Chevy Express with Boulder 2" lift with 255/85R16??

MTNWAGON

Here goes.. First post after getting my 2004 Chevy Express 1500.

My wife and I are building this to be a camping/toy hauler for mountain biking, rock climbing, and Aqua Blanca adventures. My current plans:
1) Whynter Fridge 45 Qt. ordered, frame housing unit the same as "The White Buffalo" build.
2) Hell Roaring Isolator/Combiner for Deep Cycle Battery system- still researching
3) Lift Kit from Boulder or Rough Country
4) New tires****
5) Frame out bed for storage underneath, bed will be perpendicular to the vehicle.

**** Here is my question, has anyone seen an Express Van with only a 2" lift running the 255/85R16's or can you only run up to the 265/75R16? I know that most of the time you need a 6" lift to run 33" tires, but most everything I have seen is a wide 33" tire. Hoping anyone has information on this tall skinny tire fitting a Chevy Express.

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 96197

You're probably going to get plenty of opposing opinions about this, tire size all ways sparks a debate, but the absolute truth of it is, suspension lift does not increase your tire size options, as long as your bump stops are in the same place when you fully flex out the suspension the things that would have hit with out the lift will still hit.
So you have a few options, you can lower your bump stops so that you don't get any rub, (and here is where the lift misconception comes from) if you lower your bump stops you will reduce your travel so to gain that travel back you might need to increase your lift. Or your second major option (which happens to be my favorite option) you can move/remove (sawsall and welder) anything that might rub, this is the basis of low center of gravity builds. (there are some exceptions to these rules, but I'm not trying to write a book here)
Bigger tires aren't always better though, for your goals a good 31-32 will probably get you everywhere you need to go. Most (if not all) of those express's are 2wd, right? Rather than bigger tires a rear locker goes a long way in a 2wd.

MTNWAGON

AdventureLife, I completely understand what you are saying about the fact that there are many options or "tools in the tool box" to accomplish a variety of tasks when it comes to suspension and tires, with what an individuals over all goals are. I was just hoping to see if anyone out there has attempted the said set-up; small lift on an Express Van and had room to clear 255/85R16.

Thank you for your feed back. Also to clarify, my Van is AWD.

If anyone has pictures or knows someone running this set up that would be great to see.

justcuz

Explorer
Check down in the van section.
There are several Chevy Express vans under construction there. One guy in Colorado has 3. 2 4wd and 1 2wd.
Guys are running a variety of tires and lifts.

Boardrider 247 posted a list of GM van info along with a current build list of about a dozen current AWD GM van builds on the thread.
Look in the 2wd and 4wd van section down further in the forum listings.

Last edited:

MTNWAGON

Thanks. Any suggestions where I should start a build thread for a Chevy Express? Already framed out the bed with great photos. Fridge and lift kit have just arrived, hoping to have full install in the next few weeks.

endneu913

SWEET RIG- And Drivers side barneys to boot!

Im looking at that same 2" Lift from Boulder and wondering how big of tire one can stuff in there... Love that more folks are fooling around with Express rigs now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles