Chevy Express paint wear - door jambs

dleeallen

Adventurer
I've got a 2014 Express AWD w/ 100k on it. It was a gov't rig that served as a shuttle van in PA. Not sure how much time was pavement vs dirt roads but tend to assume highway mostly since the avg speed calculated out to about 43mph based on the hour meter. Anyway, all the door jambs have paint rubbed away where the rubber gaskets touch. They didn't put mud flaps on it so the rockers are all chipped up too. Seems like the paint on these is pretty thin/fragile.

Anyone else having this issue in the door jambs? Curious how you have dealt with it. Thinking I need to paint it but can't really do bedliner where the gaskets touch. I'll probably do bedliner on the rockers.

Scotty D

The paint on earlier versions of these vans is notoriously bad, especially white. I am hoping this was ironed out by 2009 (the year of my van) otherwise its a ticking time bomb

Choff

Adventurer
I have got 180,000 miles on our GMC Savana with no paint issues -ever?? , drive year round in some **** Wisconsin winters.
Dark Green paint also
Must be the white ones they paint for the construction trades??
We have a fleet of white ones at work and I see the hoods with bad paint also.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Interesting. I think mine was on dirt roads in PA in it's former life. Maybe that was enough vibration it made the door seals wear the paint. I think the hood is fine but it was painted after some sort of minor fender bender in it's past.

wjeeper

Must be the white ones they paint for the construction trades??
We have a fleet of white ones at work and I see the hoods with bad paint also.

It does seem to be a white paint thing! My rig had perfect white paint when I first bought it. I found eventually that it had a wrap in its a previous life. The paint has rapidly deteriorated after a year without the protection of the wrap.

Johny5

Adventurer
My white paint is bad on the hood and one rear door .
The rear door is getting worse daily .

I talked to paint shop and they said they would need to take it down to bare metal and re prime& paint to fix it.

dleeallen

Adventurer
My white paint is bad on the hood and one rear door .
The rear door is getting worse daily .

I talked to paint shop and they said they would need to take it down to bare metal and re prime& paint to fix it.

Yours is peeling? I would agree on taking it down to metal and starting over since it's some kind of adhesion issue. Start fresh. Mine isn't peeling, it's just worn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems with paint on my white chevy van, circa 2002 with 155K miles on it. I'm not the original owner so it may have been be repainted. I agree no shortage of white chevy van's on the road with paint peeling off.

dleeallen

Adventurer
A few pictures of wear spots on my van. Rear and side door openings as an example.

a3b6769bff99f6f7dc81a2e78b065896.jpg
9d0c8288bd997c8e5170d5e5da96f17f.jpg
a7d9ff83b072c3afcfd6b580d44acc11.jpg

Choff

Adventurer
A lot of movement on those big doors going down the road !!!,
that is why the paint is worn off, I have that issue also. I have gotten some matching paint and touch up.

dleeallen

Adventurer
A lot of movement on those big doors going down the road !!!,
that is why the paint is worn off, I have that issue also. I have gotten some matching paint and touch up.

I was starting to think it was just mine ;) I wonder if the vans with driver's side doors are worse because the whole body is less rigid with the extra opening?

Choff

Adventurer
don't think less ridged - but maybe? , but Have you looked at your frame, AWD with side doors to me have a very large frame rails

wjeeper

Doesn't look bad on the back, but looks pretty bad on the sides! How are the door hinges?

What I have seen happen is the hinges start to seize and then the hinges start to break the welds holding the door to the hinge. The culprit is usually the lower hinge. The pin is driven in from the bottom side allowing the hinge to collect water. If the pin doesn't rotate with the door when it opens and closes, its seized. Order up some greasable replacement pins, then the fun part begins! This website has a good description of how to do the job, although they are doing it on a new van without seized hinges so it looks easy!
http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/mechanical/door/GM_van_hinge_pin/greasable_pin.html

I tried penetrating oil, welding a nut to the end, an air hammer and even a sledge hammer. I eventually resorted to cutting the barrel of the hinge to relieve the pressure and then welded it back up. If you look closely in the background you can see where the hinge was re-welded after it was tearing from the door post.
[URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/wjeeper/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspwdhvdcd.jpg.html]
image_zpsrjzgitdk.jpg
[/URL]

Another spot that seems to be a problem is the bottom of the rear side door. The spot welds seem to break letting both doors rattle. This pic may explain the repair better than I could describe it:

Choff

Adventurer
HOLY **** !!! , I have had hinge problems also, had to cold chisel one out also with small sludge hammer and lots of fluid , what a job, hope to not due that again and now almost every month, do the penetrating fluid, small amount !!! and let soak, and work side doors more often helps too !!!
have no issues with front doors or rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online