Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon Setups

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
IMO, I would not recommend putting a RTT on the roof of the Colorado. On a bed rack or cap, sure, but not the cab itself.

The metal of the Colorado seems to be quite thin, or low tensile, or both, but either way it dents very easily. I've got dents in all my fenders just from working on the truck and leaning on it.

I had bought a Thule roof rack for canoes and skis, installed it properly, torqued the clamps to specification. When I removed the rack, there are dents in the roof where the Thule feet were. I can't imagine what it would do if you have a RTT up there with a couple people in it.

I put in a water pump connected to a jerry can and pull out hose sprayer. It ended up being super simple and the whole system was around $80.
RZPckHs.jpg

PoAKubi.jpg

uI5fu1M.jpg

Second, an even simpler addition is a holder for the camp table. It was always a pain in the ass to move stuff to get to the table. Now it just slides into place.
JIE6trV.jpg

Next, I wanted to improve my cooking setup. Setting up the table and pulling stuff out of bins wasn't that bad but requires a bit of shuffling. I wanted a flexible setup that was "freestanding" but could also be useful in other ways. I settled on a plywood "chuckbox" that can hang off the back of the truck or be carried to a picnic table and opened up. It can even be setup in the truck for inside cooking but I don't foresee doing that often. The box "transforms" into cook mode with the stove in place and additional wings for prep space. It holds all my cookware as well as plates, cups, etc. Although, fully loaded, its a bit unwieldy.
uqSnXxp.jpg

qLvejYV.jpg

y9TgTcD.jpg

It's a bit hard to visualize but there is a cleat on the back of the box that hooks onto my pullout drawer, then another cleat that rests on the tailgate. That way, the tailgate supports the weight of the box. Takes less than a minute to setup.

Anyway, a few more pictures from a good summer and fall.
4CEPLz9.jpg

aM1rvA3.jpg

Nd5mOmJ.jpg

nbTlUxE.jpg
Love this setup. Are you able to fit a mountain bike in the bed without pulling off a wheel?

ABBB

There’s this one too (shameless self promotion ):

skyfree

My 2018 is still going strong. It's my daily driver, off-road camper, and tow vehicle. I never take the OVRLND camper off. I have a separate build thread but the gist of it is a full King setup front and back with an add-a-leaf in the back for the extra camper weight.
IMG_1822.jpgIMG_1820.jpgIMG_1321.jpgIMG_1258.jpgIMG_1109.jpg

nanserbe

1650989927729.png1650989963932.png

Redid my rear outlet and moved the water pump switch to the back of the truck instead of in the cab. Much better!

Sledder10

So nice of this thread to randomly pop up. Pleasantly surprised to see some fellow 1st gens (355) on here. Here's my 2008 GMC Canyon SLE Offroad, 3.7l, 4x4.
IMG_4520.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4803.JPG
-Hummer H3 front suspension swap
-Colorado ZR2 CV axles
-Badlands torsion keys
-Extra leaf + lift shackles in the rear
-Bilstein 5160(front) and 5100(rear) shocks
-Mayhem Metal Works steering rack kit
-Electric dual fan conversion
-Badlands Front diff protector
-Badlands quick-disconnect sway bar link
-Homemade bed rack
-Tuff Stuff Trailhead tent
-Homemade front bumper (WIP)
-Rocktrix 17x9 RT107 wheels
-******** Cepek Trail Country EXP's in 285/70/17

Despite these vehicles' couple major drawbacks for these kinds of activities, and the complete absence of afterket support, I've been extremely impressed with how it performs. The rear end with extended shackles with lifted-H3-spec rear shocks flexes soooo good, easily on-par with stock JT's and JK's. I can upload some pics if anyone curious, but I can stuff one tire until it hits the inside of the fender liner, and drop the other tire until it's nearly completely below the bedside. And the front is impressive too, for IFS. When I did the H3 front suspension swap, I just cut the front bump stops off, because they were kinda in the way of the shocks. I intended on setting up some better ones or getting air bumps, but haven't felt the need yet. I also cut off a bit of the back corner of the diff mounts, which normally serves as the H3's droop limiter, so that the diff mounts would clear the H3 LCA nut with my dropped diff. So the H3 suspension, with both the bumpstops and droop limiters gone, and the installation of ACDelco Colorado ZR2 CV axles, has a super impressive amount of both up and down travel. I didn't take any measurements, but its easily more than double what I had with the stock suspension components (the stock suspension was pretty pathetic). Next time I have it apart I'll take some measurements. And the G80 rear locker is a much-appreciated touch from GM. Winch will be going on soon, once I get the bumper 100% done and the sylvania light pods installed.

I've been living in north MS for school, and we have to travel a bit to get to any good wheeling. Arkansas is (by far) my favorite area so far; the trails in Ozark NF are literally endless, and Hot Springs ORV Park is a freakin RIOT. I'm hoping to check out Land Between the Lakes (KY), Hawk's Pride ORV Park (AL), Windrock ORV Park (TN), and Adventure Offroad Park (TN) before I graduate next spring. I'll also be living in Michigan this summer, so I hope to check out as much of that state as I can.

If anyone is in either of these areas and wants to wheel and/or camp, hit me up!!!!

Attachments

• E5FC332A-3E21-4BC2-A333-A56F4FD06D46.jpg
    E5FC332A-3E21-4BC2-A333-A56F4FD06D46.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles