Cherokee KL Trailhawk First Run

mb1k

Observer
Took my new Trailhawk for a quick location scouting run this morning. Initial thoughts; FWD is gonna take some getting used to, I think this is what rally drivers have to deal with, it can get the job done, wish I had one more inch of lift, solid but not as hefty as my Jeep Commander Overland with QDII. But for the money, great little offroader and light to medium Overlander base vehicle. More to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N7V3GY4K9M

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-30%20at%204.40.23%20PM.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Nice TH! Love that rig. Goto Rocky Road, they have a lift kit to fit 265s on the new Cherokee. Plus a bunch of other goodies.

Long Rifle

Observer
Nice video. We have had our 2015 TH for 2 years now and other than some recalls, it has been flawless. I can't make the same claim for our 2014 Rubicon which recently had to be towed off a trail because fan module failed. Also had oil cooler/filter housing failure. We find the TH to be our vehicle of choice for road trips and easy to easy/ moderate trails. Would definitely lift it if we didn't have the Wrangler. It really only lacks ground clearance and suspension travel from being highly capable. Will go to slightly larger BFG ATs when stock tires wear out as I don't trust the Firestone ATs on rocks.

mb1k

Observer
Thanks kojackJKU & Long Rifle.

I've been looking at the Rocky Road KL Lift kit and my first question is whether we're gaining an inch of lift but sacrificing down travel? If I'm not going to hamper or lose significant travel, sounds like a definite addition. The worst thing looking at the video is the break over angle, need to get those rock sliders sooner than later.

kojackJKU

Sort of MB1K, your suspension will travel Just as far as it does now....but you gain break over, approach/departure angles plus some space to stuff bigger tires. Same setup as on my patriot. Works real well. Its a definite addition to fit bigger tires anyways...

mb1k

Observer
Not having had the KL up on a lift and not being a suspension pro, I do know some suspension geometries use the overall travel to increase lift. If you have total of 7 inches of travel with 4 being "down" and 3 being "up" and the lift the vehicle 2 inches you will now only have 2 inches of down travel and in some case not a whole 5 inches of "up" travel. That's my concern.

kojackJKU

THat happens on most every lift if you Don't swap arms, shocks etc.....That's nothing new....If you were rock crawling yeah, I would worry, on a dd, trail machine, your fine....

mb1k

Observer
Thanks! I've already budgeted for Mopar rock rails after Thanksgiving. As the Commander is my main off road vehicle and Overlander, the rock rails will just be for added insurance during mild trips like this one. Then a factory tow kit, and Wilco Hitchgate that will serve double duty for the KL and the Commander.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I am unsure on rock rails for my pat. BUT they may go on for insurance like you said. probably better to have and not need….The KL is a deadly rig! love em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94