Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon Setups

dman93

Adventurer
Hi, I currently have a DCSB Tacoma, but thinking about moving to a 6’ bed and adding a shell or possibly pop up to have inclement weather camping shelter rather than use our ground tent. May just stick with another Taco, but intrigued by the Duramax, for better torque curve and mpg than my 3.5 auto 3rd gen Taco. Either extended cab ZR2 or crew cab long bed Z71. Anyone gone from Tacoma to Colorado/Canyon, and how’s the diesel? I gotta say my Taco has been trouble-free for 72K mikes. Thanks.

beneng_jr

Did your Colorado have an aux port on the fuel pump or did you have to have the shop do something custom? I have a gasoline canyon and can't seem to find any info about the fuel pumps having aux ports (I'm assuming they don't). Seems spendy to have someone drop the tank and drill in a fuel pickup for an Espar B4 or similar gasoline Webasto-type heater. Also, did you feel you had no alternative but to d
I put in a water pump connected to a jerry can and pull out hose sprayer. It ended up being super simple and the whole system was around $80.
RZPckHs.jpg

PoAKubi.jpg

uI5fu1M.jpg

Second, an even simpler addition is a holder for the camp table. It was always a pain in the ass to move stuff to get to the table. Now it just slides into place.
JIE6trV.jpg

Next, I wanted to improve my cooking setup. Setting up the table and pulling stuff out of bins wasn't that bad but requires a bit of shuffling. I wanted a flexible setup that was "freestanding" but could also be useful in other ways. I settled on a plywood "chuckbox" that can hang off the back of the truck or be carried to a picnic table and opened up. It can even be setup in the truck for inside cooking but I don't foresee doing that often. The box "transforms" into cook mode with the stove in place and additional wings for prep space. It holds all my cookware as well as plates, cups, etc. Although, fully loaded, its a bit unwieldy.
uqSnXxp.jpg

qLvejYV.jpg

y9TgTcD.jpg

It's a bit hard to visualize but there is a cleat on the back of the box that hooks onto my pullout drawer, then another cleat that rests on the tailgate. That way, the tailgate supports the weight of the box. Takes less than a minute to setup.

Anyway, a few more pictures from a good summer and fall.
4CEPLz9.jpg

aM1rvA3.jpg

Nd5mOmJ.jpg

nbTlUxE.jpg

Did your Colorado have an aux port on the fuel pump or did you have to have the shop do something custom? I have a gasoline canyon and can't seem to find any info about the fuel pumps having aux ports (I'm assuming they don't). Seems spendy to have someone drop the tank and drill in a fuel pickup for an Espar B4 or similar gasoline Webasto-type heater? Also, did you feel you had no alternative but to drill holes in the truck bed for the install?

emulous74

How's the cyclone filter doing for you? Is there any way to see what it's catching?
I just changed out my air filter last week and the air filter was much cleaner than I expected, the bottom of the airbox was very dirty. However the next changeout of the air filter will be the real test, I had the cyclone mounted incorrectly as the discharge slot in the cyclone is supposed to be pointed to the rear of the truck and not the front. Overall though I think it's doing it's job and is a worthwhile investment if you are in dusty areas a lot.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Being of mild to moderate off-hiway travel, we are getting this setup going soon. I guess I’m the only one to claim 2021 AT-4 Canyon status thus far. Coming from Jeep world I am seriously taking my sweet time adding or taking away much from this new truck. Right now, all I wish to do is remove my air dam. Loading up gear this weekend for a camping trip to our great Mojave Desert. Hope to see our desert blooming this time of year. Our trailer just got delivered Friday. Still learning by doing. This Monday will be our try-out period.

Attachments

• 636DF458-B2C7-47E3-9E8D-0872E0C8DA94.jpeg
    636DF458-B2C7-47E3-9E8D-0872E0C8DA94.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 1E144035-212C-4656-B520-EF57E2BD283E.jpeg
    1E144035-212C-4656-B520-EF57E2BD283E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • D86E95C8-95A2-4F2E-B511-10F6131EC31B.jpeg
    D86E95C8-95A2-4F2E-B511-10F6131EC31B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
How's the cyclone filter doing for you? Is there any way to see what it's catching?

7 months ago, we tried buying a Bison. Sales people chuckled. Ventilators were the priority. Of course hundreds/thousands (?) lay dormant, never issued, never used.

Could not buy a ZR-2 either.

After heading to GMC, we saw the AT-4 and well, its ours now. For fun I often describe to inquirers the truck is my Subaru of midsize trucks. Only with beefy tires and low range and limited slip. Limited ground clearance. I read about the various means to rase it up some in the front. Then there are coll springs with Fox shocks 4 WP tried selling me. $2000. My being shy, or maybe cautious about doing this to the truck has me taking a step back. For me, installing all new suspension on this truck is akin to buying a nice pair of walking boots, you need to try em out before purchase.

HarryBB

I chose to keep everything below the bedrail height in order to look all the way out the back window of the AT Summit. So frig is "sunk" below bed deck level.
1. National Luna DC 25 aux battery box shown in the incomplete bed build "prototype" photo. This thing is really versatile and mine may have been the first one sold in US last Nov.
2. 17 gal water tank under deck with 12 volt pump. Fill and quick connect right side of built out bed. When I rebuild the tank size will be smaller.
3. 2 Arksen aluminum boxes under the rear "benches".
4. Rough Country ditch lights and front bumper light bar.
5. Rigid backup/rear lights installed in rear bumper - black out versions. (no pic).
6. ARB dual compressor fab 589 mounting under hood
7. Air hose extension to Power Tray mount front driver side of engine compartment.
8. ComeUp Winch on AEV mount. in front bumper and Cascade 4X4 flip down plate mount - It's MN and they like front plates. Factor 55 Ultrahook behind plate.
9. Switch Pros 9100 to control all the lights and compressor. (Just the on/off Compressor itself is direct to battery obviously - that sucker draws)
10. SP 9100 switch plate mounted to this Chevrolet Colorado Full Face Plate For Lower Cubby Fits Switch Pros Sw – Team Tech Offroad - don't have picture of my actual but it is awesome.
11. Eziawn Manta 270 awning
12. Peak add a leaf.

This is all version 1.0 and I expect a revision once I understand all the pros and cons of this particular configuration.

Attachments

• 20210122_131531 (002).jpg
    20210122_131531 (002).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 116
  • 20200912_143704 (002)b.jpg
    20200912_143704 (002)b.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • 20200619_133113.jpg
    20200619_133113.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200619_133254.jpg
    20200619_133254.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 104

spectre6000

Observer
Same question I asked to Emulous74 to you HarryBB. Have you noticed anything indicating the cyclone filter is catching much?

Also, it looks like you have a winch setup behind your license plate. Tell us more about that.

HarryBB

See point 8 - The winch is the recommended Come Up 9.5K Slim for Bison - this and the Warn were the two models GM was pushing along with the AEV mounting kit. It's synthetic roped and I added the factor 55 Ultra hook which allows either closed system or open system hook with a gate that is lockable with a pin. Pricey but seemed to be well built. I haven't had to use it yet but you never know when you will high center on those curbs in the mall parking lot.

I moved the airbox off in order to mount the ARB compressor under the coolant expansion tank. I didn't notice anything - zero - zip - nada - in the airbox or on the filter. I did manage to read the frigin manual when I switched to the Syklone so I did put the "exit ramp" pointing posterior.... I have to believe anything is better than pointing the standard AEV snorkel to the front so it can scoop up material like a black hole in some Star Trek episode. I've seen folks point the standard mouth backwards but I have to believe that this might restrict air flow to needy parts of engine. I didn't really study it that much - I just thought it looked wicked cool so I bought it after searching for a bit since AEV doesn't sell them any longer. (I guess one good question is "Why did AEV stop selling them?.. do they know something we don't.)

spectre6000

Observer
See point 8 - The winch is the recommended Come Up 9.5K Slim for Bison - this and the Warn were the two models GM was pushing along with the AEV mounting kit. It's synthetic roped and I added the factor 55 Ultra hook which allows either closed system or open system hook with a gate that is lockable with a pin. Pricey but seemed to be well built. I haven't had to use it yet but you never know when you will high center on those curbs in the mall parking lot.

Sorry. I was referring to the plate setup hiding the winch. I was not remotely clear.

I moved the airbox off in order to mount the ARB compressor under the coolant expansion tank. I didn't notice anything - zero - zip - nada - in the airbox or on the filter. I did manage to read the frigin manual when I switched to the Syklone so I did put the "exit ramp" pointing posterior.... I have to believe anything is better than pointing the standard AEV snorkel to the front so it can scoop up material like a black hole in some Star Trek episode. I've seen folks point the standard mouth backwards but I have to believe that this might restrict air flow to needy parts of engine. I didn't really study it that much - I just thought it looked wicked cool so I bought it after searching for a bit since AEV doesn't sell them any longer. (I guess one good question is "Why did AEV stop selling them?.. do they know something we don't.)

So you're running cyclone filter only? The question about why AEV stopped selling them is exactly why I'm asking. I get the theory behind them, I'm just wondering if they actually work as advertised or not.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
They weren't a year ago and this is a note from AEV web site link you included.....

"Please Note: The Sy-Klone Pre-Filter Assembly will only fit the AEV’s second generation JK Snorkel Kit with a 4″ intake tube."

It's a jeep thing I guess. Because there are a number of "air flow" options (IE: cubic feet ) it's probably important to spec for ZR2 specifically... which is what I did. the 4inch part is easy but the flow rate is important.

If you look at the drop down menu the Colorado is listed with the JL and JK. I have it on my Bison. It is also listed for sale on the Colorado parts page and the photo at the bottom of that page shows it on their Colorado Tray Bed.

TECH SPECS:
Vehicle Type: JK Wrangler, JL Wrangler, Colorado, Ram 1500, Ram HD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles