Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

Ultralite

Adventurer
For those considering sound deadening, it's a great idea. On the passenger vans, between the plastic fascia and your steel walls there is ZERO sound deadening. Same for the doors.

And, there's a lot of room between the plastic and steel. So if you were considering insulation for those of you in colder climes, you should have plenty of space to get the fascia back on.

For those considering sound deadening, it's a great idea. On the passenger vans, between the plastic fascia and your steel walls there is ZERO sound deadening. Same for the doors.

And, there's a lot of room between the plastic and steel. So if you were considering insulation for those of you in colder climes, you should have plenty of space to get the fascia back on.

I'm looking into sound/temperature insulation and discovered while pulling the panels that the plastic clips break quite easily. I've also had panels fall off while driving due to the plastic mounts breaking on their own. Got any ideas on securing the panels? I worry with the extra weight of insulation behind them the plastic interior panels will be falling off in just regular driving.

Some closeup pics of Weldtec's control arms and spindles. The spindles replace the upper ball joint with a spherical bearing and will travel up to 10.5" but I'm not sure if the wheel well can actually clear that.

HimhZjU.jpg

0IzwaD1.jpg

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
We now have them for the Chevrolet Express 135 &155. BotH vehicles have 2 different options as to material.
1. Square main with round outer
2. round main with round outer
Here is a few pics at the latest install.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

MOUNTING BRACKET: 3X PER SIDE

bbbthreat

Nice! I drool at all of these WeldTec van threads. Makes me second guess wether I want to save up for a 4x4 conversion or do one of these sweet lifts.

I do have some info to contribute that may be helpful. I did a lift on the cheap and found these resources for parts.

Lift:
Front coil spring spacer for 1.25"-3" of lift can be sourced from these guys. They are the same as found on 1988-98 Chevy 1500/2500 2WD, 1999-2006 Chevy 1500/2500/3500 2WD trucks. A full list of applications is available on the site. They are the 1900 series lift spacers, and they work on Savana/Express models 1500/2500/3500 (1996-present). Talked to the owner Steve, who was helpful, and was able to figure out that these would work on our vans. Sent them out fast, I did the install, and he updated his site. Obviously not as trick as WeldTec, or swapping in springs from a Duramax equipped Express, but a good way to start out.
http://www.mcbayperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1900T_SERIES

If you are doing a rear lift with just spacers, JEGS Performance was the best place to find what I was looking for. I only wanted to do a 1" lift in the rear. I utilized their universal lift/drop block, (which I did have to modify by drilling the guide pin hole to 11/16") and utilized a universal set of square u-bolts from Superlift Suspensions that measured 2.5"x10"x5/8" (Stock measurements for a 3500 Express is 2.5"x9"x5/8"). You could probably run a rear lift of 1-2" blocks with this assembly. Ran about $67 shipped for blocks and u-bolts, which was cheaper than I found for any kit. They have an assortment of sizes available.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/60810/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Superlift-Suspension-Systems/426/11004/10002/-1

Bumpers:
This is a big one. I sent out an email, and received a fast reply from these guys; You can order a MOVE DIY bumper to weld up yourself. They are awesome bumpers that you can customize to however your budget or style wants to. They now have it listed on their website. (I was in contact with a guy named Chris, and he was very helpful.) These bumpers are steel, but they are an alternative to Aluminess bumpers. They currently have a front and rear bumper option listed for a 2003-2016 GMC Savana 3500, which means it will fit 1500/2500/3500 (2003-present) Savana/Express vans. I will be ordering one within the next few months.
https://www.movebumpers.com/

Hope this info helps somebody out. I had to look around for a while to find very little information on the 2WD Express vans, but lots of good info on the AWD. Happy trails!

Last edited:

bbbthreat

Also, good info for the (2003-present) 2500/3500 vans is that the front hub assemblies are interchangeable with the 4500 hub assemblies. These assemblies are heavier duty, rated for higher GVWR, and will help with the additional wear of more negative/neutral offset wheels vs stock wheels.

Several companies make a hub assembly that swap in. Just make sure it is the assembly that is rated for 10,000 lbs GVWR or greater, and not the assembly that is rated for 9600-9900 lbs or less. These were ones that I was able to find from reputable companies.

Timken:
SKU # - HA590353

AC Delco:
SKU # - FW420

(Could not find any from MOOG or SKF.)

Can't take credit for this one though (Thanks Photog!).

This link has lots of good info as far as suspension and lifts regarding the Express platform.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8/photogs-lifted-suspension-2009-roadtrek-190v-1552.html

Last edited:

DRLPatrol

.....I will contribute that 1996-2002 5 lug ONLY! G1500 and G2500 up to 7300 GVWR that use a front spindle with tapered bearings, not a bolt on front hub, share the same front spindle/knuckle as many 90's model 2wd Chevrolet trucks, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Full size Blazers. So a 2wd lift spindle that fits those will also fit our vans. For instance the Rough Country 7500 4 inch lift spindles are a direct bolt on regardless of what the internet says or the representative tells you on the phone.

Great info, thanks. How did you figure that out. I am trying to figure out if the same holds true for the 96-02 3500 van and one ton pickups. I tried to get a spindle part # for both on rock auto but could not find the spindle itself.

Doug

Great info, thanks. How did you figure that out. I am trying to figure out if the same holds true for the 96-02 3500 van and one ton pickups. I tried to get a spindle part # for both on rock auto but could not find the spindle itself.

Doug

The GM part numbers for the 1 ton 96-02 Van front spindles are 18060575 LH and 18060576 RH. Yes they are the same part numbers as the 1 ton 2wd C body trucks, Tahoes, Suburbans in the 90's. Pretty much up from 88-89 to when the trucks switched body style in 99-00 I am a GM parts guy for a living so I have access to all the GM parts catalogs.

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
The GM part numbers for the 1 ton 96-02 Van front spindles are 18060575 LH and 18060576 RH. Yes they are the same part numbers as the 1 ton 2wd C body trucks, Tahoes, Suburbans in the 90's. Pretty much up from 88-89 to when the trucks switched body style in 99-00 I am a GM parts guy for a living so I have access to all the GM parts catalogs.

Great info! I added it to post #3 on the first page. Thanks!

mykdee

Adventurer

I have a 2004 Express, do any Silverado spindles fit?

wjeeper

According to the part numbers in my catalog the knuckles for 03 and up Express and Savanas are specific just to the vans.

I wish I would have saved my research, once I snagged an AWD I tossed anything related to lifting a 2wd...............sorry guys!

If memory serves me right spindles are the same in that they use the same unit bearing, same ball joints and tie rods as the 2wd truck. I think the difference is the direction the tie rods go into the knuckles. I think the trucks go in from the top and the vans come in from underneath. I was researching if you could run a tie rod flip insert and if that would keep the bump steer under control.

temporarydweller: anything in the parts catalog that can confirm or deny my theory of the knuckles being similar?

I wish I would have saved my research, once I snagged an AWD I tossed anything related to lifting a 2wd...............sorry guys!

If memory serves me right spindles are the same in that they use the same unit bearing, same ball joints and tie rods as the 2wd truck. I think the difference is the direction the tie rods go into the knuckles. I think the trucks go in from the top and the vans come in from underneath. I was researching if you could run a tie rod flip insert and if that would keep the bump steer under control.

temporarydweller: anything in the parts catalog that can confirm or deny my theory of the knuckles being similar?

Yes they are similar but all I really have for reference is a part number. So if just the tie rod bore is tapered in a different orientation then it gets a different part number with no other info about what else may be different.

DRLPatrol

Another question on these lines. I am having trouble finding lift spindles for 2wd 1 tons. Now that I have learned their the same as on 90's trucks I am only finding them for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Any ideas?

Doug

bbbthreat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz