Check your tires regardless of age and mileage

ExpoMike

Hi all,

Just sending out a cautionary tale to check your tires from time to time, regardless of how old they are or how many miles you have put on them.

My '99 Cherokee, I installed a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2's in Nov. 2017. Been happy with them but I was getting ready for a road trip to AZ and was checking the air in the tires. I noticed ALL 4 tires had cracking through out the tires. Between lugs, all over the sidewalls, etc. Needless to say I was very shocked to find this. The tires were 3.5 years old and only 12,000 miles. Date codes were all within a year of my purchase. In the 50+ sets of tires I have bought over the years, I have never had anything like this happen. They looked like tires that were 15 years old, like I get when I buy an old classic car that hasn't been driven in decades. Even the guy at Discount Tires was surprised. Since this was found right before leaving for our trip, I had the worry of a blow out or separation the whole trip. Luckily no issues but first thing I did when I got back was to get into Discount Tires.

They gave me a warranty claim (pro-rated based on tread depth) and credit that to a new set. This time I decided to go with a set of Toyo Open Country A/T 3. They actually were about $40 cheaper than the REVO's as well.

Just wanted to share, that you should take a few minutes to check, not just the air pressure but the condition of the tires, regardless of when you bought them or how many miles you have driven.

New tire on dirty wheel. :)

0601211821.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This is a great reminder, Mike!

One of the best skills ever drilled into me when I was driving shuttle buses (college job), was the walk-around inspection at the start of every shift (including the 5-7 driver changes throughout the day). This is still something I do pretty regularly - every gas fill-up, prior to departure for longer trips, and every time I go from pavement to dirt or back again.

I can recall at least four or five times that I've caught issues that could have been trip-enders or major pucker-inducers if they'd manifested at inopportune times. And more than once it has been on someone else's vehicle. (Hard habit to break...)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is a great reminder, Mike!

One of the best skills ever drilled into me when I was driving shuttle buses (college job), was the walk-around inspection at the start of every shift (including the 5-7 driver changes throughout the day). This is still something I do pretty regularly - every gas fill-up, prior to departure for longer trips, and every time I go from pavement to dirt or back again.

I can recall at least four or five times that I've caught issues that could have been trip-enders or major pucker-inducers if they'd manifested at inopportune times. And more than once it has been on someone else's vehicle. (Hard habit to break...)

I walk the dogs 2x a day around the hood. It’s like second nature to text a neighbor hey you got a flat or wire is showing might be time for tires?. I now understand why Auto makers had to put you have a flat dummy lights on the dash. Its really amazing how oblivious people are when it comes to even the very, very basics of vehicle maintenance

craig333

Expedition Leader
Funny, when I was with CDF (now Calfire) we did a full check every morning. You'd think that would have stuck with me. I need to get back into that habit. I also had a set of BFG AT's crack on me. Never seen that with the MTs though.
I had a set of Revo 2s. Great in the snow but they sure wore quickly.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
My dad always did this and it is something I picked up. EVERY time I walk up to my truck I take a quick glance of everything. Front to back, top to bottom. Great habit to have. I do it with all cars I walk by and always leave a (non karen) note when I see an issue.

Good post and A+ customer service for discount tire. Never had an issue with their service, only the used tires I got on CL that they couldn't fix, which they tried to do and didn't charge me.

86scotty

Cynic

Paul, I didn't read through that entire thread, apparently I missed it when it was fresh, but it's got to be the local moose population peeing on your tires. I've never had any problems at all with them and I have had, say, 6 or 7 sets? Also currently on all 3 vehicles I own.

It's really just science. In TN we have no moose and we have no KO2 cracks so it only stands to reason that it's the wildlife.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
People lacking in obvious basics are everywhere.

I could probably end the post there...

But a few weeks ago had a good tire story. Driving home with my wife and a car passes us on the freeway with sparks flying off the rear tire as the belts hit the asphalt. I comment on the overall intelligence of that person... well over 80 mph on bald tires down to the cords. She was in the process of accusing me of being a drama queen when we came around a corner and up on a 4 car pile-up caused by that guy’s blowout.

Amazingly, she took it back and agreed that I “might have a point”... it’s a big win!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul, I didn't read through that entire thread, apparently I missed it when it was fresh, but it's got to be the local moose population peeing on your tires. I've never had any problems at all with them and I have had, say, 6 or 7 sets? Also currently on all 3 vehicles I own.

It's really just science. In TN we have no moose and we have no KO2 cracks so it only stands to reason that it's the wildlife.

I'd drink to that science! Cheers!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hi all,

Just sending out a cautionary tale to check your tires from time to time, regardless of how old they are or how many miles you have put on them.

My '99 Cherokee, I installed a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2's in Nov. 2017. Been happy with them but I was getting ready for a road trip to AZ and was checking the air in the tires. I noticed ALL 4 tires had cracking through out the tires. Between lugs, all over the sidewalls, etc. Needless to say I was very shocked to find this. The tires were 3.5 years old and only 12,000 miles. Date codes were all within a year of my purchase. In the 50+ sets of tires I have bought over the years, I have never had anything like this happen. They looked like tires that were 15 years old, like I get when I buy an old classic car that hasn't been driven in decades. Even the guy at Discount Tires was surprised. Since this was found right before leaving for our trip, I had the worry of a blow out or separation the whole trip. Luckily no issues but first thing I did when I got back was to get into Discount Tires.

They gave me a warranty claim (pro-rated based on tread depth) and credit that to a new set. This time I decided to go with a set of Toyo Open Country A/T 3. They actually were about $40 cheaper than the REVO's as well.

Just wanted to share, that you should take a few minutes to check, not just the air pressure but the condition of the tires, regardless of when you bought them or how many miles you have driven.

New tire on dirty wheel. :)

View attachment 664091
Bridgestone AT's were the worst performing tire I ever had on my '98.5. Cuts,flats and finally a near catastrophic blowout. Total tread separation which yielded $3300 damage in seconds. Second in line were BFG AT's. Even with Road Force I never could get rid of highway vibes. Bought some Toyo M-55's and have had Toyos ever since. They won't let you down.

Alloy

Here're some more reasons to check you own stuff....

- We came back from a trip and I took the truck into to service before heading off on another trip. I told the dealer "Do not touch the tires because I'll be towing a trailer in 2 days". Got the truck back and all the tires pressures where dropped to the numbers on the door sticker.

- When servicing our Subaru they are suppose to remove the calipers and lubricate the pads. The tech didn't do it......how do I know....the calipers, pads and rotors where sprayed with oil/grease.

- Had new tires installed on our Subaru by a large/busy shop. I asked them to note the wheel nut torque on the invoice. Torque wasn't there when I picked the car up. It's suppose to be 90ft/lbs. I got the manager and told him if it takes take more than 130ft/lbs to break the nuts loos they will be buying OEM studs and replacing them. Wit the torque wrench was set at 130ft/lbs I stopped counting the clicks on the first wheel.

ExpoMike

Bridgestone AT's were the worst performing tire I ever had on my '98.5. Cuts,flats and finally a near catastrophic blowout. Total tread separation which yielded $3300 damage in seconds. Second in line were BFG AT's. Even with Road Force I never could get rid of highway vibes. Bought some Toyo M-55's and have had Toyos ever since. They won't let you down.

Their standard A/T's suck. The REVO and later REVO 2 are actually a very good tire. I have used both on two different Cherokees. That's why the cracking issue was a surprise.

That said, the original REVO, we're made in Japan and these REVO 2 were made in Canada. These models were the ONLY Bridgestone tires I would own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior