Chevy Colorado Z71 vs ZR2

Redheddedwonder

Because they rock. ?

If it wasn't the Bison, I would have went with a Rubi Gladiator (and may yet in a few years).
People buy them for the same reasons people buy Rubicon model Jeeps or up-fitted other trucks and SUVs I suppose.
Turn key (mostly), factory warranty, etc.

There isn't anything on the Bison package that isn't practical (embroidered seats and some badging aside), and the aftermarket goodies that AEV and Chevy have come up with are well thought out and executed.

There is still enough to tweak here in there however, so there is still plenty to wrench on.
I was just saying compared to the ZR2. I get the factory supported accessories, and if money is no issue. But if you are trying to save money like the OP, in terms of capability the bison is no different than ZR2. Aev front bumper actually makes the approach angle worse than factory. You can add the highmark flares to a non bison ZR2.

Beltfed

I suppose it would depend on sales and what one can get one compared to a regular ZR2, and what folks place on the value of the add ons - particularly factory installed and warrantied items such as the skid plating, winch ready front bumper and rear bumper. I usually go aftermarket with wheels as an example, and I quite dislike the factory regular ZR2 'cock-n-balls' wheels, while I really like the ones on the Bison. That has saved me a bundle, as I'm not out shopping Methods or the like.
The AEV front bumper isn't ideal in a few respects, but neither are a lot of aftermarket stuff that will hang down just as far or offer up other challenges like added weight, bulk, etc.
For the most part, I think a lot of the AEV stuff for the Bison (both factory equipped and the AEV aftermarket) is compatible with the ZR2 and lots of folks have added AEV stuff to their ZR2s, but buying the stuff piece-meal isn't cheap, and certainly not cheaper than getting it equipped at the factory.

TwinStick

Explorer
Lockers...... better to have them & not need them than to need them & not have them !

Seriously, you don't need them very often but when you do, they are worth their weight in gold !

I absolutely love our 2019 diesel ZR2.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
My wife’s daily is the ZR2, while my brother has a Z71. To me the ZR2 rides a little better, and the lockers are great if you need them. That said, I’ve been hunting with my brother, and in factory form the Z71 is very capable. The limited slip rear locker in the Z71 is pretty good (it locks when it detects slipping), but there’s no replacement for the lockers. I think you’d be money ahead to get the ZR2, and then from there decide how you want to mod it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94