Ironcloud Metalworks Express/Savana + Astro/Safari Swivel Seat Bases for Sale

WinnieVan

EDIT AS OF 4/15:
WE'VE LAUNCHED A WEBSITE AND ARE SELLING BOTH SAVANA/EXPRESS AND ASTRO/SAFARI SWIVELS THERE -- VISIT US THERE:
WWW.IRONCLOUDMETALWORKS.COM

Capture.PNG

ORIGINAL POST BELOW--

I'm hoping I can fill the niche market for Astro/Safari swivel with a product I just designed using the unit bearing design that so many on this (and other) forums have used -- if you think it looks looks like an MG sienna mount for the E-Series -- it's because it was inspired by that design whole-heartedly.

Designv4.JPGCapture.JPG

I will have these laser cut and CNC bent out of 3/16 steel. and finished in a semi-gloss black powder coat for durability. I've designed this to be the exact same height and pitch as the OEM seat pedestal and maintain all functionality to move fore and aft on the rails.

The design goal is to swivel smoothly and securely lock and unlock with an easy to use lever. The swivel assembly rides on a (brand new) front wheel unit bearing from a RWD sports car and the locking mechanism will be stout and easy to use and lock in the forward facing and rearward facing position. The locking mechanism will utilize a spring-loaded lever to control a hardened pin that locks into bent flanges on the base. The pin will ride in a milled metal housing (the orange part below), which will help solidify the locking mechanism:

Designv4-Lock.JPGDesignv4-Lock2.JPG
I am aiming for $345 + shipping. I am located in Portland, OR and local pick-up is always an option!!

I realize this isn't cheap -- but neither is laser cutting nor CNC bending! I believe this will be far superior to anything available on the market and will look great taboot!

I'll update this thread as the development continues... PM me or put a message here if you are interested. I'm aiming for early 2021 for first delivery.

If you own a Savana or Express -- stay tuned -- that design is almost done as well -- but I'll wait to physically prototype that unit until after the Astro.

Last edited:

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Did you post on the two Astro/Safari forums? There was a guy doing them over there, Johnny5 I think, but I haven't seen him post anything lately.

WinnieVan

Just on Astrosafari.com. I don’t frequent the other one — but should cross post there too.

There’s sufficient interest to get a batch of these going — the design is in its final stages before I send off for a prototype. I’ll update here when I get a chance.

WinnieVan

Did you post on the two Astro/Safari forums? There was a guy doing them over there, Johnny5 I think, but I haven't seen him post anything lately.

FWIW - Johnny5 was selling on this forum and I believe he has moved on from the Astro swivel game based on his note on Facebook. I actually own one of his bases, and the list of Astro owners who have asked me where I got it is long -- it's part of the reason I thought about designing this in the first place. Guess the timing is good - I wasn't too stoked to compete with Johny since he's a great guy and his product is great too.

WinnieVan

Well this product release is quite literally growing legs -- prototype is on the way and I expect a product release in Early 2021:

jZz8E4.gif

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I may very well be interested if this gets going. Located in Tucson - have 2002 Chevy Astro AWD.

WinnieVan

It's moving along -- got the prototype in hand -- now working on the lock mechanism and then some stress testing...

Stay tuned... I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

Boy I just love lasers and press brakes...

IMG_6108.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
Interested in a swivel base how much will one of these cost... building a low budget astro one for my son

Wondering how many other GM this will fit in

WinnieVan

Final pricing is still TBD but should be around $350 + shipping -- and this will only fit in the Astro.

I am working on an Express/Savana model as well.. but that'll be a couple more months I'd guess.

WinnieVan

Only a passenger for now -- if enough people want a driver side, I'd consider making those too -- but will take a bit of redesign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles