Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

Len.Barron

Observer
Anyone knows how much lift is attained from running front coil springs from a Duramax on a gas powered express?

Also this spring will fit both the 2500/3500 AND the 1500 Express/Savana?
I don't think the static height is much different, the rate is heavier so I'd bet you wouldn't get much lift at all, just a rougher ride..

Len.Barron

Observer
I am in the market for a used 2003 or later express/savana, RWD or AWD, prefer 2500 or 3500. How do I tell which vans/axles will work with an ARB or oxlocker with the least amount of trouble? thanks
3500's will be better for build-able axles as many have full floating axles, look for Dana70 full floaters(decal on the axle tube), they have good aftermarket support. Steer clear of the 2500's with the semi-floating dana60's there is only and OEM limited slip available for those and they are overpriced. For all axles the RPO sticker on the passenger door jam can provide some help, if it list the G80 or G86 code it has some type of limited slip/locking differential, if it has GT4 it is 3.73 geared, GT5 is 4.10 geared

jfman

I don't think the static height is much different, the rate is heavier so I'd bet you wouldn't get much lift at all, just a rougher ride..

I am not so sure about the static heigh being the same because less weight (gas vs. diesel) on the same springs should mean less compression of the same springs while resting.

For example I put V6 spring on my 4 cyl accord and it raised my car 1.25 inches in the front even thou both cars ride at the same height level stock.

I would expect the Dmax spring to be harsher on a gas van and I would also expect the ride height to be higher as well. How high, I dont know.

lbt

Thanks Len.Barron. I just found apparently you can get an oxlocker for a 1500 or 2500 express van? see attached image

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-12-20 13-04-56.png
    Screenshot from 2018-12-20 13-04-56.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 73

Len.Barron

Observer
Thanks Len.Barron. I just found apparently you can get an oxlocker for a 1500 or 2500 express van? see attached image
That's for a GM 8.5" rear axle, it may work in a 1500 (I'm not familiar with what axles came in them) but most 2500's that I have seen have the semi-float dana60 (9.25")

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I am not so sure about the static heigh being the same because less weight (gas vs. diesel) on the same springs should mean less compression of the same springs while resting.

For example I put V6 spring on my 4 cyl accord and it raised my car 1.25 inches in the front even thou both cars ride at the same height level stock.

I would expect the Dmax spring to be harsher on a gas van and I would also expect the ride height to be higher as well. How high, I dont know.

That is correct. I installed the 81008 coil springs vs. the 81012 that came with my van. It's the same spring rate but with a 1-1/8" static height difference. But I estimate the result of the front end lift of my van at about 5"! :eek: My thread is in my signature and suspension work starts at post #40. Honestly, it's a little bit too much in my case and I believe the caster angle needs to be corrected. Once it's back out of storage I will have to tackle that.

If I were looking for just some lift I'd get the spacers that Weldtec has and keep the stock rate springs so the ride stays comfortable.

If I had to do it again, that's what I would do.

The ride is pretty good but with all the mods on my van is difficult to compare it to stock.

b. rock

Has anyone installed a Weldtec coilover setup or ridden in a van that has one? I've been in several vehicles with King setups and each has been quite different from the other. Also slightly worried about noise/squeaking from the heims/uniballs after they see some sand/mud/snow/etc. However, since their subframe is part of the 4x4 conversion, it seems like you could do their coilover setup then ''just'' (adding quotes because I'm sure there's some amount of complexity) add the diff/tcase/axles, effectively giving the Chevy crowd a DIY option.

zelseman

Observer
This might be silly question but if I was interested in swapping 4x4 from a donor 1ton 4x4 truck of the same vintage, what would need to be custom and what would swap over?

Len.Barron

Observer
This might be silly question but if I was interested in swapping 4x4 from a donor 1ton 4x4 truck of the same vintage, what would need to be custom and what would swap over?
it's a lot of fabrication work, and is effectively what Quigley did for their conversions, if you want an IFS Express/Savana 4x4 van you'd be better served buying a used Quigley.

zelseman

Observer
it's a lot of fabrication work, and is effectively what Quigley did for their conversions, if you want an IFS Express/Savana 4x4 van you'd be better served buying a used Quigley.

Is it any more work to swap in a solid axle front? Ride quality is the only thing that will really suffer vs ifs right?

Len.Barron

Observer
fab work difference IFS vs SAS is maybe just slightly more on the IFS...not really going to be the determining factor. If you want the best comfort/handling and don't want much lift then go IFS...If you want to run 35's and have no rubbing then SAS is the way to go. Not that you couldn't get the lift with IFS, it's just that money becomes a driving factor at that point..
I spent a lot of time deciding which way to go...I can tell you now that it's still a coin toss.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Has anyone installed a Weldtec coilover setup or ridden in a van that has one? I've been in several vehicles with King setups and each has been quite different from the other. Also slightly worried about noise/squeaking from the heims/uniballs after they see some sand/mud/snow/etc. However, since their subframe is part of the 4x4 conversion, it seems like you could do their coilover setup then ''just'' (adding quotes because I'm sure there's some amount of complexity) add the diff/tcase/axles, effectively giving the Chevy crowd a DIY option.
We are working on a toned down coilover conversion with bushings in the pivots, however those typically make more noise then the uniballs. However that is the idea of the kit, which is get you started towards the 4x4 conversion then add components as you need to DIY. If you want to see the 4x4 coilover in action check out this video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior