Chevrolet Tracker (Suzuki Grand Vitara) Micro-Camper

Almir Almeida

Some photos of the preparation of my 2007 Chevrolet Tracker 4x4 (same as Suzuki Grand Vitara) which was transformed into a micro-camper for expeditions and camps.

The goal is to have the vehicle itself a basic infrastructure and self-sufficient to be able to land anywhere in comfort and safety, whether in the wild or structured camping, gas stations 24 hours, or even in urban locations, for short or extended duration traveling or expeditions.

Within minutes the vehicle becomes a private bed with the following features:

- Single or double bed
- Chemical Toilet
- Refrigerator / Freezer quad-volt (12 / 24V DC and 110 ~ 240V AC) - I have two models of refrigerators, a larger one (with compressor) that reaches up to minus 15 degrees (Celsius) and a smaller one (which allows the assembly of the double bed).
- Mini kitchen with gas stove and sink
- Solar panel photo-voltaic 150W with stationary battery 115 Ah
- 500W Inverter with 110V output (to connect laptop computer or other devices)
- 28 liter water tank with automatic pump Shurflo
- Outdoor showers (including shower tent that is mounted in 2 seconds)

The suspension and traction were prepared with 2" lift, tires BF Goodrich All Terrain and free-wheel kit from AVM.

On the dashboard was installed a multimedia system that has GPS, TV, DVD, MP3, CD and external cameras; 2 voltmeters to monitor the car battery and solar panel, altimeter, radio communication VHF and UHF.

01.jpg

Changes in the car: tires: Bf Goodrich All Terrain KO 2 (235-70-16), Suspension: 2-inch lift, lower protection against impact, freewheel AVM.

02.jpg

On the roof was installed a photovoltaic solar panel 150W, which charges the battery and keep the refrigerator running even with the vehicle stationary.

03.jpg

07.jpg

To mount the camper I push the seat fully forward and pull the bed extender, providing an area of 1.90 x 1.30 meters for a single ou double bed.

04.jpg

06.jpg

Under the bed extender, there is a toilet

05.jpg

12.jpg

When you open the drawer there is a mini kitchen with sink, tap with extensible shower, gas stove and cabinet for kitchenware.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

In the side of the camper-box I installed an electric control panel with a programmable charge controller that manages the charging by solar panel, vehicle alternator or external charger AC (100 ~ 240V). The solar controller also provides two outputs for USB charging. There is also an inverter of 500W to 110V-AC.

11.jpg

Control panel circuit. The selection of the charging source is automatic. If the vehicle is turned on, the battery charging is done by the vehicle alternator. If the vehicle is turned off, charging is done by solar panel. If the AC charger is connected the alternator and solar panel are automatically disconnected.

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

fridge installation...

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I have 2 types of fridges. Mobicool FR-40, 38 liters running the compressor and cools to 15 degrees Celsius negative, and other thermoelectric cooler Black&Decker 33 liters which cools to 20 degrees Celsius below ambient temperature.

When I use the Mobicool fridge can only use the bed in the single version. When I use the Black&Decker cooler can use double bed because the refrigerator is kept behind the bench under the bed extender.

Both coolers works on both 12V-DC as 100 ~ 240V-AC

18.jpg

Black&Decker cooler behind the bench

17.jpg

the fridge can be pulled out to facilitate access

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

There are several rooms that can be configured according to the type of trip or expedition

19.jpg

In one of the compartments there is a battery 115AH and in another compartment there is a 28 liter water tank with an automatic water pump Shurflo of 1GPM

20.jpg

21.jpg

Through a trap door you can also access the Tracker tool compartment

22.jpg

Other storage chests are available under the surface of the bed and can be used for various functions

23.jpg

24.jpg

Almir Almeida

To assemble the bed I use 2 mattresses Quechua A300 self-inflating and a Quechua Sleepin'BedCover (1 have 2 kits, one for single and other for 2 people).

27.jpg

30.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

34.jpg

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

Other accessories that I use

51.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

40.jpg

50.jpg

and when everything is disassembled , each object has its own place of accommodation. Every car space was tapped

52.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

41.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles