Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

docsimple

Observer
dang might not get it

I ordered the same deal. Says they only had one so you probably sealed that one. Hopefully I'm wrong. Been shopping fridges for a while and thats a great price!

slooowr6

Explorer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142327697278

Max-Burton-37-Qrt-Portable-12-volt-Fridge-Freezer-Special-Purchase - $295 shipped

Has anyone seen these? Any idea how they compare to Edgestar/etc? I do like that it appears to have separate fridge/freezer compartments, but the fridge compartment seems unusably tiny.

Mine arrived today. Build is good enough for me, nothing loose and fit is good. Come with 120v to 12v transformer. Initial test using the 120v adapter it draws 50w (shows on my kill-a-watt) when running and took 20 mins to cool down from 54 degree to 32 degree. After it cools down to 32 degree it has been 35 minutes in my 69 degree family room and the compress has not kick in yet and my thermometer is showing 34 degree. Not bad for what I paid.

docsimple

Observer
after a vast amount of waffling and reading I decided Im poor so I ordered a Max Burton 53 qt. Reviews around the web seem happy so Im hoping it comes before the end off the month when we head for Wyoming. Price was $412 off Amazon. No a prime product but in the past if I had issues with a product Amazon has jumped in and helped so here's hoping its all good :)

docsimple

Observer
received the Max Burton. Seems solid, I prefer plastic unless the metal is thick. More bounce, less crimp. The cable situation is terrible, need to replace it ASAP. Anyone know where an alternative cable that fits this socket style can be obtained?

Tested the cooling and was sure it was not working as I could barely hear it but after 20 minutes the empty cooler went from 17 C to -0.2 C. Will be tasking it to Wyoming through Montana next week so can give a better assessment than. Will be running it off a 35AH battery with a 100 watt solar panel. I think the weak spot will be the battery. I'm open to suggestions on battery size/style for the fridge if someone has some experience with a similar setup.

XJINTX

Explorer
QUICK QUESTION for those with Edgestar refrigerators:
I have a probably easy, for you all, technical question. I have a 63 qrt AC / DC refrigerator for my camping. I recently purchased a little off road trailer that will support the refrigerator. It has dual batteries to run refrigerator while traveling and at remote campsites. It also has the hookup for shore power 110 Vac.

I know my refrigerator runs well off of either. My question is: Do I need to plug and unglug the Ac or DC cords depending on what I use? Is the system smart enough to leave both plugged in and it will automatically switch to use AC when on shore power?

I can plug and unplug but a friend with same setup but different brand refrigerator does not need to and he keeps both hooked up. THANKS!!!

MarcoPolo

After 8 years, my fridge F630 stopped cooling. Finally, had a chance to investigate problem. The evaporator coil behind aluminum sheeting had corroded and leaked refrigerant. During tear-down, I found out the condenser circuit includes a loop around front and left side touching exterior sheet metal for added cooling. Those with insulated covers might have better cooling with cover off. I will post a picture later, when I remove all insulation. Note: my insulation was hard/brittle/ waterlogged and damp in places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94