Chevy Express Van DIY spare tire carrier

Burgundy savanna

Hi Guys, I’m new to this forum so I’ll try to learn the etiquette as I go. I posted on Facebook a while ago about a DIY tire carrier that I built and then I was pleased to see someone posted about it on this forum.

I know I’m not the first person to create a tire carrier for the GM vans, but when I was looking for an inexpensive ‘kit’ online, I couldn’t find one that would work with this van unless I cut/welded into the body or thin sheet metal on the doors.

Installing a rear tire carrier is difficult on our vans due to the location of the rear door hinges; I custom bent a tube to solve this problem:

View attachment 521766
View attachment 521767
I don’t see how to post personal address?

Burgundy savanna

scottrinne

Hi Burgundy Savanna, I only sell the hoop. The hinge location on our vans makes it difficult to fabricate your own spare tire carrier at an affordable price; this hoop solves that problem. However, you will still need to be able to fabricate the brackets, latches, and hinges.

If you want a hoop, then send me a private message and I'll reply. I ship out of Minnesota...the price is $150 plus shipping for each custom bent hoop.

scottrinne

I have a couple custom bent tubes available and ready to ship if anyone is interested in building a spare tire carrier for their vans. The price of metal has gone up, but the price for each hoop is still the same: $150 plus shipping. UPS shipping from Minnesota is the only option right now, but I can give you a quote of the exact shipping if you give me your address.

The hinge location on our GM vans makes it difficult for people to fabricate their own spare tire carrier. This custom bent tube (hoop) solves that problem. However, you will still need to be able to fabricate the rest of it yourself.

IMG_4301.JPG

scottrinne

I bent up some More tubes this weekend. I have a driver‘s side and a mirror pair ready to ship.

let me know if you want a shipping quote.
E25E79A1-22C6-4B99-85D6-E36EF75A9115.jpeg

upsidedown

Great solution for our Chevy Vans. The bending on the hoops is designed to follow the body lines perfectly. I just started getting my tire carrier (drivers side), mounted.

on my mounts I used poly bushings from Ruff Stuff for the hinge pivot.

31DD9013-7164-406B-974E-4B5D48DDAC67.jpeg

scottrinne

Great solution for our Chevy Vans. The bending on the hoops is designed to follow the body lines perfectly. I just started getting my tire carrier (drivers side), mounted.

on my mounts I used poly bushings from Ruff Stuff for the hinge pivot.

That's awesome! It looks great so far.

I put my latch on the stock bumper, but I have seen photos of other people sticking it out from under the floor (so all mounts are on the body). What are you planning to do for your latch?

upsidedown

That's awesome! It looks great so far.

I put my latch on the stock bumper, but I have seen photos of other people sticking it out from under the floor (so all mounts are on the body). What are you planning to do for your latch?
I’m welding up a rear bumper right now so I will be mounting the latch to the bumper when I finish. The reason I used the poly bushings is that they have some flex to them. I think they have enough flex to allow the latch to be on the bumper without worrying about the difference in the body/frame moving separately. There is some movement between them with the body on frame with rubber bushing body mounts.

I bought my latches from Ruff Stuff.

scottrinne

10/17/2023 Just an update:
I currently don't have the time to bend and sell tubes anymore. If you can find a fabricator in your area that bends tube, then show them the video above and they will most likely be able to follow the directions on making a hoop for you.

Thank you to all the people that purchased them from me in the past.

Sorry and good luck with your builds!
-Scott Rinne-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles