Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

saw that and called

this scared me off

Each unit is a fully functional return item with severe external cosmetic damage to all panels of the unit. All products have been tested for quality assurance. Please note we are unable to provide photos and further details related to the specific damage of each unit. All "Scratch & Dent" units include the original manufacturer’s warranty but are not eligible for a "buyer’s remorse" return.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I just ordered the 43qt "Open Box" for about $340 a couple days ago (since they backordered the 63 qt). It's actually already shipped so it looks like I may actually get it this time. It looks like they're out of the open box ones at the moment.

I don't think I would care about cosmetic issues since it is likely to get beat up a bit and you can always buy a cover. But I think the "open box" is probably a better deal since it's only a few bucks more. But if I'm not mistaken, some members here have bought the scratch and dent ones and the damage was EXTREMELY minimal.

They currently have open box Engels available too, but the 63qt is $999 and the 34Qt is $699. :Wow1:

Given most folks' experience with the Edgestars, $340 for a 43qt seems like a pretty good deal to me - especially with the current free shipping deal.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I just got my 86 qt, and have been brainstorming ways to get it weatherproof, as it has to go in the "bed" of my tacoma, absolutly won't fit in the extra cab.

First thought is to build an aluminum box for it, with access doors over the fridge vents that would normally be left open, only to be closed while travleing through rain/mud/extreme dust/silt. This will be expensive considering the cost of aluminum, the cost of hinges and latches not to mention I would have to buy a bottle of 100% argon and the aluminum welding wire and would eat up a lot of time...

Then it hit me, why not use those magnetic sheets to cover up the vents, only when traveling through adverse conditions, only with the fridge off. I'd seal up all the other seams on the fridge with silicone.

http://www.staples.com/Avery-Person...product_46771?cmArea=SC1:CG10:DP3720:CL141391

It should stay cold enough with items inside for a few hours at the very least, long enough to get to better running conditions thats for sure.

What you guys think?

That would work great! I just grabbed a roll of magnet paper and it covers great!

To expand on your idea w/something I've been thinking of...take some stronger magnets and make an 'airbox' that attaches to the vents, with an opening where an automotive air filter sits...then you could run the fridge in dusty (but not wet) conditions...

drabnor

That would work great! I just grabbed a roll of magnet paper and it covers great!

To expand on your idea w/something I've been thinking of...take some stronger magnets and make an 'airbox' that attaches to the vents, with an opening where an automotive air filter sits...then you could run the fridge in dusty (but not wet) conditions...

First test failed. The magnet in the printable sheet from staples isn't strong enough and the paper is too thin so the edge curled and the sheet fell off.

You'd have to make 3 of those "airboxes" one for each vent...

Just got off the phone with our local sign shop, they have a magnet sheet that should work much better than the printer magnets, will report back once I pick it up...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
First test failed. The magnet in the printable sheet from staples isn't strong enough and the paper is too thin so the edge curled and the sheet fell off.

You'd have to make 3 of those "airboxes" one for each vent...

Just got off the phone with our local sign shop, they have a magnet sheet that should work much better than the printer magnets, will report back once I pick it up...

Uh...why not just go look for a water proof "bag" or gas grill cover or something that could be pulled over it quick and easy? Make some kind of velcro vent deal that could allow exhaust out but no rain in? not sure about the dust issue...

RHINO

Expedition Leader
drabnor dont waste your money at the print shop,,, well not a waste but expensive,, go to home depot and get some made for covering ac vents in your home.

drabnor

drabnor dont waste your money at the print shop,,, well not a waste but expensive,, go to home depot and get some made for covering ac vents in your home.

got it for free :sombrero: cutting it up now, 1st impression is it's way thicker & sticky than the sheets from staples...

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
saw that and called

this scared me off

Each unit is a fully functional return item with severe external cosmetic damage to all panels of the unit. All products have been tested for quality assurance. Please note we are unable to provide photos and further details related to the specific damage of each unit. All "Scratch & Dent" units include the original manufacturer's warranty but are not eligible for a "buyer's remorse" return.

I jumped on the $329 scratch and dent deal that Friday night. Figured I'd take a chance...the anticipation was killing me. I live in the same city as Compact Appliance, not sure why I decided to wait on shipping (maybe because it was free shipping and I'm lazy?).

Showed up today, very well packaged. Plugged it in and I can't find any problems yet. It doesn't cool as fast as I figured it would, but it definitely gets the job done. Here's some pictures of the "severe external cosmetic damage to all panels of the unit". Sorry, it's from a camera phone. The damage is obviously nothing to cry about. Especially since I bumped and scratched it several times in the first hour I've had it. I figure they saved me some headache by taking the pristine perfectness away. :victory:

Hopefully the scratch & dent won't scare anyone out of a good deal on these fridges. FYI, they had a coupon code but I honestly can't remember what it was or how I got it...it basically popped up for me when I was checking out. I'd call upon checkout if they don't offer it.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
It doesn't cool as fast as I figured it would, but it definitely gets the job done.
In case you're curious...
When I first plugged the unit in (12v) it started @ 68 degrees. It took 50 minutes to reach 40 degrees. (keep in mind, this was with the fridge completely empty. It would be much faster fully stocked)

I then moved it inside, and plugged it in to 115v:
At 40 degrees, I put the fridge in the "fast freeze" mode. It took 1 hour & 15 minutes to reach -4 degrees...not fast, but I honestly don't see myself needing to quickly freeze anything in 15 minutes flat. I figure beer will get plenty cold, plenty fast and I will speed up the process by drinking the warmest ones first :sombrero:

The true test will be how it holds up during a Texas summer...

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Sounds like a good deal. I was pretty much thinking the same as you - that I would scratch it up fairly quickly anyway. Based upon earlier posts, that level of damage seems pretty typical and certainly something most people could live with.

Mine was supposed to be here today, but the FedEx tracking said there was "an exception" and it will be here tomorrow. Sure is nice to be able to give yourself an exception. I think I'll try that at work tomorrow and see how it goes.

Still wondering if I should have waited for another 63 qt to come up, but I think the 43 qt will be more than enough.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Still wondering if I should have waited for another 63 qt to come up, but I think the 43 qt will be more than enough.
After seeing how massive these suckers are, I think you're better off with the 43 qt unless you're feeding a boy scout troop, or the entire country of Somalia...if you had the 63 qt I'd be willing to bet eventually you'd wish you went smaller.

I feel the 43 qt is the best compromise between capacity & how much space it occupies in your rig. I even wish these Edgestar's came in something a little smaller like a 30 qt...but I'm somewhat of a minimalist...minimalist with a fridge?

Strizzo

Explorer
In case you're curious...
When I first plugged the unit in (12v) it started @ 68 degrees. It took 50 minutes to reach 40 degrees. (keep in mind, this was with the fridge completely empty. It would be much faster fully stocked)

I then moved it inside, and plugged it in to 115v:
At 40 degrees, I put the fridge in the "fast freeze" mode. It took 1 hour & 15 minutes to reach -4 degrees...not fast, but I honestly don't see myself needing to quickly freeze anything in 15 minutes flat. I figure beer will get plenty cold, plenty fast and I will speed up the process by drinking the warmest ones first :sombrero:

The true test will be how it holds up during a Texas summer...
mine acts similarly, at first i thought it was a defective unit, but it turns out that the grey color of the exterior doesn't reflect sunlight very well and in turn overcomes the cooling power of the compressor. it really could use a transit bag to help i've found that it works nearly perfectly fine with a windshield sunshade over the top and long sides and bungeed in place. before that, the compressor would run and run all day and the temp would slowly climb to around 55 degrees, and then once the sun went down, it would drop back down to the set temp. now, with the sunshade in place it doesn't have any more problems keeping to the set temp.

Xterabl

Adventurer
"...before that, the compressor would run and run all day and the temp would slowly climb to around 55 degrees..."

I assure you this is not the behavior of a properly function fridge. My Edgestar is more than capable of keeping below freezing temperatures in direct sunlight and high-heat environment...and definitely NOT with the compressor running nonstop. But if you've found a way around it, then good for you...it is probably better/cheaper than figuring out how to get it repaired.
Just thought I'd mention it, lest people get the wrong impression about how the Edgestar performs when working proper

Strizzo

Explorer
"...before that, the compressor would run and run all day and the temp would slowly climb to around 55 degrees..."

I assure you this is not the behavior of a properly function fridge. My Edgestar is more than capable of keeping below freezing temperatures in direct sunlight and high-heat environment...and definitely NOT with the compressor running nonstop. But if you've found a way around it, then good for you...it is probably better/cheaper than figuring out how to get it repaired.
Just thought I'd mention it, lest people get the wrong impression about how the Edgestar performs when working proper
well, before that i had run it in the garage with the heat of summer and both cars parked after work, and it held fine, 100+ degree heat, both on 12vdc and 120vac.

i think i may have had a bubble in the refridgerant or something, as it would only frost around the top edge above the compressor, but i had some water in the bottom and went to dump it out, and got a loud sound like dumping water out of a gallon jug. after that, it seems to run a bit better and cool quicker, but i haven't had it out to really test it yet. possibly this weekend and we'll see. i eventually plan on building a setup similar to the one Leary has for his 86qt., so the sunlight issue will hopefully be no longer anyways.

IMG_0600.jpg

drabnor

mine acts similarly, at first i thought it was a defective unit, but it turns out that the grey color of the exterior doesn't reflect sunlight very well and in turn overcomes the cooling power of the compressor. it really could use a transit bag to help i've found that it works nearly perfectly fine with a windshield sunshade over the top and long sides and bungeed in place. before that, the compressor would run and run all day and the temp would slowly climb to around 55 degrees, and then once the sun went down, it would drop back down to the set temp. now, with the sunshade in place it doesn't have any more problems keeping to the set temp.

yea you guys have something wrong, mine has no issues keeping the set temp in direct sunlight, even completely empty

truck3y.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior