Chevy Cutaway build ideas or links?

Terranaut

Hi all. New here and just picked up a 2012 Chevy Cutaway for $4k. Looking for low budget ideas to build it out. So far have a 1.5" ply deck measuring 7'*12'.
Nothing fancy, solid and durable.
IMG_20180406_142257.jpgCan anyone provide some thoughts, links or leads for some builds?
Thinking PMF over plywood. Maybe a foam + PMF possible?
Would like to build the shell in the $1-1500 range which may limit my options I realize.
Thx for any input.

Jo_Duval

Observer
there is so many variables. you need to establish your needs. then comes layout, then comes materials chosen to build structure, then the interior, then... and then, and then and then... hahaha....

ive often thought saving a very old class C by dropping it on a newer cutaway van.

Terranaut

Thx. Can see my initial comment was too generic.
Was looking for some reference builds to determine proper strength requirements while maintaining light weight.
Saw IdaCampers build on pirate 4*4 and overland expeditions nice rig on here.
Lots to be learned but up there in price.
The holy Grail of course in strength, weight and low cost.
With a budget, cost is a factor.
What I would hope to be able to do is build a typical plain box shell, overland style, but with wood. Ideally PMF over thin plywood 2-5 mm ? with 1-2" foam sandwich. If I could do this and be strong enough without heavy framing to keep weight down is my question. Would love to do it all foamie but only seen one similar size on Tnttt which was like 4" foam with PMF skin on a 6*14 boat trailer I think.
Somebody must have been down this road before.
I know I can build it with heavier plywood and framing. Was wondering how light I can go to be strong enough with regards to wall skin/sheath and with how thick frames to be minimal weight. Think poor man's Idacamper, with only a 10 yr lifespan vs 20+ and at a fraction of the cost. The interior I can build and is the easy part with my minimalist needs.

Am not going to be doing anything serious in terms of rock climbing or off-road so won't require heavy duty. Far from it. Just typical camper strength.
Mostly ride pave 80% and some forest roads 20%.
If any one has any links, that would be greatly appreciated and avoid hours on Google and YouTube.
Thx again.

Last edited:

Terranaut

ive often thought saving a very old class C by dropping it on a newer cutaway van.
Thought the same thing as well but two problems with that. Finding a good solid camper body and think it would be allot more work than just building from new. Possibly even more expensive overall.
Looked at ambo bodies that seem to be heavy and not that spacious with low ceiling heights. Or building out a cargo box but finding one could be long. In the meantime, looking at buildout possibilities.

Terranaut

So I've got a build thread on another forum.
Should I link to it here, or repost the entire thing?
I realize that it isn't a rock crawling, world traveling expedition rig and so of limited interest on here, but alternatives can be interesting anyway. How many on here are actually doing the overland expedition thing for months?

Jo_Duval

Observer
maybe a link, or PM me a link :D

I am a weekender plus maybe a month out of the year, but currently that month has been spent out of the country so our rig is for weekends, racing to the crag from home and back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior