Cherokee 3.0 crd / Wrangler swap can it be done yes

tugbat

EDIt:

I'm going to try and post this again. What I'd like to do is a engine swap 3.0 CRD diesel . To an 2007/08 JK Unlimited.

How I see this being done. Is to splice the Cherokee frame from the transmission mounts forward onto a Jk frame.

Use all of the 100% of the wiring suspension everything from the Cherokee.

Including splicing the firewall from the Cherokee onto the JK . Cherokee – dashboard cluster frame included

This is an oversimplification. Would like your ideas and thoughts on the project.

Edited the original post. For some reason it posted with no punctuation and scrambled some lines. Became a giant wall of words. Hope this works better.

I used Dragon naturally speaking may have caused the problem.

Last edited:

tugbat

Wait, what?

welcome to the ExPo, but I have no idea what you're asking/saying, sorry!

Me neither Bigdaddy when I posted it. It just went to one big wall of words. No punctuation. Trying to straighten it out so it makes sense.
I never posted here before and I've never seen this happen anywhere else.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
One issue will be the oil pan on the 3.0 engine interfering with the front axle. Maybe there is a low profile oil pan.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Just to be clear, are we talking about the new (2014+) VM V6 3.0 in the Grand Cherokee, or the older Merc 3.0 diesel in the cherokee?

-Dan

jpat30

Adventurer
OP states that he has an 07/08 JK; I would guess that he would try and stay close with an 07/08 3.0 diesel. I could be wrong though.......

tugbat

Let me see if I can clear this up. I would be building an entirely new frame. From the transmission mounts forward it would be identical to a 2007 Cherokee frame. And it's complete

subframe. I am aware that the Cherokee is a unibody frame. And the jk is a standard frame.. They unibody section would be remanufactured as a solid frame.

Clearance for the oil pan would be the same as on the Cherokee. The donor cars have not been purchased yet.

That will happen sometime in March.

From the transmissions mounts back the frame would be identical to a 2002 jk . The difference in the frames with is less than three quarters of an inch

Engine mounts everything would be identical to the Cherokee.

Last edited:

tugbat

From what I've read the main problem with these swaps are the electronics.. That's why my plan is to swap everything every wire every harness including cutting the firewall out of the Cherokee and replacing it in the tj including the gauge clusters and gauge cluster frames.

The complete electronics package everything from the Cherokee. The jk would be basically just the body. Axles transfer case. Front and rear differentials all Cherokee

Basically replacing the unibody frame and mounting. A JK body on.

As far as my experience I've been in the maritime industry for 25 years . And have retired as a chief engineer for 90% of that time. So mechanically I feel I can do the job. I realize most of the engines I work on are longer , higher , wider, and heavier, then a fully loaded Cherokee. But I can't fit them in my garage.

It just seems like a fun project to kill some time and throw some money at. The frame will be contracted out I'll probably cut all the pieces . An tack weld together and then contractor a frame shop. As far as budget I'm figuring around realistically $18,000 to $24,000 it will be replacing my 1999 Jeep Wrangler .

Last edited:

tugbat

splice1%20copy.jpg
I would avoid that whole splicing idea....

An example of a slice.
It's extremely strong weld and commonly used in structures and automobile frames

tugbat

Why not just source a diesel Jeep wrangler motor from europe? And install as a the factory does...

From what I've read .The European engineis not eligible because of emissions and also electronics is a major factor it's difficult to get them to play together that's the reason for the entire electronic switch. These days everything is tied together ABS brakes transmission and engine all work together electronically that's the big headache of just swapping another engine in is very difficult to get everything to work together .

The 3.0 used in the 2007/2008 and Cherokee in the United States . Articles I have read talk of even have them to change the window motors actuators. Because they won't work with electronics from vehicle to vehicle. I mentioned earlier I have not been able to find complete details of a successful 3.0 swap. Without having major electrical problems. This is the main reason I feel it's necessary to swap everything and just use the Wrangler as a shell

. I'm not saying it can't be done just that I think this idea may actually be E Z er

tugbat

I'm also doing more research on the legality of swapping in and engine that was not offered for that model. I'm in Florida so I have some leeway as far as inspections. Insurance may be different. And I may have to do it as a custom vehicle. Just some more things,
I'm interested in hearing about. So jump in if you've done anything like this.

tugbat

Another thing to think about sourcing a European wrangler engine. The ECM for the European engine is not compatible with – cluster. It also have to source the transmission.

And again electronically it becomes difficult mate all of the wiring. It doesn't seem to want to play nicely together . So you would be purchasing many components necessary and the cost of finding the individual pieces to the puzzle and then shipping.

I feel would be prohibitive then trying to get them to work in the US car.

A salvage titled 2007 diesel U.S. Cherokee goes for $6000 - $ 10,000 depending on the extent of damage. In this way you have everything you need . The good thing is a complete rollover would still be usable for me.

As far as the wrangler ideally a flood damage wrangler one that has been completely submerged would be the perfect candidate for me.

If anyone has information on how this can be done cost effectively.

I would really like to hear about it.
Any articles or write ups about using the European engine for this swap would be appreciated.

Especially if this information on the wiring. And how successful they've been

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior