Chevrolet Express Van - AWD to 4x4 conversion

curtis73

Thanks for the link. I'm pretty much down to wanting an NP242 and dealing with the headache. It is sort of the manual, non-electric version of a 246. It has the regular 2hi/4hi/4lo, but adds a 4FT by means of a locking/unlocking differential for the front output. It was called something like the SelectTrac in jeeps, and the only chevy version was used in Hummer H2 (27 spline/4L65E) and H1 (32 spline 4L80E).

The Jeep version of the 242 has a booted slip yoke front, but not the right splines or length from what I understand. I have a feeling I'm traveling down a very long rabbit hole of part numbers and specs.

I appreciate the build thread. Thank you for sharing.

Teacher88

Here's another post to bring this thread back to life once again. I Picked up my np 241 transfer case yesterday from a 1993.
Here's my question. Has anyone found an off the shelf front drive shaft that will work? The longest I can find is 30 3/4" when compressed and from what I understand I need something like 34 3/4". 4" seems like a lot to get out of the slip yoke but I'm no driveshaft wizard

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

jonnypage

Here's another post to bring this thread back to life once again. I Picked up my np 241 transfer case yesterday from a 1993.
Here's my question. Has anyone found an off the shelf front drive shaft that will work? The longest I can find is 30 3/4" when compressed and from what I understand I need something like 34 3/4". 4" seems like a lot to get out of the slip yoke but I'm no driveshaft wizard

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
I am in the final stages of this swap. I used an np241 LD case from a 1500 pickup. I got custom shafts made as the front needed to be shorter and the rear longer. Front shaft does not extend or contract so one length is good. I can get shaft lengths if you like but they may be different depending on your t case

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles