Chaser water pump

Bergger

Explorer
Well my girlfriend and I went out over Thanksgiving weekend with the Chaser and had a great time. However it got down to 10 degrees the first night and 16 the second. The water pump did freeze up. Well I just realized it was leaking really bad, unusable, so I figured something inside broke. However the entire base of it cracked. I actually thought the pump was made out of metal but now I know it is not. Does anyone have a good replacement idea? I hesitate using the same pump as I do not want it to break again. Living in CO cold weather is very common year round. The same pump made out of metal would be nice as it would fit in the existing hole.

ddog45

Adventurer
I have been un happy with my pump on my chaser since the day I got the trailer. Campworld sells a few different pumps none of them beingthat great. I will be watching this thread.

STREGA

Explorer
Metal will crack/break also when the water freezes, I drain my tank and don't use it after the temps get that low.

greentruck

Adventurer
Metal will crack/break also when the water freezes, I drain my tank and don't use it after the temps get that low.

x2

The problem isn't what the pump is made of nor is it the pump itself. You're fighting the basic laws of physics. You just can't let water freeze in your system.

The first solution was already mentioned -- drain it, paying special attention that you don't leave water in the pump.

The other is to provide heat to the water system to keep it warm or insulate it well enough that it gets and retains enough heat from the trailer that it won't freeze.

Bergger

Explorer
I understand metal has the tendancy to crack as well when it freezes but a solid metal pump will not crack as quickly as a cheap plastic one. I camp in cold weather often so I'd like to find a stronger pump and I'll start thinking of some ideas to insulate it and the tank to keep it from freezing on my trips. The current pump set up is screwed into the tank. Maybe I could come up with different method of mounting it so I can easily remove it and drain the pump at night. I'd hate to not use the water tank at all on my colder trips. My tank also froze on this trip so it was cold!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The problem is having water inside a small tube inside the pump. The pump handle can be left in the locked position to hold the prime, if it freezes when the pump is primed with water it cracks.

It may help to release the prime so the water in the pump drains back into the tank.

Even doing this may leave a little water in the pump, the only way to clear the water would be to blow the lines with compressed air.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We had some problems with our pump on a recent trip - I don't think it was related to freezing though.

For the time being I've decided to carry a spare pump - they aren't really that expensive.

UNI

Adventurer
Just curious, what size IPS thread does that pump fit into? Is the pump DC powered or is it a manual type pump?

REasley

Adventurer
We've camped in temps that low with our "cheap plastic" Shurflow pump without problem. I just shut the flow off at the filter, remove the filter bowl to drain the water on the suction side, then with the faucet open run the pump dry to pump out the line. Being a positive displacement pump, the Shurflow will pump pump air just a readily as water and will run dry without damage. The vinyl hose between the tank and the valve expands enough that the valve will freeze without breaking. We haven't been so cold that the tank freezes and after an hour or so the warmer water in the tank thaws out the line and we get water again. We have learned to bring water into the tent with us at night for morning coffee. It a pain having to thaw water bottles on the manifold in the morning. If it's cold enough to freeze the tank solid, we're going to be candy-asses and stay home.

Martyn

Removal of the water from the pump is essential during freezing conditions, doesn't seem to matter which pump it is.

We have had to replace a few filters on Shurflo pumps when they have frozen with water in them. Easy to take the filter off if you know temperatures are going to drop, most people only realize what's going on when the filter housing has split.

The hand pumps on the AT water tanks one of the more reliable pumps on the market. They have a few known issues, they crack if water is in the pump and it freezes. Some leak at the actuation handle after 2-4 years of work, most do not. The housing will crack if the operator tries to tighten the handle down. They are not repairable, but they are also not expensive or difficult to replace. Replacement pumps can be bought from AT or any Camping World store.

For anyone who camps in freezing temperatures on an on going basis the best solution may be a faucet located toward the bottom of the tank.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Maybe a small pump to keep the water moving?Or some type of system where the vehicles cooling system or maybe a block heater keeps the water from freezing up. Just reaching for ideas.

Errant

Explorer
I think they are using the Valterra Rocket Pump. About $30 at any RV parts store, another $10 for a rebuild kit. Martyn's correct in that it's one of the most reliable hand pumps out there, and that freezing shouldn't be an issue *if* you remember to leave the pump in the drain position.

Having a spigot at the bottom of the tank is an excellent idea in case of a pump failure. The problem with that being that if the spigot freezes and breaks, you're going to lose all of your water. Same thing if it catches or a rock or brush on the trail.

Hey, how about a wool sock with a chemical hand warmer over the faucet, for extra measure?

PolarXJ

Observer
Man, I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm planning on building a trailer and this didn't even cross my mind.

Martyn

I didn't know that you could get repair kits. I do know that all of the ones I've seen that leak are beyond any help a repair kit can offer as the internal housing was cracked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94