Chevy 3500 5.7l diesel ambo... pull the trigger?

Acheateaux

Adventurer
I'm not super familiar with the olds 5.7l diesel engine and wondering if this rig will blow.

Low miles ambo, 1996, 4wd. Is this an underpowered engine for living in the mountain? I know I'll lose around 25% of my power and not really concerned about it to much, I dont tow (besides a raft/drift boat here and there) and dont drive to fast either.

Anyone have any experience with MPG with this engine?

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to drive it until it blows up, then swap something bigger in...

daly

I'm a GM guy, and I gotta say, stay away from the 5.7 diesel. Horrible, horrible engine. It was a olds 350 gas engine converted to run diesel, for fuel economy. But it could barely motivate the vehicle it was in to move down the road let alone pull anything.
But I'm almost positive they stopped using that engine in the 80's are you sure it's not a 6.5 diesel or a 350 gas engine? Some people only think they know what they are talking about when they post for sale ads.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Directly form the hand of Googletitis!:victory:

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/olds-diesel.html

:yikes:

Manufacturer:
Oldsmobile
Years Built:
1978-1985
Applications:
Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, & Cadillac cars. GMC & Chevy light duty trucks.
Configuration:
V-8
Displacement:
350 cubic inches, 5.7 Liters
Compression:
22.5:1
Bore:
4.057 inches
Stroke:
3.385 inches
Injection:
indirect injection (IDI)
Aspiration:
naturally aspirated, non-turbo
Horsepower:
125 HP @ 3,600 RPM
Torque:
225 lb-ft. @ 1,800 RPM
Unreliable, problematic. Regardless, the engines do have a following of fans/enthusiasts and most problems can be eliminated with upgrades.

Run form the trigger!!! :REOutShootinghunter

Last edited:

daly

Is this the truck?
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/ctd/3473063479.html
If so, it is likely a 6.5 turbo diesel, nothing wrong with it. The dealer has it written as a 350 ohv gas engine, but the headline says 6.5 diesel, I'm guessing the salesman that wrote the ad doesn't know what he's talking about. It's also a Detroit diesel not a Cat diesel, best bet is to go in and have a look at it.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
If that's the one, that seems like a great deal. Food for thought, many times ambulances sit idling for hours at a time. So check to see if there is an engine hours meter.

Rot Box

Explorer
In the sellers description it states that it is a 6.5L which makes sense. Its surprisingly common for people to assume that anything pre-Duramax is an Olds diesel. The 6.5L is a good motor depending on a few things... My brother had one with 550k miles before a rod let loose :Wow1:

Speaking of the 5.7 diesels (I hope I'm not hijacking too bad here....) did you know GM offered a similar motor in a 4.3L V6 as well? Many of the problems can be sorted out and I'd go as far to say 'most' of the people that bought them were very unfamiliar with diesel engines and the needs that come with them. Either way they were horribly underpowered and nowhere near desirable but they seem to work well on ranches and farms. I see them from time to time out here.

http://a350diesel.tripod.com/menu.html

Here's one that belongs to a local. Very clean 3/4 ton.
IMG_0027_zps638d266f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior