Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My "open box" came today . . .with a big dent and non-functioning.

I'm not too concerned about the dent. It seems to be getting intermittent power from both the 12v and 110v. I didn't have time to look at the connections but plan to troubleshoot it when I get home. Wiggling the cords interrupts the power, so it's likely a loose connection. Hopefully I can fix it myself.

The 43Qt is definitely bigger than I expected externally.

EDIT: Fridge is up and running. I had a combination of two problems. Like many, a couple of the screws on the internal terminal strip were loose. Tightening those seems to have cured the 110V issues and the intermittent power issue.

The 12V issue is on me. I was using a desktop 3A cigarette plug power supply that I am guessing isn't really 3A. Voltage would stay above 12V, but the compressor would turn off after a couple seconds (the display would still be lit and there would not be a low voltage light). When powering directly to a battery or to the 12V plugs in the Landcruiser it seems to be working fine. But the 12V Edgestar plug to my West Marine outlets are not a reliable fit. I will definitely have to make a more reliable connection.

I can live with the dents and scratches as long as the fridge works. So far so good.

Last edited:

TurboChris

Adventurer
I got mine almost a week ago...I plugged it in in my office and figured I'd leave it running for a week just to make sure it functions properly. So far so good. I guess I should open it up and make sure all the connection are nice and tight before subjecting it to off roading in the back of my truck. I highly recommend upgrading your plug and receptacle to marine grade locking versions. I ordered these and just upgraded in my suburban...what a difference! And not very expensive.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5Y/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket 12 VDC: Electronics: Reviews, Prices &amp; more[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5O/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Marine Grade Locking Cigarette Lighter Plug 12 VDC: Electronics: Reviews, Prices &amp; more[/ame]

drabnor

so what would make a better dust cover than... a dust cover!

we have these covers on our computers here at work
http://dirtbag.biz/index.php

trimmed one down and now i have a replaceable dirt filter for the vents. attached the hook end of some velcro to the fridge and viola. the magnet sheets fit inside the velcro so if it gets really nasty i can still seal it up completely

vent2.jpg

ventm.jpg

also whipped up a cover out of an old car sunshade, attached with velcro
coveros.jpg

atm76039

Just ordered the Edgestar 43 qt.
3 year warranty $49
free shipping
15% site wide holiday discount
no tax (shipped out of texas)
coupon code HOLIDAY2010 = free 6 bottle wine cooler ($117 value)

total price out the door: $518.20

I don't want the wine cooler but it'll make a great Christmas gift. I'm pretty happy about the order. If you take out the cost of the wine cooler, I got the new Edgestar for $350 + $40 Warranty. Not too bad.

DaJudge

Explorer
Compact Appliance has them on sale for 399.00 again. Just picked one up with the 3 year warranty for 448.00 shipped!

I am looking forward to being freed from bags of ice!

atm76039

Just ordered the Edgestar 43 qt.
3 year warranty $49
free shipping
15% site wide holiday discount
no tax (shipped out of texas)
coupon code HOLIDAY2010 = free 6 bottle wine cooler ($117 value)

total price out the door: $518.20

I don't want the wine cooler but it'll make a great Christmas gift. I'm pretty happy about the order. If you take out the cost of the wine cooler, I got the new Edgestar for $350 + $40 Warranty. Not too bad.

FedEx lost my fridge! Compact Appliance is waiting on FedEx to confirm the order is lost then they are shipping out a new one.

But the good news is that when I checked on my order, I saw that the price had dropped as DaJudge mentioned. I asked the phone rep about the price difference and he quickly refunded $69.70 to my credit card. I was shocked! Great customer service. Not a bad buy for $448.50 :)

DaJudge

Explorer
FedEx lost my fridge! Compact Appliance is waiting on FedEx to confirm the order is lost then they are shipping out a new one.

But the good news is that when I checked on my order, I saw that the price had dropped as DaJudge mentioned. I asked the phone rep about the price difference and he quickly refunded $69.70 to my credit card. I was shocked! Great customer service. Not a bad buy for $448.50 :)

Sorry your fridge was lost but I am glad they gave you the sale price!

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Man - I should have complained about mine! It's running fine now, but I think it would be running even better if it was free :Wow1:

I also added the locking 12V plug and outlet.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Now for Fed Ex! They have a bad reputation of destroying anything that weighs more then a pound. Everything they process is put on a conveyor belt. It is rolled about and dropped. This is from the Fed Ex driver himself.

Strange, in my industry we consider Fed Ex to be the better handler. Before our products hit the stores, they actually go through a "UPS test"... (among many other tests).

Sorry to hear about your bad luck - or congrats on the good luck... depending on how to you look at it.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
My turn...

Well,
Finally got to get my grubby hands on mine. They sure do box the snot out of these things...though it doesn't seem to have helped. Or at least the scratch/dent was there before packing it? Not sure but it is dented beyond a doubt! haha. It does work though so do I complain? Nah. I plugged it in and it fired right up and the temp started dropping right away. After just about 15 min it was at zero and still going. Had to unplug it to get stuff situated in my cramped room so I will be checking it in the Jeep next...stay tuned.

wyorunner

Observer
My wife and I are getting a 43qt for Christmas.. WOO HOO!!! Looking forward to no more ice. Only thing that kind of sucks, I dont get to play with it until maybe January sometime. (im in a-stan) Thanks to everyone over the last year and a half who bought these and reviewed them. I read the whole thread and it pretty much sealed the deal, even with the mishaps. I believe we will get our moneys worth.

Project510

Adventurer
Just ordered a new 43qt yesterday, $376 shipped... after reading this entire thread, I may call and ask if I can add a 2 year extended warrenty. Pretty excited about getting it. Will deff upgrade the plugs, and I see some nice ideas about mounting it.

My main concern is that I dont plan on using it 24/7. Is it really bad for the unit if it were to be stored unplugged back in the box when not in use? I mean I only make it out on trips maybe 2-3 times a year, and since I am currently in an apt.. I have no garage to put it in.

Last edited:

partsflyin

Adventurer
GF and I pulled the trigger on one yesterday. I like everyone else have read and reread this thread. Thanks everyone for the insight, mine to come soon!

zukrider

Explorer
83qt for sale. i got mine march of 2010. for my truck which is now gone. so, im gonna pass it on to someone that will be able to use it. i have not looked into shipping, so that will need looked into.

has a few small scratches from being in the truck and going camping. also, the 12 volt plug plunger popped out on me. is working fine, thought you should know.

$500 obo once i find the paperwork, i did get the 5 yr warrenty and will pass it on with the purchase

Xterabl

Adventurer
I have no garage to put it in.

Living room beer cooler...so, no need to get up & walk to the kitchen. Can convince the wife by allowing it to double as a coffee table.

There's another thread in this forum about the subject of intermittent use...try searching, I guess. I recall there are varying opinions as to how detrimental it is to not run it for extended periods of times. I very often go a month or two without using my 43qt, then it starts up just fine when I do put it to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles