Chevy Express Lift or 4x4 Options

I recently purchased a 2010 Chevy Express 3500 for use as an adventure vehicle. I bought it to replace my F350/toy hauler combo with the intent of carrying my motorcycle to the race track for track days, sleeping in, and exploring the desert and back country.

As it sits, it's a stock passenger van but I removed the seats and installed a Pit-Bull motorcycle trailer restraint system which works great for hauling the bike. With the bike out an air mattress fits in well and I've made window block-outs to keep it cool and dark. I'm still working on storage plans but in the meantime have a lot of places for ratchet straps to keep equipment from rattling and squeaking.

However I have bigger plans that include off-road capability to explore the mountains and desert. I know there are a few 4x4 conversion companies out there that work on GM vans, but one has lots of negative reviews, one won't touch a van with more than 60k miles on it (and is on the other side of the country), and the third wants more to convert than I spent on the van.

I'm not 100% sold on 4x4 however, since many of the places I plan to go just need ground clearance. So I'm also considering just lifting the van and installing a locking differential along with some larger tires (33's or 35's).

One company makes a lift kit made for vans, however I'm not too impressed by a kit that includes poly blocks, so I'm beginning to do some research to see if any of the lift parts for the GM trucks also fit the vans. With all the wannabe Baja trucks running around southern California I'm curious if I could do a similar setup with my van. Basically I'd like something that can handle rough washboard roads without rattling the fillings out of my teeth. Maybe more suspension travel would be handy, but I'm really after clearance for a larger tire to smooth out the ride. Again, will pickup truck parts fit? In addition, I spoke with the guys at King Shock and they can custom make shocks for the van, but don't have anything to do with the lift. Their prices weren't too bad.

If I go 4x4 I'm leaning toward a solid front axle conversion. The GM AWD setup is 1/2T only so I don't think that would fit. I'm not sure if anyone successfully transplanted that onto a heavier duty van anyway. However if a truck swap is doable, I'm open to ideas. My fabrication space is limited so an easier project is welcome. I've also seen some minimal install leaf spring conversions but it looked like they needed some welding and have no idea how they drive, so I'm not ruling anything out. If anyone on here has done a build, I'd love to hear your experience, 2WD or 4x4. And if you know of truck parts that fit, please let me know.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If you really want 4wd, I would sell the van and buy one already done IMO. I'm guessing you spent 15k on the van, you'd spend at least another 10 on a nice 4wd conversion, probably more. I'd sell it and see what 25k would buy me.

Selling isn't an option since I just bought the van to modify to my tastes.

$25k will not get me a 4x4 GM van, I looked. It could get me a Ford but I don't like Ford's extended van design. I'm not 100% bent on 4x4 but want to keep it an option.

Dirtandsurf

Selling isn't an option since I just bought the van to modify to my tastes.

$25k will not get me a 4x4 GM van, I looked. It could get me a Ford but I don't like Ford's extended van design. I'm not 100% bent on 4x4 but want to keep it an option.

Did you check out these guys? http://boulderoffroadvans.com/ They make a 2wd lift spindle. You could also hit up one of many reputable off-road fab shops and have them do a custom coil-over set up with the spindle (the spindle will give you a bunch more clearance) Cut the coil bucket out and make custom mounts to put a real shock in there. Or even simpler I have seen the bucket in place and the shock go through the top of the spring bucket, they were king 3" shocks on the back of a a arm explorer in the baja 1000. Where there is a will there is a way, the biggest issue is space. I thought it would be fun to do something like this with a selectable locker in the rear and some 33's and you can smooth out those washboard roads.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I would check out BDS suspension products. Many GM springs are interchangeable so you could probably find pick up stuff that would work for your van. Also BDS has the best garantee and lift options available. I hope this helps. Cheers, chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles