Chevy AWD

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks r_w. I'm trying to flesh out my options. Can you tell me why a ford key might be a better option than this one? http://www.superlift.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=0417D4D41A6A4BBDBE391F8D21AB4693

One of the issues you may have is you have a one year only van. I'm not sure how much is in common between your 2500 and the 1500's???
This is the lift kit I used on my 2010 1500
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

Just the keys are $100
I think people suggest the ford keys as they can be had for next to nothing at a junk yard.

hitekhobo

Public Lands Accessor
Thanks for your reply. I was so happy when I found it. I didn't think about having trouble finding parts and support. It's more trouble, but it's a great little van and worth it.

I'm lifting and fixing the rear sag (it's a camper van w/ 30gal water tank) right now. 2"blocks, longer shocks, and a helper spring. Did one side today. Other side tomorrow morning.
As far as I know, I have a 1500 front end and a 2500 rear (four springs). It appears that I have the same torsion bars as Zuren.... the ones he mentions in the last post in this thread: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-470705.html

So you think the ford key is just suggested based on availability and price?

As of right now, I guess I will see how she looks when the rear is done. If I feel it needs more leveling, I'll probably order keys like the ones you got. I just hate to throw cash in the trash. Zuren said in a post that he was unable to see a difference even with new keys.

r_w

Adventurer
Ford keys used to be $60 NEW (I haven't looked in 10 years). There were a couple of the early $100+ leveling kits that were found to be rebranded ford keys (back in the early 2000's). And they are a known quality. If you can find them in a junk yard, even better.

If the front feels soft, I would get stiffer torsion bars at the same time. Not a job I would want to do twice.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks for your reply. I was so happy when I found it. I didn't think about having trouble finding parts and support. It's more trouble, but it's a great little van and worth it.

I'm lifting and fixing the rear sag (it's a camper van w/ 30gal water tank) right now. 2"blocks, longer shocks, and a helper spring. Did one side today. Other side tomorrow morning.
As far as I know, I have a 1500 front end and a 2500 rear (four springs). It appears that I have the same torsion bars as Zuren.... the ones he mentions in the last post in this thread: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-470705.html

So you think the ford key is just suggested based on availability and price?

As of right now, I guess I will see how she looks when the rear is done. If I feel it needs more leveling, I'll probably order keys like the ones you got. I just hate to throw cash in the trash. Zuren said in a post that he was unable to see a difference even with new keys.

Reading his post leads me to believe he tried cranking down the adjustment bolts without replacing the shocks. His shocks very well could have been topped out, therefore showing no lift.
As far as new keys making no difference the only way this would be true is if the bars are so soft they cannot physically lift the vehicle up more. Which could be true of old worn out bars.
I do believe you need to make the shocks longer no matter what when raising the front end of the van. Either longer shocks or extensions.

" I've spoken to other guys with the same vintage van with "blue" torsion bars who were able to crank up the torsion keys and level the rig. I tried this on mine and got zero lift. I did some more searching and one of the aftermarket lift companies says that trucks with orange bars will see little to no lift, even with reindexed keys. Another source mentioned that the shocks are pretty short on the front Chevy IFS so cranking the bars may have little effect since the shock can't extend much more. I have no idea how accurate this info may be."

hitekhobo

Public Lands Accessor
If his van is set up like mine, you're right, his shocks very well could have topped out. I measured mine last night. They only expanded about 1/2" when I removed the bolt. For some reason, I thought he had also tried different keys.

I'm starting to think someone lifted mine already. The torsion adjusting bolt has no threads showing. There appears to be just under 2" between the upper control arm and the bump stop. And from what I can gather, it seems that a stock rear spring pack should have either 3, 3/1, or 5/1. I have 4 in my pack.

Edit: Here's a photo. I put 2" blocks on the rear. After looking through photos, the front looks like it might already be lifted. 245/75/16s
10458128_10202445663451077_1708871737421142149_n.jpg

Last edited:

hitekhobo

Public Lands Accessor
Thanks r_w. If lifting the front is still and option, I think I'll try to put new bars in... If I can figure out which ones lol.

Around $100 is the going rate for new keys. If I can find and use them, used Ford keys are all right by me.

Ford keys used to be $60 NEW (I haven't looked in 10 years). There were a couple of the early $100+ leveling kits that were found to be rebranded ford keys (back in the early 2000's). And they are a known quality. If you can find them in a junk yard, even better.

If the front feels soft, I would get stiffer torsion bars at the same time. Not a job I would want to do twice.

hitekhobo

Public Lands Accessor
Update. I ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=hitekhomel-20&linkId=5RRQPLKXQ264JQGP They appeared to be indexed the same as my stock ones. They were marked with "C1". I talked to the company. They were super cool and sent me out another set with higher indexing. It was marked "F1". It is usually used in a different application (Fords?). They are in and work. My van is now lifted and has bigger tires. I bought new torsion screws from chevy. The head of them stick out more than I'd like. I'd cut the bolt down 3/4 inch if I ever did it again.

fl_ocala-lakedorr01.jpg

Last edited:

Pest

Adventurer
Anybody know if the Rough Country or SuspensionMaxx kits (listed as 99-06) previously linked work on a 2014 AWD van? It looks like the 2014 trucks have different suspension, and thus, selecting a 2014 kit has different parts. Did the vans change too or are they still using suspension from 2006?

Is it just better to go with the Boulder Offroad AWD kit?

PNWLuke

Well I Found One

Been looking for a bit, coming from a VW Vanagon Westy, it was a leap but Im glad i did! now its time to start finding thingsin an effort to make it less "work" "creep" van! I have taken it on a few little trips and already the best Van i have had!! worried about all the AWD drive issues i hear about with Chevy but i have not seen any of you talk about it so Im crossing my fingers
VAN.jpg

NYCO

Adventurer
time to start finding thingsin an effort to make it less "work" "creep" van!
Ha, I want to get one of those little yellow flashing lights to put on top of my van to make it look more like a service van! Just park wherever I want. Nice van!

Pest

Adventurer
Zuren,
I like my "Home Brewed Kit" because of price vs. Boulder Offroad (basically their kit are lift keys, rear lift blocks and shock spacers) and my choice of Part and Part Manfacturer. Yes this van is my personal favorite and of course my personal vehicle. The Skyjacker shocks in my opinion are better than Bilsteins, I feel the Skyjacker's give better control and cost about 1/2 of what the Bilsteins cost. Maxx Suspension Keys allow infinte adjustment from 2-1/2 lower than stock to 3" higher than stock (Lifted). This van has been lifted for about 40,000 miles now with no problems (fingers crossed). Tire size is 265/75/16 on stock chromed steel rims.

brianr,

Do you remember what you set the Maxx keys to? A4, B3, etc?

Thanks,

CherryBomb

Hey guys I'm new to this. Sold my Toy Tacoma 5 months ago and just bought a 06' Chevy AWD express with 53,000 miles on it. I've read this thread several times now trying to learn about what you guys did for lift etc. Most of the stuff re lifts is from 5 years ago or so. I see now that there are a handful of lifts available. After some time has passed for you guys have you seen a newer one that is better than what you have done? I couldn't find the MAXX kit that , I think Zuren?, used. How about Traxda or boulder off road kits? Pro's/Cons? ANd another question, how come when I see these lifts the kits often have a 3" lift for the front while only a 1" lift for the back? Motor weight? does the front and back end up the same height or is having the front higher a standard thing with lifts? Thanks, excuse my rookie questions

radorsch

Adventurer
I think it because a lot of times the vans are a little stinkbug when unloaded, due to the heavier springs in the rear for cargo. The lifts level it out. My ford went up about 5 inches in the front and about 2 in the rear to level it. Now, near max load, the back is a bit low, but for >90% time its about level. Not sure if the chevys are the same, but that would be my suspicion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior