Chevy Cutaway build ideas or links?

Terranaut

Well, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to most on here, meaning basic, low skill and dollar. And it doesn't appear that there has been much interest understandably so I'm a little hesitant to post the whole build.
Unless I'm totally off base here, hard to say without a view count if anyone has seen this thread or even interested. Didn't seem like it to me so far...

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Well, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to most on here, meaning basic, low skill and dollar. And it doesn't appear that there has been much interest understandably so I'm a little hesitant to post the whole build.
Unless I'm totally off base here, hard to say without a view count if anyone has seen this thread or even interested. Didn't seem like it to me so far...

I get the worry but, build threads usually get a lot more traffic than threads that only discuss the build, a lot of people will look at your build and pull some of the ideas for their own builds so post it up!

Terranaut

Ok, thx for the interest. If a couple more people show some interest and respond, will be glad to write up a full build thread. Like I said, not sure if there is sufficient interest on here as it's very lightweight compared to the typical full overland rig here.

Specifically, this will be a 4" styrofoam build, minimal wood frame on a 1.5" plywood deck with PMF ( poor man's fiberglass) surface coating. Advantages being low cost to build, require minimal skill and a few hand tools to build, easily obtained materials, great insulation, very lightweight and moderate durability overall. Intended for lite off-road duty at best. This was built on a low budget, minimal style, think comfortable backpack bivouac with wheels and as an experiment to determine durability and utility aspects.

The overall box, pics can be seen in this thread, is 7'*14'*6.5', all foam with only about 20, 1*4 pine for framing, 48" on center for the walls and 24" on center mostly for the roof. The exterior has been completed, the interior is approx 85% complete currently, and has run 10 hours of highway speed, survived 2"+ rain and maybe 10 miles of dirt road. All without leaving a trail of styrofoam beads in it's wake. ?
Oh, and it has almost 1400 watts of solar, which might add interest or value to some.

So if you want to hear more about the story and build of TERRA6, drop a comment.

Terranaut

Maybe a little teaser pic?
Van chassis, built a deck and bought some used 4" styrofoam and was going to build me a 7*14*6.5 giant beer cooler.
So instead of going over and opening the cooler to get a beer, was going to make the cooler big enough that I could live and travel from it on the inside. How cool is that?
Iceman kewl. Lol.
IMG_20181101_125736-1024x576.jpg

ckouba

Like I said, not sure if there is sufficient interest on here as it's very lightweight compared to the typical full overland rig here.

That doesn't matter. I am finding there is plenty for me to learn from all the threads around here. I had never heard of PMF before and now, the possibilities are endless! Curious to see what your solar package is as well.

If everyone did the same thing around here, it'd be pretty boring.

Chris

dblplay

Count me in. I've been looking to do something very similar and have been scraping for information. Your build and the foamie overcab build on TNTT look to be closest to what I want to do. Otherwise there's not a lot of information out there

Terranaut

Count me in. I've been looking to do something very similar and have been scraping for information. Your build and the foamie overcab build on TNTT look to be closest to what I want to do. Otherwise there's not a lot of information out there

Which foamie over cab are you referring to?

45Kevin

Adventurer
Very interesting build.
I will be watching to see how it holds up on washboard back roads.

x2 on reflectix on the cab windows and insulating the floor will help for both heat gain and loss.
Glue black felt to the outside of the reflectix for added insulation and stealth.

Terranaut

Very interesting build.
I will be watching to see how it holds up on washboard back roads.

Yes will be interesting to see how it holds up and durability. And there will be no aggressive driving over the rough stuff. Not willing to really test the durability so it will be like the Moto riders say, low and slow. As in low gear and slow speed.
If you want things to last, have to baby them. I'm going to baby this rig as much as possible since it's basically only stick framed, glue and styrofoam.
One must work with what one has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94