Chevy Express 4X4 Lift Kit

GBLandau

Hi folks. New member here. I recently purchased a 2015 Roadtrek 190P with the Quigley 4X4 conversion. The van is a 2015 Chevy Express 3500. I am interested in getting a 3" lift installed and looking at options. I know Quigley has a 3" lift available as well as Weldtec (but these appear to be out of stock). I have some 4X4 experience with Jeeps but am not familiar with the Quigley system (or newer GMs either). I am looking for lift kit recommendations Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

GBLandau

Likely looking at a suspension lift. Had not thought about a body lift. Are there inherent benefits to one over the other? Thanks, Mike

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I think suspension lifts make your rig more capable. If you're leaning that way, I would definitely contact WeldTec for their front lift spindles.

I lifted my Astro 4" with a combination of 2" body pucks under the front subframe, 2" of lift from cranking up the front torsion keys, and swapping in S10 rear leafs in the back. I followed this thread to do it. Other people have accomplished the same using 3" pucks and only 1" of torsion key lift. I would definitely go that route were I to do it again (more on that in the last paragraph).

I feel like I've read you can do something similar with the Express/Savana using re-indexed torsion keys and Silverado rear leafs. Poke around on here and you can probably find the thread(s).

FWIW, I would have gone the WeldTec way if they made lift spindles for the Astro. Cranking up the keys pre-loads the torsion bars and moves the lower control arms more vertical. That makes bumps and potholes a lot more jarring than they would otherwise be.

Last edited:

whith

You can easily get a couple inches by getting re indexed keys for the front and blocks for the rear. These vans actually benefit from re indexed keys, or at least mine did. My control arms and drive shafts are pretty level now after doing it and before they were pointing slightly up. My van is also a 2015 3500. The keys you want should be from a later model H2 and some Silverados. I’d also recommend replacing your front bump stops with some from Sumo/Super spring. Weldtec custom rear springs are also an option.

Im now running a 285x70x17 tire now by the way and it rides great. No rubbing issues after doing a little trimming in the front body mount.

Last edited:

Vandy Halen

Good morning all. New member and new owner of this 2017 Chevy Express 3500 Quigley as of Monday! Regarding the lift question from GBLandau, I went to Traxda in Tucson on Wednesday and they put on a kit that included rear blocks, new Torsion keys, and they even fabbed up some blocks for my rear airbags so they would still function. My rig did not come from Quigley with their 3 inch lift. Justin at Traxda was outstanding to work with and they will be putting this lift on their website shortly along with detailed instructions and photographs from my install. I took a bunch of pics myself so if anyone has more specific questions Ill do my best to answer them or send pics. I posted a before and after pic below along with a pic of the spacer they made for my airbags. In less than an hour they drew it on CAD, laser cut the parts, had it welded, and powder coated! (disclaimer I was not paid by Traxda for this. I just reached out to them and they were very accommodating and willing to help me out)

Also, thanks to Whit on this forum for giving me a tour of his van and a lot of great advice on the mods for these rigs before I went and purchased this one. If anyone is interested I plan to post updates on my build on instagram on @4x4boogievan and will also try to post here (if I can figure out the right thread to use)!

Cheers!

20210325_133857.jpg20210324_161540.jpg20210324_161540.jpg20210324_112510.jpg20210325_133857.jpg20210324_161540.jpg20210324_112510.jpg20210325_133857.jpg20210324_161540.jpg

whith

Looks like it came out great! When you get a chance, could you measure youre height at the top of each wheel well? Be interested to see how it compares to mine. What size tire as well? Congrats again, great find.

Vandy Halen

Looks like it came out great! When you get a chance, could you measure youre height at the top of each wheel well? Be interested to see how it compares to mine. What size tire as well? Congrats again, great find.
Thanks Whit! I did 3 inch blocks in the rear and the top of tire to wheelwell in the rear is 3 inches. In the front it's about 2 1/4. That said I've got quite a bit of room left to work with up front. the plan is to get tires and adjust the front up slightly as necessary. if the rear is a little high, traxda makes 2 and 2.5 inch blocks so could easily swap out if needed to get it perfectly level. I asked for the 3's specifically. go big or go home! Planning to trim the front body mounts and fenders this week them go try some tires/wheels on for size. I'm grabbing new shocks this week too.

whith

Thanks. Once you get new tires I'd be interested to know the size of those and the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well. I think mine could still up up a little more and may hit Traxda up for the keys you got depending.

Vandy Halen

Thanks. Once you get new tires I'd be interested to know the size of those and the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well. I think mine could still up up a little more and may hit Traxda up for the keys you got depending.
Just to clarify my previous post, prior to the lift I had 6 inches between the top of tire to edge of wheel well on all 4 corners. Post lift its 9 inches in the rear and 8 1/4 in front.

El_Viajero

.....and they even fabbed up some blocks for my rear airbags so they would still function.

What type of airbags are you running? I have ride-rite but reached out to Traxda and it looks like the bolt pattern is different. I may just swap airbags if that's the easiest solution. How do you like your airbags?

whith

I have Airlift bags sitting on top of Daystar cups so they nest on the bottom but can flex off the axle. Been really happy with them. No lift platform needed for under the bags. I ordered them but didn't end up needing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94