Chevy Colorado Z71 vs ZR2

COCOtoyo

Hey Guys,

I am a Toyota guy but coming over to this platform for the increased headroom.

I am wondering if I can build a Z71 with aftermarket icon suspension and have a more capable rig for less money overall. Or would you recommend going a ZR2 route?

Basically can I get Icon suspension on a Z71, fit 34" tires, and call it good? Or is there anything special about a ZR2 that will allow me to fit larger tires?

It is important for me to fit 34" tires atleast with full articulation (no lift kits or anything) for the type of wheeling I do.

Thanks!

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Go the ZR2 if you want lockers and factory warranty. The wider stance helps offset the goofy look some stock trucks have with larger tires. If you don't like the mulitmatics, King offers replacement OEM shocks for the front and rear now. So that will help fine tune the ride to your specifications. Plus the ZR2 can be fitted with AEV cutout flares and run 34/35" tires with the OEM leveling kit (new OCA with high angle balljoints).

If you want payload, get the regular Z71, order ZR2 locker stuff and toss that in if you want em. AEV doesn't offer cutout flares for the Z71 though, so you will have to go ICON and find the right setup that fits a 34" tire.

So it comes down to payload or cutout flares really.

COCOtoyo

Go the ZR2 if you want lockers and factory warranty. The wider stance helps offset the goofy look some stock trucks have with larger tires. If you don't like the mulitmatics, King offers replacement OEM shocks for the front and rear now. So that will help fine tune the ride to your specifications. Plus the ZR2 can be fitted with AEV cutout flares and run 34/35" tires with the OEM leveling kit (new OCA with high angle balljoints).

If you want payload, get the regular Z71, order ZR2 locker stuff and toss that in if you want em. AEV doesn't offer cutout flares for the Z71 though, so you will have to go ICON and find the right setup that fits a 34" tire.

So it comes down to payload or cutout flares really.

Awesome thank you.

Since you seem to know a lot about these trucks I wanted to ask if you have looked at the 589 fabrication suspension relocation kit. Do you think it is a good idea for hard use overlanders, and would the king shocks be compatable?

It seems so silly how the suspension hangs down so low.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I looked at those relocation kits but lost interest. I have no desire to start cutting and welding on my trucks frame just to gain some clearance. I just slapped on some shock skidz to take care of that issue. Easier to deal with. That I don't want some big ol rusty 589 logo to look at in a year or two.

COCOtoyo

I looked at those relocation kits but lost interest. I have no desire to start cutting and welding on my trucks frame just to gain some clearance. I just slapped on some shock skidz to take care of that issue. Easier to deal with. That I don't want some big ol rusty 589 logo to look at in a year or two.

Makes sense. Thank you!

spectre6000

Observer
The payload case only holds up if you count only what's printed on the sticker. The payload reduction in the ZR2 is due entirely to the lifted suspension. If you lift a Z71's suspension as much, or more, you end up with at least the same payload reduction and likely more depending on how far you go beyond the ZR2 and the presumed quality of your aftermarket parts.

Assuming you don't have substantial fabrication skills and facilities, and you value your time at all, your least expensive route to off road capability, specifically with 34" tires, is a ZR2 gasser with AEV's flares and associated modifications (I think you'd want 4.10 R&P and a speedometer recalibration to go with all of that). I haven't crunched the numbers or anything, but to get a Z71 to the same level of capability will cost at least double (there is a lot baked into that checkbox).

I mostly agree with Crazy Schooner on the shock relocation. If you're doing really hardcore stuff, they may make sense. For what I do, the skids are fine. YMMV.

emulous74

With either version Z71 or ZR2, you will need to cut fenders to fit 34" tires, you can get away with a skinny 34" tire (see ) Dave is the president of AEV and there is minor trimming to get the skinny 34" tires to work, basically the same that folks have been doing for 33" tires. The ZR2 with or without the Bison package, will be easier to do as mentioned with the High Mark Flare Kit from AEV, but that is massive cutting and a suggested 16 hour install. A fully loaded Z71 goes way over the base price of the ZR2, the differences are convenience/safety features (Z71) vs. hardware features that would cost a ton to add in the aftermarket, front and rear manual engaged lockers, much beefier shocks, a wider stance and lift, most of the Bison package items you can get direct from AEV. But used ZR2s and discounts on new ZR2/Bison's are widely available (if you don't want to negotiate, I can get friends and family pricing, just PM me). Personally, I'd go with a ZR2 and add 33" tires for the least outlay of money.

YetiX

It really depends on what you want. There is a Z71 package called the Trail Runner Edition (which I have). It has all the ZR2 protection and the tires, without the front locker and nice shocks for about $5k less. It also has the Bison front grille which looks **************. I put Fox shocks on it to raise it the same height as the ZR2 and when the tires wear out, plan on going to at least 32" tires if not 33". Beyond 33" tires, you need to seriously consider re-gearing which is more than I want to get into. For my purposes, I don't plan to off-road hard enough that I'll need a front locker. Your choice will depend on how hard you want to go.

Beltfed

Have a look at the differences that exist in the suspension and running gear between the ZR2 and the regular Colorados. They are significant in my opinion.

If you are moving from a Taco, ZR2 is the easy choice imho.

It can be as easy as 1,2,3.
1) Get a Bison,
2) add the Highmark flares, and
3) spin on 285/75R17 tires.

IMG_7749 by M J, on Flickr

(photo shows 285/70R17s, but I'm convinced the 285/75R17s will work fine without necessarily getting a re-gear)

Last edited:

Thegiantpeaches

Have a look at the differences that exist in the suspension and running gear between the ZR2 and the regular Colorados. They are significant in my opinion.

1) Get a Bison,

(photo shows 285/70R17s, but I'm convinced the 285/75R17s will work fine without necessarily getting a re-gear)
Matt felderman from AEV also just teased on zr2 zone with a trim plate for front and rear flare of existing zr2 flares to work with 33's without leveling kit. Supposedly releasing later this month I think.

Redheddedwonder

1) Get a Bison,

Why is everyone so into the Bison? Save the money and put it towards the options you want if you plan to replace the flares anyways. Priced out all the options on the bison barely save you money over buying them individually. Not to mention the bumpers a very spendy. Can get a rear swing out bumper for close to the same price as aev. Just my thoughts

Last edited:

Beltfed

Because they rock. ?

If it wasn't the Bison, I would have went with a Rubi Gladiator (and may yet in a few years).
People buy them for the same reasons people buy Rubicon model Jeeps or up-fitted other trucks and SUVs I suppose.
Turn key (mostly), factory warranty, etc.

There isn't anything on the Bison package that isn't practical (embroidered seats and some badging aside), and the aftermarket goodies that AEV and Chevy have come up with are well thought out and executed.

There is still enough to tweak here in there however, so there is still plenty to wrench on.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Link to the ZR2 zone post?
It was a facebook comment/reply type of post.

Quoted
"Front AND rear trim templates, closeout panels and support brackets.

No leveling kit required but perfect for anyone running a 33”
??

$129 MSRP. ETA 1 month approx"

"we designed it to clear a 33” tire WITHOUT a leveling but we are going to recommend it for the “extra breathing room” "

120635923_1034331033680212_1384587250495289245_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz