Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I started adding some build threads from the forum. They're in no particular order other than the order that I find them. I'll include links and the most representative photo of the build project. I plan on adding 1 or 2 a day so this will take a while. Please be patient and feel free to send suggestions.

1TonExpress

From I believe 2009 to 2014 Chevrolet 3500 Passenger Extended Vans have the 14 Bolt 9.5 ring gear semi-floater. I'll be pulling a true 14 bolt (10.5" ring gear) full floater from a salvaged Express so I can re-gear and install an ARB, should be a simple swap and much easier to gear and install locker with an axle sitting on jack stands....

FYI, new to the forum, just bought my first van (2011 6.0 (L96) Chevrolet Express 3500 Passenger Extended 60k miles, Dark Blue). Plan on a 3-4" initial lift and just run a locker in the back for the first few years. Eventually I'll fab up a solid axle for the front.....down the road. I come from the Jeep scene but have since had a family and now am getting back into exploring. Best overland trip was Escalante in UT, twitchell canyon out to an overlook above Lake Powell.

If you would like a fold-down rear seat, you can swap the folding seatback from an Astro/Safari directly to the bench of any of the 3-pasenger seats in an Express/Savanna. Astros are getting cheap enough that you could pick one up just for the interior. I found my seat at a local pick-a-part and it had covers over the seats, so the stock surface was immaculate. At least in southern CA, there's still a bunch of these things running around and I had my choice of 6 at the yard.

bbbthreat

This thread is getting no love. Bump to the top. But, I would not send this up without any good info.

1-3" undercoil or overcoil lift spacers for 1988-1998 Chevy C2500/C3500 trucks can be used to lift the front. Add-a-leafs, lift blocks and U-bolts for Chevy C/K 2500/3500 trucks can be swapped in for the rear. Shock extensions for the same Chevy vehicles work as well. All are found on eBay for pretty cheap. Still trying to figure out if the shackles are the same or similar should someone want to try a shackle lift.

Scotty D

Has anyone for a 5x7 projector led headlight set that they like?
There are many on Amazon but the quality seems tough to verify.
I dont want to be one of those horrible humans that blinds everyone with unfocused powerful headlights.
Really need some better lights for baja this winter.

BrysonW913

Nice! I drool at all of these WeldTec van threads. Makes me second guess wether I want to save up for a 4x4 conversion or do one of these sweet lifts.

I do have some info to contribute that may be helpful. I did a lift on the cheap and found these resources for parts.

Lift:
Front coil spring spacer for 1.25"-3" of lift can be sourced from these guys. They are the same as found on 1988-98 Chevy 1500/2500 2WD, 1999-2006 Chevy 1500/2500/3500 2WD trucks. A full list of applications is available on the site. They are the 1900 series lift spacers, and they work on Savana/Express models 1500/2500/3500 (1996-present). Talked to the owner Steve, who was helpful, and was able to figure out that these would work on our vans. Sent them out fast, I did the install, and he updated his site. Obviously not as trick as WeldTec, or swapping in springs from a Duramax equipped Express, but a good way to start out.
http://www.mcbayperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1900T_SERIES

If you are doing a rear lift with just spacers, JEGS Performance was the best place to find what I was looking for. I only wanted to do a 1" lift in the rear. I utilized their universal lift/drop block, (which I did have to modify by drilling the guide pin hole to 11/16") and utilized a universal set of square u-bolts from Superlift Suspensions that measured 2.5"x10"x5/8" (Stock measurements for a 3500 Express is 2.5"x9"x5/8"). You could probably run a rear lift of 1-2" blocks with this assembly. Ran about $67 shipped for blocks and u-bolts, which was cheaper than I found for any kit. They have an assortment of sizes available.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/60810/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Superlift-Suspension-Systems/426/11004/10002/-1

Bumpers:
This is a big one. I sent out an email, and received a fast reply from these guys; You can order a MOVE DIY bumper to weld up yourself. They are awesome bumpers that you can customize to however your budget or style wants to. They now have it listed on their website. (I was in contact with a guy named Chris, and he was very helpful.) These bumpers are steel, but they are an alternative to Aluminess bumpers. They currently have a front and rear bumper option listed for a 2003-2016 GMC Savana 3500, which means it will fit 1500/2500/3500 (2003-present) Savana/Express vans. I will be ordering one within the next few months.
https://www.movebumpers.com/

Hope this info helps somebody out. I had to look around for a while to find very little information on the 2WD Express vans, but lots of good info on the AWD. Happy trails!

Thanks for the info. Ordered some coil spring spacers for a 2006 2wd Silverado to see if they’ll a fit on my 03 express 3500. Excited. Thank you

Three77

Odd man out here. Does anyone have knowledge about lifting the third generation GM vans? I've breifly been in contact with BTF Fab in regard to building a full-custom suspension, but I'm also curious about going at it a different way based upon the info I've read on this post. I had read that some of the 80s truck suspension is interchangeable with third-gen vans, so I was surprised to see it carried into the fourth-gen rigs too.

Since the third-gen vans are unibody, I'm wondering if plating or channeling the "frame" would be a good idea to help prevent any issues from hard use. Does anyone have experience with this?

Len.Barron

Observer
Since the third-gen vans are unibody, I'm wondering if plating or channeling the "frame" would be a good idea to help prevent any issues from hard use. Does anyone have experience with this?

You'd probably do best to find a quigley converted van of that era and take a bunch of pictures...I know they converted a bunch of them with with leaf sprung dana44/60's. There is a facebook group for quigley owners, you may get a simpathetic soul to take pic's for you..

jfman

Anyone knows how much lift is attained from running front coil springs from a Duramax on a gas powered express?

Also this spring will fit both the 2500/3500 AND the 1500 Express/Savana?

lbt

I am in the market for a used 2003 or later express/savana, RWD or AWD, prefer 2500 or 3500. How do I tell which vans/axles will work with an ARB or oxlocker with the least amount of trouble? thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier