Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

pods8

Explorer
Yeah; the review is disingenuous, at best. I love the quote about money is no object if it justifies the cost--basically the review concludes that expensive stuff is good (IOW you get what you pay for) -- yeah well duh if I had the money I'd actually buy that fridge that's even better than the $1500 Nat. Luna -- you know, that one that costs about $5294???...I mean, why didn't they review that one???
Frankly I was expecting a lot more. And too bad they were reviewing a "$650" (whatever!) Whynter and not my $350 Edgestar, which probably would've won the "best value" prize. Seriously, I think the average price people have paid for their Edgestars here on Expiditionportal is probably around $425. Consider, they list the Engel as $805 and the ARB at $855...and I'm pretty sure they can't ever be found for $575 or $625, respectively.
Some other crazy stuff from the review...they claim their Whynter had a Danfoss BD35F compressor; while most likely it's a chinese knock-off that uses twice the amperage for the same compressor RPM like in my Edgestar (if not, I'm VERY curious if all Whynter's have the Danfoss, or just the one they reviewed (which would be very odd)). Hence the higher power consumption is most likely not just due to inadequate insulation but also reflects the less efficient (and less expensive) compressor.
Oh, and check out this dandy quote about the Whynter's battery protection: "No voltage cutout is built in, though the manual states that the fridge will switch off at 10.4VDC." Frankly, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Shutting off at 10.4V IS a voltage cutout, as far as I can tell. My Edgestar perfectly protects the battery by shutting of the fridge when battery voltage is too low (10.4V); and then restarting it when battery shows >11.5V. If their fridge didn't function properly with this feature, they should have said so; as it stands their statement quoted is extremely ambiguous and confusing.
And lastly, they list the refrigerant for all fridges tested as R-136A....should be R-134A. Not a big deal, but exhibits lack of attention to detail and does not instill confidence.
Overally, a bit of a letdown. But, then again, comparing this review to my personal experience...maybe the Whynters and Edgestars really AREN'T identical fridges; in which case, I look forward to the next fridge review that includes the Edgestar. :)

This is an old quote but I was just making my way through this thread. I haven't read the review but if the cutout is really 10.4V I'd concur with them that there really isn't battery protection. The fridge cutting out when your battery is DEAD isn't what I'd call protection... A user adjustable in the 11.5-12V range would be the best for real protection so there is still some juice left in there.

I get the feeling reading this thread too many folks don't under stand battery life cycles based on draw down, voltage drop in undersized lines, etc. Battery life cycles are on a curve, the farther down you draw a battery the less times you can do it before it dies (in the case of a starting battery this can be as little as 20 times!), deep cycles are better suited for it but you'll get much more life out of them if only drawing down to 50% (30% is still way better that totally discharging if you don't want to carry the extra capacity your uses might require). The voltage drop part has been mentioned already but people still keep reporting "issues with the fridge" when they are just plugging the thing into a vehicle accessory jack meant to power cell phone charges and such. You need to properly wire for a larger amp draw, as mentioned, before starting to point fingers at whatever manufacturer's fridge you select.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I finally pulled the trigger and got the 43 quart with a three year warranty for $360. I know my wife will be mad but thinking the fist time we use it she will be convinced.

Xterabl

Adventurer
In my experience, the Edgestar actually shuts off when my battery is more like 11.3 V. The theory (stated by many on the forum) is that when the compressor kicks in there is a momentary high current draw and voltage draw down, which causes the compressor to "see" a lower voltage (i.e. the specified 10.4V) when actual battery voltage is higher...and the strength of this effect also depends on length and gauge of the wire to battery.

atm76039

Update: (again)
CA has created a new order and tacking number, rather than just a tracking number. Also, the refund for the discounted price hadn't showen up in the last 2 weeks, so they processed the credit for $70 again.

The people in the customer service department are really pretty great and they say they are taking care of things, but it's been nearly a month now since I placed my order. Each time I speak with them they say the fridge is in stock and will ship that day... Good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get this before a trip. I did receive the free 6 bottle wine fridge which shipped out the the first day I placed the order.

Even with the problems they are having, I still like the company (for some reason?) and would still do business with them again, I understand weird things can happen. However, my feelings will change if this keeps up, now that they have created a new order and starting over we'll see if they can get it right.

Update:
The fridge finally made it to my door! It is in perfect condition and functions like others have described. When set at 39, bounces from 40 down to 33, not that bad. I would say it's little louder than I expected. Not by a lot, and won't matter when the Jeep is running, but sitting in the house it is much louder than some have described "as loud as a desk top computer." But again, not that big of a deal. Should be going on it's first test run this weekend.

pods8

Explorer
In my experience, the Edgestar actually shuts off when my battery is more like 11.3 V. The theory (stated by many on the forum) is that when the compressor kicks in there is a momentary high current draw and voltage draw down, which causes the compressor to "see" a lower voltage (i.e. the specified 10.4V) when actual battery voltage is higher...and the strength of this effect also depends on length and gauge of the wire to battery.

11.3V is basically a dead battery though (~10% charge at 70ish degrees) so I still wouldn't consider that to be protecting anything. Doing that on a deep cycle battery gives you 1/4 the life as opposed to only drawing down to 50% (~12-12.1V). Doing that repeatedly on a starting battery is a quick way to needing to buy a new one (and that isn't because they are "cheap" batteries, its because they aren't designed to deep cycle). If you already know all this sorry for the redundancy but I'm thinking a few readers probably don't realize this. :coffeedrink:

Strizzo

Explorer
well, the handle broke on one side of mine, its still attached, just won't snap back down like it should, and the 12v plug is having some issues, as the fridge turns on for a moment, but when the compressor tries to kick on it cuts off. i called edgestar about it and talked to someone who said i would have to send it to them and pay the $70 labor fee since i am out of the labor warranty (90 days), but they would pay for any parts (parts warranty is 1 year). i had to call back later to give them my serial # and when i did, the person i spoke with said they would just go ahead and give a full refund on the fridge and if i wanted to, i could purchase parts from them and have it repaired locally. this was fine with me as it works fine when plugged into the wall in the house, so it might just end up as the living room beer fridge or something. i still need to do some further testing to see if the problem with the 12v is the plug in the truck, or the fridge plug.

pods8

Explorer
well, the handle broke on one side of mine, its still attached, just won't snap back down like it should, and the 12v plug is having some issues, as the fridge turns on for a moment, but when the compressor tries to kick on it cuts off. i called edgestar about it and talked to someone who said i would have to send it to them and pay the $70 labor fee since i am out of the labor warranty (90 days), but they would pay for any parts (parts warranty is 1 year). i had to call back later to give them my serial # and when i did, the person i spoke with said they would just go ahead and give a full refund on the fridge and if i wanted to, i could purchase parts from them and have it repaired locally. this was fine with me as it works fine when plugged into the wall in the house, so it might just end up as the living room beer fridge or something. i still need to do some further testing to see if the problem with the 12v is the plug in the truck, or the fridge plug.

So you called to say there is a problem with their product and are accepting a full refund w/o even determining the fault is actually with their product?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the 12v plug is having some issues, as the fridge turns on for a moment, but when the compressor tries to kick on it cuts off.

classic symptom of undersized wire or low battery (new install) since your fridge has been working just fine i'd say your problem may be a weak battery rather than the fridge or its plug.

Last edited:

Strizzo

Explorer
no, the fridge has worked OK, but not great since i got it. i called back in June about it but the person i talked to told me to do some other stuff and call back, but didn't bother to make the note in my account, basically screwing me out of the parts and labor warranty to begin with. i was willing to ship it to them and pay the $70 labor fee in order to have a working fridge, but when i called back to arrange that, they said that they would rather issue a full refund because shipping and paying for labor would have ended up costing me too much money.

it has been plugged into the same outlet in the truck and run off the battery alone and while the truck is running. it has had issues from day one with not being able to stay cool when the unit is in direct sunlight. i worked around that by bungeeing a windshield sunshade over it when its in the back of the truck. the handle breaking and the 12v plug not working was simply the final straw.

the battery is fine, it starts the truck with no problems every time, the battery is not the issue, i've had it tested plenty of times. i know that nissans are notorious for weak batteries, but this one seems to be holding its own. it was only a year past the original sale date of the truck in october.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
gotcha,,, well they are an inexpensive fridge so i guess it was worth a try and not a total loss.

guess i'm one of the lucky ones, i had to do a little improving on the electrics, and to this day it will shutdown right after startup just like yours if i let it sit long enough, but in my case its the battery not the fridge.

pods8

Explorer
no, the fridge has worked OK, but not great since i got it. i called back in June about it but the person i talked to told me to do some other stuff and call back, but didn't bother to make the note in my account, basically screwing me out of the parts and labor warranty to begin with. i was willing to ship it to them and pay the $70 labor fee in order to have a working fridge, but when i called back to arrange that, they said that they would rather issue a full refund because shipping and paying for labor would have ended up costing me too much money.

it has been plugged into the same outlet in the truck and run off the battery alone and while the truck is running. it has had issues from day one with not being able to stay cool when the unit is in direct sunlight. i worked around that by bungeeing a windshield sunshade over it when its in the back of the truck. the handle breaking and the 12v plug not working was simply the final straw.

the battery is fine, it starts the truck with no problems every time, the battery is not the issue, i've had it tested plenty of times. i know that nissans are notorious for weak batteries, but this one seems to be holding its own. it was only a year past the original sale date of the truck in october.

Has this been the only plug you're tried though? If the wire size to the plug isn't enough for the amps you're going to see a big voltage drop and the thing will always trip off due to low amps. You mentioned it works inside, does it have the same cooling issues inside or does it cool just fine? If its been cooling just fine inside I'd really be looking at your wiring because before it might have been barely getting enough voltage from the plug, but enough to not quite trip, and thus it was running underpowered.

Strizzo

Explorer
Has this been the only plug you're tried though? If the wire size to the plug isn't enough for the amps you're going to see a big voltage drop and the thing will always trip off due to low amps. You mentioned it works inside, does it have the same cooling issues inside or does it cool just fine? If its been cooling just fine inside I'd really be looking at your wiring because before it might have been barely getting enough voltage from the plug, but enough to not quite trip, and thus it was running underpowered.
it only has problems staying cool in direct sunlight. i've had it plugged in running on a/c in the house, as well as in the garage in the summer after two cars get home, so 110+F in there with two cars cooling down. i've run it from 85 down to 30 off of just the battery, its stayed in the truck in the parking garage at work all day and not had a problem running off that outlet.

numerous trips down to the beach before i started using the sunshade, it would be at 35 degrees when i left, then climb up to 55 or 60, then on the way home with the sun setting, drops back down to 35 again. i am going to hook it up directly to the battery to see if the factory plug or my outlet in the truck is the reason its not firing up like it should.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Got mine today and it seems to be running fine on the house power I will try out the jeep power later this week. I want to try out a new plug first since I know it Is a need to do upgrade.

LostDelta

Just got my grubby hands on one, (used, so I knew this going in)

The 110 doesn't work, I opened everything up and checked every wire, cleaned everything and tightened everything down. I compared my wiring layout to a picture of one online (Link) and everything is where is should be (unless the picture is wrong)

The odd thing is that when I unplug it, about 4, 5 seconds after its unplugged the screen will flash and the run light will blink on. So it seems that there is residual power staying inside.

I have read through the entire thread, and I didn't think I saw anything like this (granted it was 2 am when I was reading so I could have missed something) but I was wondering if any of you wise folks had any ideas that I could try next.

Its not that big of deal because on 12 volt it works like a champ :victory: But if a little elbow grease will get this work 100 percent, I am willing to give it a shot.

Matt--

Strizzo

Explorer
Just got my grubby hands on one, (used, so I knew this going in)

The 110 doesn't work, I opened everything up and checked every wire, cleaned everything and tightened everything down. I compared my wiring layout to a picture of one online (Link) and everything is where is should be (unless the picture is wrong)

The odd thing is that when I unplug it, about 4, 5 seconds after its unplugged the screen will flash and the run light will blink on. So it seems that there is residual power staying inside.

I have read through the entire thread, and I didn't think I saw anything like this (granted it was 2 am when I was reading so I could have missed something) but I was wondering if any of you wise folks had any ideas that I could try next.

Its not that big of deal because on 12 volt it works like a champ :victory: But if a little elbow grease will get this work 100 percent, I am willing to give it a shot.

Matt--
sounds like the converter might be bad in yours, unless there is a hidden fuse somewhere that might have blown. if you can find another 12v power supply that would fit in there, you might be able to make it work. or, you might be able to find an external one, and pull the factory one out to save a bit of weight, then you'd just plug the 12v socket into your home converter when the fridge isn't in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz