Checking out a 2003 Grand Cherokee, What should I know?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
An acquaintance has a 2003 Grand Cherokee for sale for $3500. It is the Limited trim package with 4.7L. We have first right of refusal, but I one practically nothing about is engine, nor have I ever paid much attention to it (I'm a 4.0L fan).

I drove the vehicle tonight and, I must say, it was amazingly comfortable and tight. Especially for having 167k miles on the clock. Am I crazy for considering this vehicle? Is there anything I should know or beware of? I turn to the Expo crew because, if anyone cares about reliability, it is this community.

Thank you in advance!

I don't think I'd pay $3500 for it. I picked up my 4.7HO 02 limited with 48k miles on it last year for $6k. It's been great so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Or maybe consider a 2005-2010 WK...better on road performance, more refined, and can be modified for relatively cheap. The 4.7L is pretty reliable. The 2005 models with similar mileage or around $5000

Jake79

check out wjjeeps.com they have almost everything you need to know about 99-04 grand cherokees. The front drive shaft has two options a double cardon type or a sort of cv type. The double cardon is better if you lift it. iirc 03 has the upgraded akebono front brakes. The rear diff should be a dana 44a which is unique. Quadra drive and the upcountry package are nice to have. The thing that supprised me the most was that almost all the fluids are specific from mopar so do your research before changing anything. hope this helps.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The biggest problem I know of is with the AC/Heat venting, especially on limited models with the dual zone climate control. Air will only blow out of the defrost vent, regardless of the placement of the knob. If you take this to a dealer to fix, they have to spend several hours removing the entire dash, and it's a very expensive fix.

It's quite possible, and from what I read, a massive PITA to fix yourself. Sometimes it's simply a vacuum hose that has popped off, but other times it's the whole shebang.

Test those vents thoroughly on any GC you're looking to buy. From what I read, it's a "when" problem, not an "if" problem.

Note: My knowledge is a few years old from my research done while considering a WJ for myself.

paroxysym

Adventurer
personally id stick with the WJ over the WK... youve got a SFA, and paired with the 4.7 its pretty quick and has plenty of power. the WJ is lighter than the WK as well. plush the interior is alot plusher than the WK.

things you need to know- dont get the 4.0, its a pig and the tranny with the 4.0 tends to get its *** handed to it. the viscious coupler in the tcase tends to be a pain in the butt. other than that, theyre not terrible. the blend door issue with the HVAC is also a common PITA. but there is a bypass fix for it.

other than that i think theyre great platforms to build on- SFAs, d44 rear, you can get Quadra-drive in it which is a great tcase to have and will have front/rear ELSD. interior is plush, and when built right theyre just great vehicles IMO

Jake79

Ya forgot to mention the hvac system sucks. I think it's the blend door store that has a inexpensive easy repair, if you have issues. They also have an issue with the plug at the resistor melting and loosing contact. Mopar has a tsb and repair harness for that or you can solder the wires and ditch the plug.

larrydallas

The 4.7L is actually a good engine IF maintained properly. Unlike the 4.0, if it overheats it is done. Still, there are a lot of idiosyncrasies with these cars and age (I guess short of Toyotas the same can be said for most everything). General maintenance is a bit on the high side, plus at this age a lot of other things start to need attention. Make sure all maintenance is up to date. Every 30k miles you have to replace both diff fluids (might need special Mopar limited slip fluid added to oil), replace transfer case fluid and replace spark plugs and PCV. Given the age if not recently done I would guess the TPS and IAC will need replaced, plus a whole lot of other sensors will be going soon. Control arm bushings are likely pretty aged. Dual AC is a known headache on these, and also the window regulator/motors go often. Depending on the configuration, make sure the transfer case engages. Does it have Quadradrive or Select-trac or what? I personally like Quadradrive but some pure-ists prefer the 242 transfer case for 2wd, 4 high, low, etc.

Any plans for offroading or lifting, mods, etc.? As mentioned, wjjeeps.com is a great site for learning abou the vehicle, and Jeepforum.com has a dedicated WJ section that has a wealth of knowledge on issues and modifications. I am not trying to knock the WJ, just make sure it has been kept up well. A 4.7L with Quadradrive is extremely capable offroad, as much as any other stock rig. The only issue I have is clearance related. I have 3 inches of lift and 31" tires. It has gone everywhere I have asked so long as it doesn't get hung up.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Well, I was too slow and the Jeep was sold while I deliberated. Thank you all for the input!

Sent via fat thumb

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Probably just a well. The used low mileage engine company I buy from won't sell the 4.7 out of a low mileage "totaled" vehicle. They have had poor experience with this engine and recommend if you going to use this engine, go with a new one or re-mfg. one so you can know the history.

On our project cars we have steered away from such engines.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles