Check engine light and limp mode 2006 fuso fG 140

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hi went for a trip and on my return, the engine started to surge and lose power. The yellow check engine light came on a number of times and would go in limp mode. I would shut it off and restart the engine to get it out of limp mode. It got progressively worse and even a couple of times the red check engine light came on. Now this has happened before and I changed the fuel filter and the problem went away. This time I managed to get home and I changed the fuel filter pumped the tank out and added new fuel. The engine starts fine but when I try to drive it, it doesn't go very far and I barely managed to get the truck in the driveway. When I rev up the engine at idle the engine runs fine until it reaches 2500 rpm then cuts off.

I would like to know if:
If it is in serious limp mode, will the computer make the engine do this?

Is there a way I can override this or reset it so I can manage to get the truck in for service?

Is there an easy way to read the computer codes in these trucks?

Thanks for your help.

boostin

Adventurer
Hey send me your e mail and when I get home I can find the papers how to check the codes but very easy

There is a procedure that involves pulling out fuses and it will flash the codes for you

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hey puglsyyy... when you say that you have had "good luck" with this scan tool, does this mean that you get valid data out of your ECU using it?
Two simple tests that I have used, that have failed on all units I have tested, is to get the engine RPM and to read the VIN.
Will your scan tool give you those two things?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hey puglsyyy... when you say that you have had "good luck" with this scan tool, does this mean that you get valid data out of your ECU using it?
Two simple tests that I have used, that have failed on all units I have tested, is to get the engine RPM and to read the VIN.
Will your scan tool give you those two things?

No, but it will read and clear the correct codes.

My experience is that the engine data is not correct but that the codes are correct and that I can clear them.

For example, low fuel pressure from a clogged fuel filter will throw the appropriate code and put the truck into limp and I can clear it.

pugslyyy

I have a 2007. The OBD adapter I use is wireless (bluetooth) and Torque is the app I use on my android phone.

It works really well, and I just leave the adapter plugged in to the Fuso 100% of the time. If I need to do something I just fire up the app on my phone.

It doesn't do anything Fuso-specific, but works fine for clearing codes.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I must admit that I am always a bit skeptical of devices that "sort of" read data.
I am not disputing that this tool seems to work for you, but it worries me that a command sent to the ECU from such a device could potentially do more harm than good.
And yes, I continue to search for a scan tool that will read Fuso specific data, as well as clear codes, but it's not looking good.

westyss

Explorer
I have a 2007. The OBD adapter I use is wireless (bluetooth) and Torque is the app I use on my android phone.

It works really well, and I just leave the adapter plugged in to the Fuso 100% of the time. If I need to do something I just fire up the app on my phone.

It doesn't do anything Fuso-specific, but works fine for clearing codes.

Thanks, I did read that its only for android, but will it work for an android tablet do you think?

pugslyyy

I must admit that I am always a bit skeptical of devices that "sort of" read data.
I am not disputing that this tool seems to work for you, but it worries me that a command sent to the ECU from such a device could potentially do more harm than good.
And yes, I continue to search for a scan tool that will read Fuso specific data, as well as clear codes, but it's not looking good.

I attribute it to different PID standards.

I think the big difference is that most scanners are looking for J/1979 (car) codes and the Fuso talk J/1939 (truck). Mode 03 works fine because it doesn't use PIDs, and Mode 04 is just a reset (also doesn't care about PIDs).

The only thing a generic OBD2 is capable of doing is sending a 'clear codes' command (Mode 04) so I'm not seeing how there is any danger. The absolute worst case is that it wouldn't be able to clear the codes, which would not leave you any worse off than you are already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
So... are you getting the right error codes using that device?
At the end of the day, my only real reason for wanting a scanner is so that I can do fault finding if the stupid thing pops up an error code. As you would know, without the appropriate error code/s it is next to impossible to track down an engine fault. Yes, I know, you can use blink codes, but I am pretty sure the mechanic at my local Fuso dealer told me that only a scan tool will show all of the error codes. Don't know if that is true or not, but it's what he said.

pugslyyy

So... are you getting the right error codes using that device?
At the end of the day, my only real reason for wanting a scanner is so that I can do fault finding if the stupid thing pops up an error code. As you would know, without the appropriate error code/s it is next to impossible to track down an engine fault. Yes, I know, you can use blink codes, but I am pretty sure the mechanic at my local Fuso dealer told me that only a scan tool will show all of the error codes. Don't know if that is true or not, but it's what he said.

Yes, it reads the error codes just fine. It's is the realtime data that is fugly (rpm, temperatures, etc) but I think it is because the Fuso uses the truck standard not the car standard. The error codes are universal.

I don't know about "all" the error codes - it's possible that only the Fuso-specific tool will do that. I can say that it has given me all the information I need to diagnose and correct problems (like flagging a faulty cylinder recognition sensor).

I also don't have any experience with the "Fuso Moderne" with all the emissions stuff hanging on it. It may well be that you need the MUT-3 for that, but I can't say since I haven't had an opportunity to test it.

All I really know is that it can get my particular truck out of limp mode when I need it to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles