Cherokee 3.0 crd / Wrangler swap can it be done yes

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Designed in the late 1950s. Converted a new one would be considered something built in the 1960s EMD s . Locomotive engines converted for marine use.

Aren't EMD two strokes from the thirties? That's what I was taught. Do your marine emd engines run emdec, or are they still using governors?

madZJ

Observer
Banks has a 3.0L diesel backed by a six speed auto they are bringing to market. Might be an option if its cheap enough.

jpat30

Adventurer
^^^
Was introduced at SEMA (last year I believe) and touted as a replacement for jeeps initially equipped with the 4.0. I don't believe that it is a go though. I have emailed them on several occasions and 1 attempted phone call with no responses.

MotoDave

Explorer
My opinion:

I would use just the engine from the GC and adapt it to the JK transmission/tcase. Leave the JK solid axles in place, I can't see any possible advantage to converting it to a complicated independent suspension. You'd have to fabricate some motor mounts, and that should be about it, maybe move around cooling components. This would let you still use any aftermarket suspension parts that are on the market for the JK, which is probably the best supported platform in the world.

If the wiring is beyond your experience, take it to someone who knows the 3.0 diesel engine and let them work it out. There must be a way to get it to run independent of the rest of the truck, even if it takes going to a standalone ECU system.

tugbat

My opinion:

I would use just the engine from the GC and adapt it to the JK transmission/tcase. Leave the JK solid axles in place, I can't see any possible advantage to converting it to a complicated independent suspension. You'd have to fabricate some motor mounts, and that should be about it, maybe move around cooling components. This would let you still use any aftermarket suspension parts that are on the market for the JK, which is probably the best supported platform in the world.

If the wiring is beyond your experience, take it to someone who knows the 3.0 diesel engine and let them work it out. There must be a way to get it to run independent of the rest of the truck, even if it takes going to a standalone ECU system.

This was my original intention. Sounded easy enough. But once I started to research . You cannot just change transmissions. and some wiring unfortunately it's not the 1960s anymore.
Everything is so intertwined it is virtually impossible everything is coded and secured just like your computer for anti-tampering. ABS brakes transmission and engine all work together for the traction controls to work. And components to get them to play nice gets very pricey. Research has shown individual components from $3500 and up. Along without reprogramming costs.

If I can find a way to accomplish this for around 25,000 continue with the dream. After that it just makes sense to buy a new vehicle. And put the money into the towed vehicle

SamM

Adventurer
My opinion:

Step 1.) Go buy a new Jeep. Step 2.) Get the LifeMax warranty and pay for the lifetime oil changes while you are there. Approximate cost is: $3500 over the cost of the Jeep of your choice. It will be cheaper in the long run. There is no real advantage to running a diesel over the gasoline engine, except for flammability issues. Besides gasoline is cheaper. Step 3.) Drive the beans out of it, knowing that if anything happens, it belongs to Chrysler.

tugbat

I agree with you. I mentioned the exact same thing earlier including the fuel. But there is something to be said for building the vehicle. And having something different when you pull in to the campsite, and everybody else's standing there with their off-the-shelf parts all shined up,

How much is that worth I don't know. But in the next month or two I can guarantee that I will and a decision will be made one way or the other.
Do any of us really need everything that we put into a Jeep. 99.9% of the upgrades put into today's Jeeps will not be used to their fullest.

But even with light use I'm the guy that comes back with scratches and an inch of sand on top of the engine. And that's without trying too. My neighbors Jeep has never had its tires dirty, he's the reason I realized that Jeep could actually make a profit selling two wheel drive wranglers.

SamM

Adventurer
And I agree with you, tugboat. Having a custom vehicle is very nice. Knowing that you built it yourself gives you a sense of pride in it that others will never know. Myself, I have done that several times. I built a custom Toyota FJ-40 several years ago. When I decided to sell it, I lost a lot of money that could never be recovered. That's the nature of the beast and something to consider.

With my current Jeep JK, I just want something reliable to get me back and forth to work and for the occasional Overlanding trip. By the time I retire in 5 1/2 years, it will be paid for. The warranty was an added cost but one transmission rebuild will cover that. I just paid for it up front. My thought is that whatever happens, Chrysler will need to take care of it. My MOAB came with all the good AEV stuff. I've added very little but plan just the necessities. Nothing will be added that doesn't bring added capability with it. The Jeep has the AEV snorkle (which is for dusty conditions, not water crossings), AEV rear bumper water tanks, takeoff Rubicon wheels and tires and will soon get a Gobi roof rack. I hope to add a ZEON winch and the AEV tire carrier this Winter or early Spring. A tent and trailer are in the works. My Jeep does not have lockers as I didn't feel they were necessary for my planned use. The winch is for extractions, should I ever need it.

If I was going to build a Jeep though, and I'm really glad I didn't! I'd start with something salvage and go from there. Especially, if I was going to put a diesel into it. Rip it apart, strengthen the frame, add the engine and so on. Keep it simple and light. Why pay for something running that has a bunch of parts that will not be used? You won't get anything out of them, if you can sell them at all. The Cummins 4BT would be my diesel of choice. It's simple, inexpensive, powerful and reliable. Just my 2 cents and I hope it helps.

tugbat

Regardless of the route I take it will be with salvaged vehicles. The cost of the modifications could never be recovered. And most assuredly would be sold at a loss when that time came. And that's just materials. The time as we all know can never be recaptured.Or compensated for.

Your vehicle description sounds great. And you're planned usage is very similar to What I have in mind.

MotoDave

Explorer
This was my original intention. Sounded easy enough. But once I started to research . You cannot just change transmissions. and some wiring unfortunately it's not the 1960s anymore.
Everything is so intertwined it is virtually impossible everything is coded and secured just like your computer for anti-tampering. ABS brakes transmission and engine all work together for the traction controls to work. And components to get them to play nice gets very pricey. Research has shown individual components from $3500 and up. Along without reprogramming costs.

If I can find a way to accomplish this for around 25,000 continue with the dream. After that it just makes sense to buy a new vehicle. And put the money into the towed vehicle

Guess if it were me then I'd pick an engine that wasn't so 'locked down'. Find something that just has the ECU run the motor and maybe interface with the transmission, and go from there.

But hey its your money and time, so I say go for it and let us all watch the build :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles