Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The KYB "Gas Adjust" shocks you mentioned above are what they advertised as which is a CHEAP Gas Shock with lot's of "Compression" on the downstroke and little to no "Rebound" on the return stroke. Not a good shock absorber at all.

It's that "Lot's of Compression" that makes folks think those shocks really do something to improve the handling of their vehicle which in reality is all KYB Gas Adjust shocks do is help to mask a worn out suspension.

Good shocks with "Proper" Compression, Rebound and Working Length are not cheap and worth every penny when properly spec'd to a vehicle based upon size, weight, suspension setup and vehicle use.

Shane Mulligan

Anyone have any experience fitting an auxiliary transmission cooler to the diesel vans? Thinking about doing some towing with my 2.8 but don't want to burn up the tranny. I've seen derale has a barb fitting that works with the 4.3 and 6.0 gas vans but not sure if it will work for the lines on the diesel.

whith

My 6.6 has a factory cooler. You could try one of those? Its a pipe cleaner looking thing that doesn’t look too impressive but its done the job for 100k miles now.

hansu

New to the forum so before I ask my question I'll also ask how to search a specific thread only? As in this thread. ;)

I'm converting all of the external lights on my '17 3500 to LED. I'm getting hyperflash on the turns signals -- no surprise -- and on another forum I've found that the turn signals are controlled by the BCM. Anyone know of a good solution to get rid of the hyperflash? It doesn't bother me but I've heard you can get ticketed for it and I'd prefer to avoid the drama. I'd prefer to avoid resisters at, kinda, all cost.

thx

(Going outside to pull the cladding around the steering column to see if I can spot anything interesting...)

PS: I know this is pretty pedestrian for this forum. New wheels and armor are coming in this week and I've already installed an Eaton LSD. ;)

Last edited:

squonk23

If you would like a fold-down rear seat, you can swap the folding seatback from an Astro/Safari directly to the bench of any of the 3-pasenger seats in an Express/Savanna. Astros are getting cheap enough that you could pick one up just for the interior. I found my seat at a local pick-a-part and it had covers over the seats, so the stock surface was immaculate. At least in southern CA, there's still a bunch of these things running around and I had my choice of 6 at the yard.
I know this was 5 years ago but maybe you'll get this.. is it a straight swap, same connection on the floor? I have a 2012 saVANa and hoping to do just that. Looking to build a removable bed platform that I could pop in after just folding the 3rd row down.

whith

I have done this in mine with Astro seats for the second and third row. I just bolted the tops of the Astro seats to the Express bottoms. Super easy.

I know this was 5 years ago but maybe you'll get this.. is it a straight swap, same connection on the floor? I have a 2012 saVANa and hoping to do just that. Looking to build a removable bed platform that I could pop in after just folding the 3rd row down.

Lucky you! I haven't been on here in a while and never got an email notice.

You'll have to unbolt the backrest of the Savana seat and replace it with the backrest from the Astro. The folding hinges bolt directly in place to the bottom of the Savana. I think it's like 6 bolts to swap to remove the backrest.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have any further questions.

hansh

Looking at new front coils for my 1997 Savana. Looking at sizes it appears stock spring is Moog 81012. Options include 81008 which is the same rate as 81012 but taller statically about 1.1". Above posts state anywhere from 2-5" lift with that spring.

Moog 81010 is statically taller than both 81012 (1.5") and 81008 (0.4") , but has a lower spring rate. All 3 springs are same outside diameter. Bar diameter is smaller for the 81010 (0.93) vs the other two (1.03).

Has anyone used the Moog 81010. I want to keep my ride close to stock but lift it a 1-2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier