Cherokee 3.0 crd / Wrangler swap can it be done yes

tugbat

In an as far as the goal of the vehicle. The image in my head is a light duty expedition vehicle. Camping hunting rough unmaintained roads. But not rock crawling. Or muding. I enjoy beating a Jeep to death as much as the next guy. But my concern always has to be the vehicle has to be able to get me home. The plan is to tow cJ5 replica or good original maybe a razor type vehicle. To use at the destination wherever that may be.

My 99 wrangler is used for hunting and camping. But again have to take it easy so that we can get back home. Yeah I know just by the 2007 diesel Cherokee or or truck with slide on camper and tow your toy.
But what fun would that be.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If your budget is truly that high, you can get a Bosch ECU that will run that OM648 for ~$4k.

The original ECU is Bosch, it's just locked and a nightmare. If you buy a full replacement, you'll be good to go.

-Dan

Lee_N

I think it would be easier to get the BCM of the Wrangler to talk to the ECM and TCM using some sort of interface module to convert the protocol. Seems like a lot less work than fitting independent suspension to the JK. Also, don't remember if the Mercedes diesel in the 2007 GC used DEF, but you'll want to carry over the emissions controls or you'll limit your resale market (IF you ever want to sell it).

eviioiive

Observer
I know what a splice is... That's why I would avoid it. If you actually intend to have a custom ground up frame built -that's not a splice. If you are going to chop up two cars and weld them together in the middle- that's a splice.... And I'd avoid it.

Custom frame good
Two cars glued together in the middle bad

Lecoq

Explorer
If you REALLY want a DIESEL JK. Here's what you do.

Step 1: Figure out you're entire budget

Step 2: Visit Cotybuilt -> http://www.cotybuilt.com/#

Step 3: Take budget and hand over to Cotybuilt

Step 4: Receive DIESEL JK

You're welcome.

tugbat

Still wondering why... What's the benefit?

With the reliability of modern gasoline engines there is no real advantage . The only one I can actually think of would be carrying reserve tanks of diesel is preferred over gasoline.
But that's the only real advantage.

Just a project I've thought of doing. These are the things I want to hear. If enough information is presented that this is just an absolutely horrible idea. I can always take the easier path and build something else.

tugbat

Wasn't sure if you knew. I agree with you completely just was giving a simplified description' For the amount of modifications that would have to be made I would more than likely go with a one-off custom frame.

tugbat

Thanks geecy and Lee- N
for the info this is the kind of information I'm looking for. The electronics is my weak point. Like I said earlier most of my experience is with marine diesels. Designed in the late 1950s. Converted a new one would be considered something built in the 1960s EMD s . Locomotive engines converted for marine use.

Now on the same page all of the new installations are completely computerized. You sit in a 5 x 5 control room. You don't have to stand between the engines and manually open the blow downs in each cylinder as you crank the engine. To blow it down before starting.

tugbat

geecy

Unfortunately the budget is real. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to pay between 30 and 35,000 for a new Jeep. And then have to throw in more money for upgrades.
Not to mention what would be a great deal. By bruiser @ around 20,000+ the vehicle

Got me to thinking maybe doing your own custom would be fun and save a bunch of money.

I tend to keep the Jeeps pretty long time. My 1999 TJ is still running perfectly. So this new project will probably be my last Jeep figuring I'm 57 now.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Checked out ther YJ kit. 8 grand, not including the tdi motor or the YJ. Who buys these kits?

Installed, with refreshed engine is about $20k. I checked, since they are local to me and i could drop off an LJ (which was my plan) and pick up a turn-key TDI Jeep. I just couldn't justify the cost...for $35k (including an LJ) plus mods and upgrades made me decide to wait and see if the 2017 is actually offered with a diesel. Sure, it'll probably cost $10-15k more to buy a new one, but then I get new technology (and likely even better mpg) and a factory warranty.

I just hope the JK replacement isn't fugly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles