Chevy Colorado Z71 CCSB 2.8L

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
So about a month ago I decided that I was tired of throwing money at older vehicles to keep them on the road, let alone confident enough to do any remote trips with. So I walked into a local Chevy dealer with my eyes on a preowned 2.8 diesel Colorado. Well, long story short I ended up driving off in a new one instead. In my defense my payments are where I wanted them so I'm happy. And the sales woman throw in a pack of Starburst in the cupholder. Score!

Goal is a rig capable of BDR's and the TransAm Trail while being daily driveable and comfy for passengers. I also own horses so I need decent pulling power so a ZR2 with its 5k lb tow cap wasnt an option. This was the truck right before I drove it off the lot.
resized11.4.1.jpg

So I quickly began the build. I had sold these previously and kept myself in the loop on aftermarket because I always knew I would own one.
To keep things simple I decided I wouldnt jack it up too much. I knew a bumper and winch would serve me well all around, offroad and in general. The heavy bumper works great should I strike a deer, elk, etc on my commute and the winch is going to be really handy with property maintenance, pulling felled trees.

I decided on the ARB Summit bumper.
Unlike the AEV bumper, the ARB comes with everything you need included, no need to by winchplates or foglights, etc. And like the AEV, the ARB is airbag compatible. It's also less expensive and was also a pre-Black Friday special!
To fit inside I picked up a Warn VR EVO 10-s to keep the weight down while also giving me Warn dependability but at a more affordable cost. It was also a Black Friday special!
For suspension I was debating on ICON, Old Man Emu and Fox. When it came down to brass tax and bang for the buck I decided on the OME 1" HD diesel leveling kit. OME makes 6 different kits. I essentially got the one tuned to carry the weight of the diesel motor, bumper and winch. So far it is taking the weight of the front end well. It currently sits about 1 1/2" over stock after 1 week on the truck. I expect it to settle a little. I didnt splurge on the ICON or Fox due to my concerns over all the weight and ride quality due to it.

Here is the truck post leveling, bumper and winch with the stock 255/65/17 Goodyear Fortunas. Got it washed at the dealership and the Sales woman left another pack of Starburst in the cupholder. Score!
resized12.4.2.jpg
resizeddaylitepretire.1.jpg

So tire selection is always hard. Load E was a must due to my past experiences on C rated tires off road. I wanted a brand and tread with a good reputation and I took into account past experiences both personal and professional. I also looked at actual tire size and not just what the manufacturer says it is. Not all 31's are actually 31" right?
So I zeroed in on BFG KO2's, Cooper AT3's and the Cooper ST Maxx. KO2's came in a bit smaller than either Cooper and I got a nasty tear in one last year on one that probably shouldnt have happened so....The AT3's a solid tire and had served me well in winter but they left a lot to be desired in mucky stuff due to the blocks being so closely spaced and no shoulder lugs (the AT3 XLT isnt made smaller than a 285-75-17 currently) so that left the ST Maxx. My old work still uses them on their plow trucks and they measure a hair under 32". Big O was happy to order and install them for me, Ive been going to the same store for years and their service on tires has been awesome.
resized265.70.17.1.jpg
The truck was obviously dirty before mounting. lol
The ST Maxx in 265/70/17 comes in almost 2 full inches taller than the stock Goodyear Fortuna's and fill the fenders nicely. No rubbing noticed yet and I don't think it will. There's still quite a bit of space despite what the picture above hints. An increase in road noise has been noticed but nothing more than I have experienced with KO2's.

That's how the truck currently sits one month after leaving the lot.
I have some other Black Friday sales goodies heading my way in the next few weeks including a Prinsu roofrack and a Victory 4x4 bedrack. I have the full AEV skids on order through my local 4x4 parts store which will save me over $200 in shipping. Other plans may include a CBI rear bumper but Im mounting a spare in the bed for winter wheeling.

And I know, I'm really cramming this build into one winter. I wasted too much time the last few years.... And it is good to be back doing something I love!

Snow expected this weekend, may find a few minutes to go play and try out the new tires! But maybe I'll go by the dealership to see if Starburst appear in my cupholder again.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
The new Colorado is a solid platform. My brother has a 2018 Z71 Crew Cab Long Box V-6 and my wife has a 2019 ZR2 Crew Cab V-6, and both are great trucks. I've heard a lot of good things about the diesel, but it would have been the wrong setup for my wife and I (my brother could have used one if he would have found the right price). I like the progress of your build, it looks great!

rkj__

Adventurer
Congratulations, I hope the truck serves you well.

Just curious, why do you call the stock Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tires "Fortunas?"

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Update as we're currently sitting:
AEV skids are on. That transmission one is a PITA! And drilling into the frame for one of the fuel skid supports is impossible without a compact 90degree drill.
Bed rack is also on and outfitted. Ive left my MaxTrax and shovel on there most of the winter for getting work vehicles and other commuters unstuck. I also hated my chainsaw getting oil on my back seats or sliding around the bed so I bolted the case to the bedrack. During my newfound 'isolation' I started clearing some deadfall at my hunting property and there's a lot more to cut so it'll stay there for awhile.

As far as trips goes I have dates set for the Alpine Loop in a few months.
Currently debating on 3 different trips on Memorial day weekend too.aprilSized.jpgfrontfirewoodSized.jpgfirewoodloadSized.jpg

cjjohn

Great looking truck! We are looking at these now. Probably going from a JKU to one of these.... I reckon I'll keep my CJ though....

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Still waiting on a lot of trails to open but was able to run around this past weekend. Trucks been great and Im loving the St Maxx and OME suspension. We'll see whats open next weekend.

Attachments

• AspensGreer2sizeed.jpg
    AspensGreer2sizeed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
KellyFlatMudpuddle_paint.jpg
Kellybigdrop_Trim_paint.jpg

Ran Kelly Flats today. Its one of the harder trails in northern Colorado. Took both bypasses on the named obstacles due to separate large groups of jeeps ( wasnt going to do The Chutes anyway). Trail still took about 2 1/2 hrs. Started it solo but ended up behind a small group of 4 jeeps in front and a lightly modified F150 behind me. One Jeep got himself good on a rocky drop and the F150 destroyed his driverside step somewhere along the way. I must say that the AEV skids are absolutely ************. They were put to good use and after a post-trail inspection I cant see putting any other skids under a Colorado. I apologize, pics and vids were light during the technical sections due to focusing on the task at hand and forgetting to turn the cameras on.

All in all its a great trail to test a truck around here. Rocky climbs, rocky decents, tight trees, mud puddles, meadows and vistas aplenty. Even saw a baby raptor (maybe owl). At the end of the trail the lady and myself were pretty stoked and on a natural high about what we accomplished. Definitely proud of the truck, with just a 1" OME level it proved some guys at the trailhead wrong. Will probably run it again after more trails open and there hopefully aren't long lines and large groups.

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Nice looking truck! From San Diego originally? My daughter is at CSU and I love going to visit her. Going to put in for some deer tags next year too.

Indeed. I moved back to SD and immediately regretted it. I still love my friars though. I love it in CO. If you're up here to visit definitely send me a PM and I'll be happy to go wheeling with you.

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Thought about making a trip report but decided to post here instead.
So 2 buddies, my lady and myself recently did a 3 day weekend offroad trip to and around Moab.
We left work on Thursday night and rolled into Gateway Colorado at 12:30am, meeting one of my buddies at a campsite he set up earlier. Friday morning we took the John Brown Canyon Trail and Kokopelli Trail into Moab.
sized-IMG_8321.JPG
sized-KokoFleetMirror.JPG
sized-KokoAspenMtns.JPG
sized-KokoAirdown.JPG
sized-IMG_8397.JPG
sized-KokoFatSquirrel.JPG
The route was about 51miles or so with a few stops for pictures etc.
Once in Moab we grabbed lunch and fishing licenses and headed southeast of town to La Sal Pass. It was a great destination, in contrast to the heat and crowds of Moab, we spent the evening in the 50's and only saw one other truck on the trail and there were no other campers at Medicince Lakes. To top if off we had some trout with our regular dinner.
sized-MoabFromLaSal.JPG
LaSalMuddrop_Trim_Moment.jpg
sized-20200620_105546.jpg

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Saturday morning we broke camp and were heading out just has people were showing up to fish. We stopped at Milts in Moab for lunch and headed north to Dome Plateau. We didnt reach the trailhead until about 2pm and still tired from the late drive Thursday, one of my buddys decided to make camp in a pretty popular spot, while my truck and the Tacoma would try for the Dome Plateau Overlook. A few technical sections between us and our goal, we made it there with a beautiful falling sun, with a speedy ride back to camp before it finally set. Well worth the scrapes on the skidplates and the photos (credit to m'lady)
sized-IMG_9408.JPG
sized-IMG_9432.JPG
sized-DPEntranceEye.JPG
sized-DPColoradoAmpitheater.jpg
sized-IMG_9626.JPG
sized-IMG_9648.JPG
sized-DPDeadtreeOverlook.jpg
sized-IMG_9833.JPG
sized-IMG_9855.JPG
We had a great night saturday, eating, drinking, catching toads, watching bats and just hanging out under the desert stars. Rolling out sunday morning we headed north to I-70 back to Colorado with some epic memories to look back on and looking forward to the next trip.

I personally got a lot out of this 3 day run. I just starting using OnX Offroad app and that was my planning software as well as my sole GPS on this trip. Truck related, I think packing was pretty on point. Im looking to add larger tires here shortly. Probably 285/70/17s or maybe 285/75/17s if they fit. I dont mind trimming or cutting but keeping as low a center of gravity as possible is important. I really like the OME suspension so swapping out for a larger lift isnt something Id like to do. This will require swapping wheels with a different offset. All in all I''m really satisfied with the truck so far and the parts and modifications done to it. Everything is used with no excess gear or underutilized mods/stuff taking up space or wasting my money.
COBDR is being planned for the late summer/fall now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier