Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

40sqft

I've tried a few different suspension parts on my 2008 1500 van and wanted to share my experience.

81008 Moog coil springs lifted the front about 1" and they were too stiff for my liking. I don't have any added weight in front of the F axle so they might work well for folks with heavy bumpers and a winch. I also couldn't use the rubber wrap around the lower coil from my stock springs because of the larger diameter so they were a little noisy on rough roads.

Boulder offload 3" spindle lift kit. This was useless and not safe to drive at any speed above 35mph. I'm pretty convinced that the spindles are actually for a Silverado or other chevy truck. The spindles widened the front track 3" total. They dramatically changed the steering mounting points and although I could get it aligned to factory specs the van would porpoise really badly at highway speeds. Imagine traction control engaging around every bend in the highway. The front shocks supplied were from a 3/4 ton so the bar pin doesn't fit the 1500 control arms. The rear shocks are from an older pickup Bilstein # 24-020435 and 3.25” longer than stock. These have about 50% more rebound than the 2500 van shocks and actually work really well. The rear shocks are the only part I am still using. Boulder was very slow to respond, dodged my questions and suggested that I check my pitman and idler arms. Our vans don't have pitman or idler arms since they use a rack and pinion. That tells me they've never installed this kit themselves. After 4 different alignments to try and resolve the handling I ended up with what I'm running now.

Weldtec leveling spacer for the front lifted about 2" with stock springs and shocks. This didn't change my ride quality noticeably and provided lift. No problem getting it aligned.
1- ton Express van rear springs 4+1 with a 1" block spacer.
Brand new, stock front shocks.
My van is heavy 7050lbs when loaded and has a camper build in the back. Rear axle weight is 3700.
It handles on road similar to stock and much better on forest roads. I think the better off road handling is due to the stiffer springs and coming off of the bump stops. It is a little harsher over small bumps in the pavement which feels like a small sacrifice for improved clearance and off highway capability.
I have plenty of room for my 265/70r17 Load E General Grabbers and plenty of clearance to get anywhere that I have the traction to get too.

I hope my experimentation with different setups helps somebody out that is trying to figure out the ultimate setup for their 1500 RWD van.

Shane Mulligan

I've tried a few different suspension parts on my 2008 1500 van and wanted to share my experience.

81008 Moog coil springs lifted the front about 1" and they were too stiff for my liking. I don't have any added weight in front of the F axle so they might work well for folks with heavy bumpers and a winch. I also couldn't use the rubber wrap around the lower coil from my stock springs because of the larger diameter so they were a little noisy on rough roads.

Boulder offload 3" spindle lift kit. This was useless and not safe to drive at any speed above 35mph. I'm pretty convinced that the spindles are actually for a Silverado or other chevy truck. The spindles widened the front track 3" total. They dramatically changed the steering mounting points and although I could get it aligned to factory specs the van would porpoise really badly at highway speeds. Imagine traction control engaging around every bend in the highway. The front shocks supplied were from a 3/4 ton so the bar pin doesn't fit the 1500 control arms. The rear shocks are from an older pickup Bilstein # 24-020435 and 3.25” longer than stock. These have about 50% more rebound than the 2500 van shocks and actually work really well. The rear shocks are the only part I am still using. Boulder was very slow to respond, dodged my questions and suggested that I check my pitman and idler arms. Our vans don't have pitman or idler arms since they use a rack and pinion. That tells me they've never installed this kit themselves. After 4 different alignments to try and resolve the handling I ended up with what I'm running now.

Weldtec leveling spacer for the front lifted about 2" with stock springs and shocks. This didn't change my ride quality noticeably and provided lift. No problem getting it aligned.
1- ton Express van rear springs 4+1 with a 1" block spacer.
Brand new, stock front shocks.
My van is heavy 7050lbs when loaded and has a camper build in the back. Rear axle weight is 3700.
It handles on road similar to stock and much better on forest roads. I think the better off road handling is due to the stiffer springs and coming off of the bump stops. It is a little harsher over small bumps in the pavement which feels like a small sacrifice for improved clearance and off highway capability.
I have plenty of room for my 265/70r17 Load E General Grabbers and plenty of clearance to get anywhere that I have the traction to get too.

I hope my experimentation with different setups helps somebody out that is trying to figure out the ultimate setup for their 1500 RWD van.

Funny I put similar 2" leveling spacers on the front of my van and I was thinking that's what is causing the harsher ride up front. I also put sumosprings bumpstops on the front too so maybe those are playing into it. I'm going to look into getting longer shocks. Anyone ever tried bump stop spacers on these vans? Found these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265522131331?hash=item3dd25a3183:g:GZ4AAOSwEdBhNVNr
Says they only fit up to '02 but i'm guessing they will work on newer vans too.

Shane Mulligan

2wd Lifted Express Van Shock Options?

Any information on shock options for lifted 2003 and up 2wd 1500/2500/3500 Express? I have a 2007 1500 passenger van and I want to install 3500 diesel coil springs (Moog 81004) and possibly a spacer on top of that. Will stock length shocks work or do I have to get creative? Out back, the plan is for 2" lift blocks and possibly 2900 lb Suburban springs. Again, does anyone know what shocks will work apart from the expensive Fox shocks that Weldtec is offering? I'd love to put a set of those on, but this is a low budget build.

Hey did you ever figure out some shocks? I'm thinking about swapping my stock ones out.

Shane Mulligan

Went ahead and jacked up the front end of my van yesterday. Only about 1"-1.5" of down travel from weight on wheels to lifted off ground. The droop stops are definitely not limiting the down travel so I'm thinking it's either the shocks or maybe upper ball joints? I'm just going to have a shop look at it and try to figure it out.

Shane Mulligan

I'm looking into sound/temperature insulation and discovered while pulling the panels that the plastic clips break quite easily. I've also had panels fall off while driving due to the plastic mounts breaking on their own. Got any ideas on securing the panels? I worry with the extra weight of insulation behind them the plastic interior panels will be falling off in just regular driving.

Some closeup pics of Weldtec's control arms and spindles. The spindles replace the upper ball joint with a spherical bearing and will travel up to 10.5" but I'm not sure if the wheel well can actually clear that.

HimhZjU.jpg

0IzwaD1.jpg
When did you get this kit? I see they still offer the lift spindles online but I don’t see the upper control arms.

40sqft

Funny I put similar 2" leveling spacers on the front of my van and I was thinking that's what is causing the harsher ride up front. I also put sumosprings bumpstops on the front too so maybe those are playing into it. I'm going to look into getting longer shocks. Anyone ever tried bump stop spacers on these vans? Found these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265522131331?hash=item3dd25a3183:g:GZ4AAOSwEdBhNVNr
Says they only fit up to '02 but i'm guessing they will work on newer vans too.

If you have a 1-ton than you already have stiffer springs and slightly taller ride height than a 1500 from the factory. The spring spacers may have a little different effect for you. If your shocks are topping out but you aren't yet limited by your control arms, here's an idea that I've had luck with on other vehicles. Take out your front shock and drop a small nut onto the lip where the first big washer would go, then the washer, bushing, etc as normal. This will move everything down about 1/4" and give you about 1" more droop out at the wheel.

Shane Mulligan

If you have a 1-ton than you already have stiffer springs and slightly taller ride height than a 1500 from the factory. The spring spacers may have a little different effect for you. If your shocks are topping out but you aren't yet limited by your control arms, here's an idea that I've had luck with on other vehicles. Take out your front shock and drop a small nut onto the lip where the first big washer would go, then the washer, bushing, etc as normal. This will move everything down about 1/4" and give you about 1" more droop out at the wheel.
I've got a 3/4 ton so yeah probably still a stiffer spring than the 1500. It's definitely not the control arm bumpstops that are limiting. I think it's the shocks because the upper ball joints aren't at too high an angle. That's a good trick to try out. I'm thinking about swapping out stock for Bilsteins and will give that a try thank you.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
If you have a sliding door and running wide wheels or 35" tires on your Chevrolet Express van you may want to check out this new product! It was a must have for me on my new van build! The Door slide extension allowed me to open my door all the way which is important loading all my kids.
WTD-Chevrolet-Express-Door-Slide-Extension-4-1-1.jpg
If you have any questions about this product please let me know.

Thanks
Jeremy

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
When did you get this kit? I see they still offer the lift spindles online but I don’t see the upper control arms.
We did one of these but to was on the expensive side for just a few more inches of travel. If there was 5-10 people that wanted to commit to a kit like this we could see what kind of craziness we could design.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Does anyone have resources for aftermarket seats for, driver, passenger, and especially upgrades for the rear bench seats? I know a couple places I have seen have adapters for Econolines but I haven't seen much geared toward the express.
We offer lots of seat options for these vans:

El_Viajero

Boulder offload 3" spindle lift kit....The front shocks supplied were from a 3/4 ton so the bar pin doesn't fit the 1500 control arms. The rear shocks are from an older pickup Bilstein # 24-020435 and 3.25” longer than stock.

Great feedback! What Bilstein front shock # did you get in the kit? Wondering if it would work for Quigley converted vans.

jamesm113

Hi all, curious if anyone has any experience with the Monroe or KYB shocks. 2013 Express 2500, 155" WB moto/camper van setup. No lift, all terrain tires. I do take it on fire roads, but no crazy trails. It's an long wheelbase 2wd van after all.

Previous owner put in new monroe shocks (the yellow ones, so pretty sure the gas magnum line) before I purchased the van, but they honestly feel like garbage. Van is bouncy, shocks are garbage off road and I've even had some scary moments on the highway because of them (rapid succession of potholes had me almost lose control).

I've had good luck with KYB struts on my cars (and of course KYB's moto suspension is excellent), would the gas-a-justs be good enough for highway and fire road duty or would they be similar to the monroes i have on there already?

sackettmw

Hi all, curious if anyone has any experience with the Monroe or KYB shocks. 2013 Express 2500, 155" WB moto/camper van setup. No lift, all terrain tires. I do take it on fire roads, but no crazy trails. It's an long wheelbase 2wd van after all.

Previous owner put in new monroe shocks (the yellow ones, so pretty sure the gas magnum line) before I purchased the van, but they honestly feel like garbage. Van is bouncy, shocks are garbage off road and I've even had some scary moments on the highway because of them (rapid succession of potholes had me almost lose control).

I've had good luck with KYB struts on my cars (and of course KYB's moto suspension is excellent), would the gas-a-justs be good enough for highway and fire road duty or would they be similar to the monroes i have on there already?
The KYBs might be a step up from the Monroes but really none of the parts store shocks have enough rebound control to stop the bounce on the highway especially with an unloaded van. I think its worth going with a lift from Weldtec, Boulder offroad or similer to get some room for a longer shock. Then you have the option of Bilstein 5125 or Fox 2.0 which make a huge difference. At a minimum I think you can find a Bilstein B6 to fit. My Quigley had a new set of Monroes on it when I got it so I know how bad they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online