Chevy Suburban pop top adventure build

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
How can we get you started on your Astro?
Thanks for the enthusiasm and offer! Can you post a video of the process, start to finish? ? Kidding of course, though it would be cool.

You answered some questions in post #13 above but it's still not very clear to me. I'm thinking I should watch some surfboard construction videos and then PM you. Are you a shaper in real life?

86scotty

Cynic
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! I, for one, probably would've never seen it on the domestic SUV board. Glad you dropped it here.

This is definitely in the spirit of the vanlife board. Lets not move this thread anywhere.
I wonder if a torsion box made out of 1/8 inch ply would add the needed rigidity and make this top sturdy enough for all the solar panels and kayaks I desperately want to bolt onto it.
Can you help direct me how to move this to the appropriate board?

Thanks for the enthusiasm and offer! Can you post a video of the process, start to finish? ? Kidding of course, though it would be cool.

You answered some questions in post #13 above but it's still not very clear to me. I'm thinking I should watch some surfboard construction videos and then PM you. Are you a shaper in real life?
Yes YouTube moldless fiberglass composite parts and pm with any questions. I am definitely not a shaper this was my first fiberglass project haha

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.

Smoker

Observer
Agree with everyone about keeping this thread here. Your craftsmanship is amazing. It definitely fits with vans and I think we appreciate this so much more than the followers of the generic full size rigs.

ricardo

Observer
Here are some more of the fiberglass construction.. does anybody know how to add a cardboard honeycomb layer into fiberglass? That's what Sportsmobile uses for their top and I would like to do that next time around
Trust me ...

One of the best "Composites" is the foam it self, now that you shave it, you can still make so "Ribs" out of foam and fiber glass them as Snifter, but you do need to plan very well your mounting/attachment points, my personal favorite Phenolic boards (like those brown laminates in old electronics) easy to work, super stable and last forever too....
photo6-XL.jpg

Cardboard is for Boxes, cheap doors and Ikea crap..

This is definitely in the spirit of the vanlife board. Lets not move this thread anywhere.
I wonder if a torsion box made out of 1/8 inch ply would add the needed rigidity and make this top sturdy enough for all the solar panels and kayaks I desperately want to bolt onto it.
I would bolt anything you wanted on the factory roof rails on the top of the shell. The fiberglass is very strong and thick around the perimeter and is reinforced with a 1” x 1.5” band of plywood.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You mention in your first post that you have lots of pictures.

Are your many pictures in a photo album online somewhere to which you could post a link for us to view all you handy work?

Hey all just a reminder this is for sale now: Check out the post below with some more pictures:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz