Chevy 6.5l Turbo Diesel.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking rig you have there Mr Zuk! Looks like you have a solid axel under there. Here is a pic of my truck that also has the 6.5 turbo diesel....

umDbsxT.jpg

Please tell us some more about your fine rig and welcome to the site. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Explorerinil

Observer
6.5 is a good reliable engine, just not much power. You don’t see allot of them around anymore. I had a relative years ago that had one and a few friends that did back in the day along with the prior 6.2.

On a side note, I know of a guy that has a late 90’s suburban with a 4bt in it, it’s done so well it looks factory, even all the gauges work.

Nice truck btw!

zukium

Very nice and rare 2 door 6.5 tahoe. My burb is a 1992 with a 6.5L diesel that i swapped in over winter. The previous owner swapped in a dana 60 and coil suspension out of a 1997 dodge ram, 14bff rear axle with an ORD shackle flip kit, currently running 4.10 gears and 35" BFGoodrich KO2's. It's biggest job now is towing our 17' camp trailer that once the warranty is up will be getting modded to be better suited for more back country and forest service roads.
I'm currently looking into redesigning the control arms but need to replenish the account after the 6.5 swap
FB_IMG_1547256103074.jpg20180307_180526.jpg20180307_180544.jpg
20180814_162829.jpg

zelseman

Observer
We have the 6.5 in our skoolie. It’s been really good to us and mileage without anything on the roof and staying out of the gas has been 13-15 hwy. Keep an eye on the cooling system but other than that I would just enjoy it.

twodollars

I've had 3 6.5 burbs, no issues. Safe to push to 250hp, but I would not go much further than that for long life if it's doing any work.

gnel

Sold my 95 sub with 315,000 miles miles on it about 5 years ago. Only thing I did was relocate the pmd on a heatsink in the front bumper and put a 4 inch turbo back exhaust. Great truck. I don´t miss filling the 42 gallon tank though;)

zukium

Sold my 95 sub with 315,000 miles miles on it about 5 years ago. Only thing I did was relocate the pmd on a heatsink in the front bumper and put a 4 inch turbo back exhaust. Great truck. I don´t miss filling the 42 gallon tank though;)

That's a good looking burb. 6.5's are hard to find here in the PNW.

usanumber1

This is my 6.5L at Hammers this year. Get a set of gauges and move the PMD if you haven’t already. They like to get warm, so get all of the cooling parts you can: dual t stats, 9 blade fan, flush and get new coolant.

Attachments

• 69D8F6F1-5E65-4B82-80DE-C5096E874759.jpeg
    69D8F6F1-5E65-4B82-80DE-C5096E874759.jpeg
    728.3 KB · Views: 52

zukium

This is my 6.5L at Hammers this year. Get a set of gauges and move the PMD if you haven’t already. They like to get warm, so get all of the cooling parts you can: dual t stats, 9 blade fan, flush and get new coolant.

Sweet looking burb, how does it ride with the leaf springs I'm looking at redoing my axle swap and I'm going with leaf springs. My IP is mechanical so no pmd, and what's the benefits of going dual T-stats. I'll be looking into a Duramax clutch and fan and gauges once I get everything sorted all out.

lt1fire

Adventurer
Nice looking burb zukium.

I miss my 95 6.5 suburban. its was pretty much stock other than PMD re-location, newer water pump and D-max fan and clutch kit. Towed great and was a great camper. It had 340k on the original engine and trans when I sold it. Guy I sold it to just hit 400k in it.

thetruckstop.us
thedieselplace.com

for tons of info

Leroydiesel.com for parts

Good one on going mechanical on the IP I bet that made the swap that much easier.

Lots of turbo upgrades out there also.

usanumber1

Sweet looking burb, how does it ride with the leaf springs I'm looking at redoing my axle swap and I'm going with leaf springs. My IP is mechanical so no pmd, and what's the benefits of going dual T-stats. I'll be looking into a Duramax clutch and fan and gauges once I get everything sorted all out.

Thanks, I personally feel it rides great. The C/K10 52” leafs, hydro assist, and pan bar up front and it drives better than stock. I’m sure a custom set from Atlas, Alcan, or Deaver and it would ride better.

Mine has a 9 blade fan stock, so I haven’t sprung for the dmax fan yet, but the dual t stats and water pump will help keep both cylinder banks cool. I may be wrong, but I believe a problem with the single was that one side didn’t cool as well as the other.

Diesel subs always get extra points, people love seeing them and you will get compliments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles