Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

In addition to my post above about truck wiring, I'll agree here, too. I actually went with a soldered connection, but the PowerPoles would work great, too! (Makes me think about revising my design, actually!)

In any event, I'd recommend an enhancement here, as well.

I did not like the 12v plug on the back of the fridge. tye are cheap and break easily. I replaced with a powerpole connector. These are some of the highest rated connectors on the market. I have some that have been in use for over 15 years and still work. You can pick up powerpole connectors at your nearest hobby shop.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/singlepole-connectors.html

kenallwine

Adventurer
Our worked great this past weekend in the wrangler on its maiden voyage. I did however immediately replace the plug and added the locking socket. I probably will not stay with this solution at the connection is pretty bulky. The fridge itself though kept everything nice and cool at 37°F all day on a sunny 95° day.

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
got mine and I have to say its good....

For the price and free shipping , I dont think you can beat it. I went back and forth trying to figure out if this was worth it or not. I love mine, I use it not only camping but as a party fridge for extra beer.

Plus it fits pretty good in ..... a 100s land cruiser...

DSC05011.JPG

It has a great LED temp gauge on the out side so you know how cold you are. I have tested it all day on a truck battery got 6 hours on, The unit has a built in meter so it will quit working before it runs your battery out. It also wont work in a outlet that does not draw 12v. I think so far so good, you do have to watch the plug and make sure it does not bang up on something. I have even run it in the bed plug of the new Tacoma worked great.

The bad however is fully loaded with beer and food , its dam heavy....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Does anybody know, is the evaporator section built into one specific wall of the fridge? I've got a 63qt on order, and I'm wondering if it's possible to make it dual-zone freezer/fridge by simply installing a wall of some sort between the section with the evaporator, and the section without. Or do the cooling coils go all the way around the tub? You know the way the little bar fridges work, the "freezer" section is simply a box built around the cooling coils.

lexwoody

Adventurer
With the Vegas summer heat in the low hundreds every day. I have my fridge running 24/7. The fridges gets hot from what I can feel from the cool vents. Does any one see a problem with installing a aux fan? Pushing or pulling?

Xterabl

Adventurer
I'm researching making a freezer compartment in my 43qt. I've been using cut cardboard and duct tape to make various false walls and channels.
With an IR thermometer, I've been able to determine that the evaporator goes all the way around the box and is located near the top, but it is not very tall/wide. That is, when the compressor is on, the coldest temperatures registered (around 10 or less degrees F) begin about 3/4" or 1" below the top of the fridge, and continue for about 3-4 inches; then temperatures rapidly climb into the teen/twenties as I scan the thermometer beam further towards the bottom...beginning about 4-5 inches from the top of the aluminum side panel.
So, I believe the evaporator is a 3-4" wide band going all the way around the fridge, placed with it's top edge roughly 1" below the top edge.
My constructions with cardboard have implemented channels that trap this air and dump it into my cardboard freezer compartment; I've gotten temps below 14 degrees F at the end of a compressor cycle, but then it warms up to 30-34 degrees during the compressor off time. Insulation is key, between the freezer compartment and fridge.
If I am successful with my new PVC foam material and PVC channel that has just arrived, I'll make a new post out of it.

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
That is great info. Thanks.
With an IR thermometer, we could probably characterize all the different fridge types.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I just returned from my first trip with my 63qt. It worked well, although sucked quite a bit of juice in the Texas heat.

I'll never go back to coolers! :)

gpwpat

Adventurer
I love mine especially at the price I paid for it.

Not a good review in this months OJ.

we need to start a modifications page for this fridge, so we can share how we made our cheap fridge better.

so far

I switched out the cheap 12 Plug. both in the fridge and on the cord, made a slide, and next I will build a basket divider.

what else do we need? better insulation, a cover, better tie down locations or strong handles, interior light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94