Chevrolet Tracker (Suzuki Grand Vitara) Micro-Camper

Abitibi

Explorer
Very impressive! I bet it took you much longer to design it than building it!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Almir Almeida

Thank you guys!

My next long-term expedition will be in December/2016~January/2017, from my city (Sao Jose dos Campos, SP, Brazil) to Ushuaia (Argentina) and from there to the desert of Atacama (Chile). I also intend to watch some of the Dakar Rally which will occur at the same time.

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

Very impressive! I bet it took you much longer to design it than building it!

It was approximately 1 week designing and measuring, trying to find the best combination for accommodation of all accessories and up to 2 people. The assembly took about two months, working on the side (DIY).

Tks

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

Today I installed a 30A battery charger very compact. It can be plugged into any AC outlet from 100 to 240V. When the plug is connected, the system automatically disconnects the solar panel and the alternator and in addition to charging the battery also powers all 12V accessories, including the refrigerator. Charging is managed by the same solar charger controller, preventing overload.

IMG_20160721_153825.jpg

IMG_20160721_153839.jpg

The next upgrade will install a 100W flexible solar panel on the roof of my luggage rack Thule 100. today, due to lack of space on the car roof, I can not use the solar panel along with the Thule.

the idea is to do as pictured below:

photo+1+(1).JPG

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
I was looking at a Grand Vitara as an overland vehicle but couldn't justify the lack of space without getting better fuel economy. Most guys only see 22mpg stock max in the XL7, with lift and bigger tires it dips into the teens on the highway.

Almir Almeida

I was looking at a Grand Vitara as an overland vehicle but couldn't justify the lack of space without getting better fuel economy. Most guys only see 22mpg stock max in the XL7, with lift and bigger tires it dips into the teens on the highway.

Because my larger tires and weight of accessories my consumption is not the best, in the 23 mpg range. Here there is the diesel version of Tracker or Grand Vitara, which runs up to 40 mpg but the engine (Mazda or Peugeot) are not reliable if the car is very old. But the XL7 has much more space. The only problem is the very long wheelbase.

Pete79

Observer
The next upgrade will install a 100W flexible solar panel on the roof of my luggage rack Thule 100. today, due to lack of space on the car roof, I can not use the solar panel along with the Thule.

the idea is to do as pictured below:

View attachment 356946

Great work on this fit out. Thanks for sharing.

I have a similar setup with a 100W panel on a luggage pod in my trailer. It works very well charging my 100ah battery.
My panel has survived a heavy hail storm and still in perfect working order. They are surprisingly strong. You should be happy with this setup.

Well done.

Almir Almeida

Nice city! I just returned from a week long visit to SJdC on 7/24/16! Brazilians are such excellent friendly people!

Cool that you like my city. If we had communicated before I could take you to explore the region. Thanks and regards!

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

Great work on this fit out. Thanks for sharing.

I have a similar setup with a 100W panel on a luggage pod in my trailer. It works very well charging my 100ah battery.
My panel has survived a heavy hail storm and still in perfect working order. They are surprisingly strong. You should be happy with this setup.

Well done.

Thank you! Once I get the new solar panel and I finished installing it I'll post a picture here. Greetings

Last edited:

Almir Almeida

Testing the equipment in an expedition to the top of the "Serra da Bocaina" - Brazil

I camped at about 2000 meters high and temperatures near zero degrees Celsius. The suspension has also been approved to cross erosions and stones.

bocaina01.jpg

bocaina02.jpg

bocaina03.jpg

bocaina05.jpg

bocaina08.jpg

Almir Almeida

Today I finished my "Thule-Solar". I used a 100W flexible solar panel fixed to a Thule luggage with 300 liter capacity.

IMG_20160816_211420.jpg

IMG_20160816_211703.jpg

Now I have much more space for the bags and camping acessories.

haven

Expedition Leader
Great job! Now let's hear about great overland destinations in Brazil you've visited with your micro-suv. Sure wish Suzuki didn't withdraw from the North American market.

Almir Almeida

Great job! Now let's hear about great overland destinations in Brazil you've visited with your micro-suv. Sure wish Suzuki didn't withdraw from the North American market.

Thank You! Yes, soon I will travel and share here photos and stories where I went. Here "Chevrolet Tracker" is the same as "Suzuki Grand Vitara" until 2009. Now there is a new "Tracker" here but only 4x2 and is the same as "Trax" in the US market. But the Suzuki Grand Vitara is also available in a new version (below). The problem is that the new suzuki (except Jimny) are monobloc and no longer chassis, as in older versions.

grand-vitara-2016.jpg

Almir Almeida

I made a new mattress for the micro-camper. It's more practical than the inflatable mattresses and faster to assemble the bed.

IMG_20160818_120557.jpg

IMG_20160818_121702.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz