Cheap awning(s) review

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bought a couple of these a while ago (price has gone up and now charging for shipping) and mounted them on both sides of the teardrop. I finally got some nasty weather and saw how they performed.

In a nutshell, not bad at all. I have them mounted using spin-bolts so I can loosen and slide them across the trailer roof. If you can see it in the photo, there wasn't much room on one side of the trailer --- so I slid it until it fit.

They stood up to pretty high winds and heavy rain just fine. I was a little concerned when I bought them but they seem to work as intended. Time will tell on the longevity factor though...

20201122_133913.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Check out this thread:

off-brand awnings? | Page 2 | Expedition Portal

This is the awning I'm using: Car Tent Awning Rooftop SUV Truck Camping Travel Shelter Outdoor Sunshade Canopy | eBay

$115 for a 6.6' x 8.2' awning in gray. So far it has held up well.

They are a pain to set-up by yourself (worse if it is windy), but I'm sure they all since they're all pretty much all designed about the same. If the weather is going to be wet, I'll put one front corner lower than the other so water will drain to that corner and off the canopy (to keep it from pooling).

canopy.25.jpg

Last edited:

llamalander

I'm using something like this too, free to me, so worth the work.
Much easier to set up with 2 people. Instructions say limit to 10mph winds or less, it can take quite a bit more properly tied down.
The straps make a bit of noise in the wind if you don't stow them, and without being able to describe it, the awning makes pretty distinct drum sounds when it is near its limit.
My feeling is that with any possibility of wind, I think I would want nearly any awning staked-down if it lessens the risk of breakage in a stray gust. The fact that these require it doesn't seem like a big problem.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94