Cheap tricks and solutions - product modifications, DIY, or repurposed items- not on-sale items

s.e.charles

pretty slick. we had a small one when we were kids and put it in my uncle's sandpile as a garage for the Tonka trucks

Mccaf

Adventurist
Built my own slide-out for my M8mule trailer. I needed to hold a bar sink, containers for kitchen and camping gear and a stove with counter space. Knock-off Metro shelves from HD, 500lb drawer slides, and some scrap wood.
Still modifying as a work in progress. ~$200. Love this thread!

4967A9E1-26C0-4E04-8488-ECB18AEB4ADD.png07B1EEE9-16D5-44F3-8E6F-E5CBA0F2A3A1.png640E4AA2-92B2-471D-9CB1-6E94BFC391E1.pngCE185ECA-2834-4341-8C36-7F91A8F5A3AC.jpeg

ottsville

Observer
ahhhhh.... what is it? what is it suppose to be now? So color me stupid lol
Portable propane fire pit made from a patio propane fire pit. I really thought the flames in the picture would give it away ;)

These came up in another thread. When ever someone mentioned a propane fire pit I always thought "that's dumb, just something else to carry, etc." But after camping next to someone with one I realized how nice they are. You don't have to move wood or find wood, you just flick the switch and have a fire, you don't end up smelling like smoke, and when your done you just turn it off and go to bed, no banking or dowsing needed.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Portable propane fire pit made from a patio propane fire pit. I really thought the flames in the picture would give it away ;)

These came up in another thread. When ever someone mentioned a propane fire pit I always thought "that's dumb, just something else to carry, etc." But after camping next to someone with one I realized how nice they are. You don't have to move wood or find wood, you just flick the switch and have a fire, you don't end up smelling like smoke, and when your done you just turn it off and go to bed, no banking or dowsing needed.
ahhhhhhhhh. sorta guessed that is what it was but was not sure if you were using it for different purpose in the spirit of this thread. Thus was not sure if you were using it "as a fire pit" , cooking, heat or????

Last edited:

NevetsG

I use a ATV sprayer for running water. It's a 10 gallon integrated water system for about $100. I made a frame out of 6061-T6 aluminum that fits in place of the 40% split rear seat. The top is a plywood platform with tiedowns for our bags, which are Mountainsmith modular hauler cubes. I removed the spray boom and substituted that with a German-made Gardena spray nozzle with a quick disconnect, which is especially nice. I can get 3 spray patterns, adjust the flow rate, and lock the trigger for continuous flow. The flow rate is just over 1GPM which is a good balance of flow and water saving.
View attachment 454658View attachment 454659

View attachment 454661View attachment 454662

View attachment 454663

I've been eyeballing these tanks at Harbor Freight.

Since the tank isn't food rated, how did you clean it out?

NevetsG

I ran across a Hoffman enclosure on Craigslist last year for $100. As we use it, it's 48"w x 36"d x 13"h. Perfect fit behind my 3rd seat in my 1999 GMC Suburban (with the spare tire out).

It was a heavy ******** though so I skeletonized the bottom, sides and back (see pics).

Eventually the bottom will have wood or expanded metal, so I can mount some attachment points for gear and still keep it "relatively" light weight.
Also on the box mod list is a quick(er) release points to remove the box when full. Right now it has to be emptied since there isn't a floor and it's crazy heavy if full.

Note: I do not have a weight before, or after skeletonizing... I'll try to figure it out one of these days.

Also need to build a mechanism/extension to be able to release/unlock the third row seat back so it can lay down. Right now you have to climb onto the Hoffman box or crawl inside and reach over the seat to flip the release lever to lay the seatback down.

Seriously thinking about adding a drawer to the box and a drop down table top since it would be nice to be able to pull things out and have a place to set them.

Still looking for carpet to put on top of the box lid.

I have one unmounted strut (need to get a second) to help keep it open. Right now, we use a modified bungee strap/hook to hold it open when both barn doors are open (using the upper door loop).

For inside the box organization we use collapsible totes (Costco $8) and/or milk crates (thrift stores $3-5) to store gear in.

Note: The holes were there when I got it. I'm sure they were from conduit and electrical cables. Some day I might fill them in. Right now, I don't really care.

Back side (faces 3rd row seat) you can also see the bottom cut out.
View attachment 455972

Right side (left side is similar).
View attachment 455979

Front (as you look at it installed from the rear of the Suburban). At the far right side below the top of the box is the release lever for the 3rd row seat. It's hidden and not easy to lay the seat down. Mechanism coming.
View attachment 455974

Here is the inside with storage totes. You can also see the bungee hook holding it open (top center).
View attachment 455975

Closer look at storage and open floor.
View attachment 455980

You could take more metal out (lighten) if you layout a grid and take a 1/2" drill, for the legs, and larger holes for the top, then you likely only need one strut.

Jim SoG

"Portable propane fire pit made from a patio propane fire pit. I really thought the flames in the picture would give it away ;)

These came up in another thread. When ever someone mentioned a propane fire pit I always thought "that's dumb, just something else to carry, etc." But after camping next to someone with one I realized how nice they are. You don't have to move wood or find wood, you just flick the switch and have a fire, you don't end up smelling like smoke, and when your done you just turn it off and go to bed, no banking or dowsing needed. "

Also legal to us in Stage II Fire restrictions!

Jim

Mr. T

The best $80 I spent on a cooler that work great. Fits in the back of my Jeep and plugs into the lighter while traveling and at the camp I use a 110v AC to 12v DC converter. Keeps everything in it cold.

Attachments

• 673B3DE4-20F4-48E3-B937-25DE99797AE2.jpeg
    673B3DE4-20F4-48E3-B937-25DE99797AE2.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 62DC9C12-FE45-4000-AAFA-0AF3E78D82DD.jpeg
    62DC9C12-FE45-4000-AAFA-0AF3E78D82DD.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 163
  • CECF1BDD-1AEF-4876-8801-2C85A0F31BA1.jpeg
    CECF1BDD-1AEF-4876-8801-2C85A0F31BA1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
  • FBCA3193-6513-407E-941A-4E46EF289F56.jpeg
    FBCA3193-6513-407E-941A-4E46EF289F56.jpeg