Chevy Colorado / Technical Ability

MOAK

Adventurer
Hello all, My brother-in-law is delving into our hobby head first and went out and bought a Chevy Colorado 4x4 diesel. On my recommendation he has added sliders and raised the nose of the truck 1.5”. This fall he will be heading west with us. 2 years ago my son-in-law traversed Elephant Hill, then south thu SOB hill/gap, and down through Bobby’s Hole/Beef Basin, with his bone stock 4Runner. ( cept, thankfully sliders) . The Chevy does have better tires, Goodyear AT with Kevlar sidewalls. Is the Colorado capable of traversing this tour? I’ll admit I’m a bit of a skeptic. We are headed to the region this fall and I need to plan our trip accordingly. So thanks to all for any input/advice in advance

Grassland

I know nothing about the area but if a stock 4Runner could do it why couldn't a levelled midsize pickup with bigger and better tires?
Doesn't have the street cred of the Toyota badge.

Do stock 4 runners come with full and decent skid plates? (Legit I have no idea)

You can do a lot of things with good armor. Drive slow, pick good lines, and slide those steel plates down the rocks.

MOAK

Adventurer
Doesn't have the street cred of the Toyota badge.

Do stock 4 runners come with full and decent skid plates? (Legit I have no idea)

You can do a lot of things with good armor. Drive slow, pick good lines, and slide those steel plates down the rocks.
Look, I have only sliders on my 80 series. No other “armor” or skid plates have ever been necessary other than the little factory plate protecting the transfer case. It is what it is. The reason I ask the question is because the Chevy sits a lot lower, and has a few things that protrude lower than even our RAV4. I asked the same question, on these forums, years ago about the new 4Runner, with no more or no less skid plates than my 80 series. Of course, an excellent driver can get some seemingly incapable vehicles through just about anything. I’m sure I or you could shove this thing through, but ya gotta be able to drive it back home, 2500 miles. I’ve been down there countless times over the past 10 years. I’m looking for an owner of a z71 that can tell me, yes, I’ve been there, no problems, no damage. BTW, the 4Runner was high centered once, fell off the edge of a rock and had to jack him up, move some rocks, winch him off. No damage.

Last edited:

MOAK

Adventurer
I know nothing about the area but if a stock 4Runner could do it why couldn't a levelled midsize pickup with bigger and better tires?
That’s exactly what I’m asking- when I look underneath the Chevy I see a lot of stuff, ( shock mounts,etc,) that I’m just not used to seeing down so low. There is a world of difference between a 4x4 vehicle designed as a high clearance 4x4 and a pickup truck that happens to have 4x4 added into the design as an afterthought/marketing tool.. it’s not about brand, it’s about vehicle as there are a lot of pickup trucks, especially older ones, with solid front axles and tons of clearance..

85_Ranger4x4

IMO the shock mount thing is over blown. Most of the older trucks you refer to with "tons of clearance" had low hanging inboard (everybody gasp :eek:) shock mounts on the rear axle. My trucks do.

I don't want to drag my diff so I try to put tires on big rocks/bumps. Axle rises with tire so it is mostly a nonissue.

I don't see a lot of fouling on the bottom, t-case might hang down the below the frame a tad but otherwise it looks like most stuff is tucked inside the frame:

EDIT: the normal (non ZR2) ones have a pretty low front air dam. On a lot of trucks the “road grader” part is easy to remove though. I would check into it.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
What year 4runner? 2000-2009 were really low. Breakover isn't awful but it's not great on Colorados. If he is worried about the lower shock mounts get some shock skids. Be sure to bring a jack because it'll probably get hung up in the same place as the 4Runner?. The Colorado is as capable as any midsize truck.

MOAK

Adventurer
Well, I made the decision to not go into the needles. My BIL is very inexperienced so, instead of getting him in over his head, we’re gonna reserve a few sights on the WRT, then head over to Rafael Swell for a couple of days of touring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier