Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

robert

Expedition Leader
Mine's held up well so far- I've accidentally cut the cord (easy fix with electrician's tape), left it on fast freeze longer than it says to, bounced it around in the back of my truck when the hold down came loose, etc. The only problem I've had is breaking two of the hard plastic feet; I plan to put replace them with rubber feet when I get around to it. So far I'm impressed with it for the price.

DaJudge

Explorer
Received mine yesterday. It was double boxed and in perfect shape. It is currently running in my living room. The 12v end, as already mentioned, is garbage but that is an easy fix. It will a get a work out in a couple of weeks so I will post my real world use experience after that.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Just recieved mine :wings: Double boxed also. No visible damage. Its cooling down as i type this. I am very pleased with the look and feel of the unit so far. Appears to be better quality than I anticipated.
Very happy so far!

57 degrees to 37 degrees in an hour and a half!

Last edited:

atm76039

FedEx lost my fridge! Compact Appliance is waiting on FedEx to confirm the order is lost then they are shipping out a new one.

But the good news is that when I checked on my order, I saw that the price had dropped as DaJudge mentioned. I asked the phone rep about the price difference and he quickly refunded $69.70 to my credit card. I was shocked! Great customer service. Not a bad buy for $448.50 :)

Update: as of today, Compact Appliance still has not shipped my fridge. They keep sending me tracking numbers, but they never actually give FedEx possession of the box.

I just called FedEx and they have record of all the tracking labels being created by CA, but they have never actually picked anything up... even from the first order that CA said they "lost." Very interesting, CA said it originally went out on Nov 16th, especially when others are getting there's delivered since then.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I had a similar experience with them when I needed a new power cord. They replaced it no questions asked. Had a traking number that same day. Followed it all the way to the UPS facility not 10 miles from my house. The day of supposed delivery it said "out for delivery". I waited 3 more days before contacting UPS. It never said anything other than out for delivery. After UPS put a ping out for the package, it was found the next day in Poughkeepsie, NY. took 3 more days to come from NY to WA...but I got my free power cord dangit!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I ordered my "open box" 43qt. EdgeStar from Compact Appliance 12/2 for $314 shipped, and received a notification on 12/3 that it has shipped. I'm anxious to see what condition it's in when it arrives!

Project510

Adventurer
My Fridge was delivered 2 days early! Good thing I was home! It was scheduled for Monday, but it randomly showed up today.

First impressions were great, looks awesome, I did notice that the handles on the sides appear different than the photos online. Looks as tho they ditched the metal handles for some beefy plastic ones. Feels good on your hand, so this should be a good thing.

Packaging was ok, they do double box it, but only put padding on the corners outside of the first box, so during transit the fridge moves a bit in the inner box and shows some ware from rubbing. Nothing to make a fuss over but just being specific. There is one scratch by the latch, which I will assume is during assembly.

Electronics seems ok now, I had a issue with the set temp feature, but it may have been my error. I plugged it in, pressed and held the set button til it flashed set to my temp and hit the button again. the temp then began to drop.. and drop.. til it reached -3 which was waaaaaaaaay below the temp I selected (40). I tried it again, and selected my temp, it began to flash, I left it alone and THAT set the temp.. its now creeping up to my desired temp.

So all in all I would say 7/10 technically 8 cuz of hte price but well see how she performs in Mojave in the back seat haha!

1114460315_TWZok-L.jpg

1114460335_SRsGp-L.jpg

1114460367_WpgXf-L.jpg

1114460397_e4aHj-L.jpg

rubberduck

Observer
I received mine and all is good.
Can you use these year round? It seems that some never remove them from the vehicle which is my plan. The booklet says something about not using it under 40 degrees. Anyone have issues doing this?

thanks
Jeremy

atm76039

Update: as of today, Compact Appliance still has not shipped my fridge. They keep sending me tracking numbers, but they never actually give FedEx possession of the box.

I just called FedEx and they have record of all the tracking labels being created by CA, but they have never actually picked anything up... even from the first order that CA said they "lost." Very interesting, CA said it originally went out on Nov 16th, especially when others are getting there's delivered since then.

Update: (again)
CA has created a new order and tacking number, rather than just a tracking number. Also, the refund for the discounted price hadn't showen up in the last 2 weeks, so they processed the credit for $70 again.

The people in the customer service department are really pretty great and they say they are taking care of things, but it's been nearly a month now since I placed my order. Each time I speak with them they say the fridge is in stock and will ship that day... Good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get this before a trip. I did receive the free 6 bottle wine fridge which shipped out the the first day I placed the order.

Even with the problems they are having, I still like the company (for some reason?) and would still do business with them again, I understand weird things can happen. However, my feelings will change if this keeps up, now that they have created a new order and starting over we'll see if they can get it right.

wyorunner

Observer
Our fridge has arrived at my In-laws and is waiting patient pickup by my wife, who will be going down there on Christmas. SO EXCITED!!! Cant wait to use it.

Project510

Adventurer
Well its been running in the bedroom for 3 days now. Its super quiet, keeping my drinks cold.. and seems to be working jsut fine!

Only issue, which was already mentioned, is even tho you set a desired temp.. its usually a few degrees off.

Example:

Temp set at 42 - but compressor turns on at 43, and cools down to 38 so make sure you give a little room for this.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
this looks like a good little unit. I am curious to how and where i would mount this in a 1999 Ford F250 Extended cab. Probably in the bed under my cap.....

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I received my EdgeStar yesterday. CA didn't do a good job of packaging it; they simply put the (very good) Edgestar box loose into a larger, thin-wall outside box. FedEx delivered it literally falling out of the outside box, which was wet from the rain and turned to mush. I was really afraid of what I'd find when I opened it up.

It turns out, the quality of the EdgeStar packaging did a good job of protecting the freezer. It looks like new, in spite of being an "open box" unit that has clearly been shipped (poorly) to customers more than once. I plugged it in and it fired right up. Flash Freeze took it down to temp very quickly, and the regular mode keeps a nice stable temp wherever I set it.

I am extremely pleased with this freezer, as I have several years of use out of my thermoelectric cooler and it's time for something new and better.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I received my EdgeStar yesterday. CA didn't do a good job of packaging it; they simply put the (very good) Edgestar box loose into a larger, thin-wall outside box. FedEx delivered it literally falling out of the outside box, which was wet from the rain and turned to mush. I was really afraid of what I'd find when I opened it up.

It turns out, the quality of the EdgeStar packaging did a good job of protecting the freezer. It looks like new, in spite of being an "open box" unit that has clearly been shipped (poorly) to customers more than once. I plugged it in and it fired right up. Flash Freeze took it down to temp very quickly, and the regular mode keeps a nice stable temp wherever I set it.

I am extremely pleased with this freezer, as I have several years of use out of my thermoelectric cooler and it's time for something new and better.

now I may sound stupid, but is this like a normal fridge/freezer where you should let it sit for 24 hours after its been tipped over and possibly on its side due to the oil in the motor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles