago. Even Pucon is about 10 hours away, and I wouldn't consider it very far south compared to what else is available. I know there is Cajon de Maipo, and I've read Mendoza, Argentina might have some interesting sights. Is there anything else you can recommend?

Thanks!

Ryan , I sent you an Email ...

coax

Adventurer
Thread bump. JP got any more adventure pictures? :)

Here's one from a trip long ago.
DSCF0008%2520Colorful%2520Houses%2520and%2520Boats%252C%2520Chiloe%252C%2520Chile.JPG

guestwho

Observer
Hey I'm still in Chile but haven't been on any adventures yet. Thinking about buying a cheap diesel suzuki vitara or similar since the price of diesel here is so much cheaper than gasoline.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Chile really does have some pretty cool stuff to visit, but it takes time as it's a VERY long narrow country. We left Ushuaia in late January, traveling north mainly via Chile, and just finally left Chile a few weeks ago (July).

We got to see some brilliant things,

MERV5648.jpg
from modern high tek in the extreme north,

MERV0214.jpg
To ancient wooden churches on Chiloe Island

IMG_0320.jpg
and a bit of hiking in Torres del Paine.

Brilliant spot for overland travel, by bike, 4x4 or truck. Backpacks + busses work well too.

Click on the link to see our overlanding tales from Chile by unimog, and then click on the "older posts" to keep going back. There are quite a few!

Merv.

coax

Adventurer
Chile really does have some pretty cool stuff to visit, but it takes time as it's a VERY long narrow country. We left Ushuaia in late January, traveling north mainly via Chile, and just finally left Chile a few weeks ago (July).

We got to see some brilliant things,

View attachment 179955
from modern high tek in the extreme north,

View attachment 179956
To ancient wooden churches on Chiloe Island

View attachment 179958
and a bit of hiking in Torres del Paine.

Brilliant spot for overland travel, by bike, 4x4 or truck. Backpacks + busses work well too.

Click on the link to see our overlanding tales from Chile by unimog, and then click on the "older posts" to keep going back. There are quite a few!

Merv.

Very nice! Looks like great fun!

Did it snow on you at the Torres? :) I was there in late october/early november (can't remember) and got snowed on! Very similar weather to the colorado rockies: not predicable!

DSCF0024%2520Los%2520Torres%2520Hidden%2520in%2520Clouds%252C%2520Torres%2520del%2520Paine%2520NP%252C%2520Chile.JPG

mervifwdc

Adventurer
No snow on the Torres for us, but plenty of Wind, and serious rain one day of the 12 that we stayed in the park.

MERV7767.jpg

We had a perfect few mornings looking at the Torres, both from hiking up to them, and from far away looking between the hills. Stunning! We were there in February. I can tell that you hiked up, bet that was cold and tough!

Merv.

Seeker

Adventurer
Great pics. Every time I pop into this thread it makes me want to go back, to which my wife says "Sure! When are we going?"

jpvm

Explorer
Great pics. Every time I pop into this thread it makes me want to go back, to which my wife says "Sure! When are we going?"

ahahahhaha ... great to have a partner (your wife) that "burns with water" for adventure and travelling !!!

Congrats
JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz