Charlie Brown's single cab

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Hey everyone. I'm always on this great website and thought I would share my vehicle build. I love hearing people's input and opinions so feel free to let me know what you think or if you think I should change/modify anything. I wanted something simple. It was just me when I decided to build something. Now I have 2 dogs and a pretty serious girlfriend. I love this thing but I'm thinking about a first gen double cab. So here are my current mods and most recent picture. I've don't everything to the vehicle myself beside the gear and locker installs. Well, I installed the rear 3rd and front diff but someone else put it all together.

98 Tacoma regular cab 2.7L 5 speed manual. Manual windows, manual doors, and manual hubs. The only upgrades from factory were bucket seats and air conditioning. And the wheels I think.
Bought it from a one owner. Garage kept. Was almost perfect when I bought it with 180k miles on it too!

Current mods: (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)
Suspension:
Toytec front lift. 620# adjustable coilovers
Rear OME Dakar with ALLPro greasable 1 1/2" shackles
AllPro U bolt flip kit
Trail gear rear frame box kit

Bumpers/armor:Trail gear front bumper with welded light bar added and Superwinch LP8500 winch
4x Innovations sliders welded to frame
Rear trail gear bumper modified with swing out tire carrier
3 piece 1/8" plate skid plates from RAT products
Welded rear diff guard (AllPro)

Mechanical
Front and rear ARB lockers with Nitro 4.88 gears
Silicone high angle inner cv boots
ARB snorkel and deck plate mod
NWOR header (to be installed yet)
Upgraded 130amp alternator (stock was only 70)

I"ve pretty much replaced all the suspension parts with OEM. Tie rods, upper and lower ball joints.
I've also replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and rebuilt the power steering box.

Future mods: Dual battery system. I already have everything except another battery. (have 150 isolator, National Luna dual battery monitor, 150amp circuit breaker)
Install header and new exhaust
Install cruise control

I'm pretty bad with taking pictures. I should have taken a lot more during the build. Here she is when I bought her. Bone stock except for some larger tires.

IMAG0700.jpg

This is how she currently sits:
tacoma2_opt.gif

20151216_141335_opt.jpg

The first modification was the suspension. Was pretty straight forward
suspension.jpg

Front was really stiff with the 620# coils until I added the bumper and winch.
20131116_141422.jpg

Here is the rear swing out bumper. I also got a smittybilt roof rack for free. I just threw it up there for now to see how it would look. Not sure if it could support a RTT though.
taco2.jpg

One of my favorite photos from Rausch Creek. She flexes pretty well
truck2.jpg

Last edited:

98tcoma3rz

Observer
wont let me post picctures!

Every time I try to upload a picture says "file failed" ******

Do you have to make photo size smaller? Won't let me upload photos. Anyone?

This is why my friends call me Charlie Brown. Nothing ever goes right.

I guess photo size was too large

Last edited:

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Nice truck! Love the simplicity of this build

Thanks! I wanted something really simple and reliable. Doesn't have all the comforts of new trucks but I can live with it. One thing I really NEED is to install cruise control. Then I would be very happy lol.

DJB1

Nice ride. I love the 1st gen single cabs so much that I sold my 2nd gen double cab after I found a dreamy 2003 single cab. How do the OME leaf springs ride? Not sure if I want those or the Wheeler's 8 leaf packs.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Everything that is right and good about pickups is embodied in a regular cab Toyota haha!

If I could resist going fast, mine would be built almost identically to yours.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Nice ride. I love the 1st gen single cabs so much that I sold my 2nd gen double cab after I found a dreamy 2003 single cab. How do the OME leaf springs ride? Not sure if I want those or the Wheeler's 8 leaf packs.

So far I love them. Will be adding the extra leaf pack soon since I have a lot of added weight. They ride nice and flex great. Great price too.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Everything that is right and good about pickups is embodied in a regular cab Toyota haha!

If I could resist going fast, mine would be built almost identically to yours.

I love regular cabs. I will never sell this thing but my needs are changing. Have a girlfriend and a couple dogs. Thinking of getting a tundra crewmax next.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Finally got around to installing the ARB compressor. Was able to run the airline through the frame for the front locker. Sleeved the air line with 1/4" fuel line wherever it was exposed for extra protection. And of course I was missing a part. The piece that the air line pops into at the compressor for the front. So I guess I'll have to get on the phone today.

compressor1.jpg
diff1.jpg
frame1.jpg

Last edited:

98tcoma3rz

Observer
I made some changes to the taco. Got rid of the alloy wheels and 32x11.5 tires. Got some factory steelies and 33x10.5 all terrain ko2s. Did some driving this weekend. What a big difference. Much more quiet, handles better, tracks better. Should have bought these in the first place. The look is a lot different. Took me a while to get used to it but I like it.

Also installed a NWOR header, flowmaster cat and dynomax exhaust system. VERY happy with the results. Noticeable power gains over the stock, cracked manifold. I was really surprised though that the stock catalytic converter with over 220k miles looked really clean inside! I had to cut the tail pipe off since oem style tail pipes don't work with aftermarket leaf springs on tacomas. It's a little louder than what I want. I might have an exhaust shop custom bend a tail pipe that works. It points down to the road under the bed so it echoes pretty loud.

Also, installed OME Dakar add a leaf, axle relocation plates.

newtruck.jpg
20160227_184702-min.jpg
20160223_173656-min.jpg
20160227_181435-min.jpg
20160227_175249-min.jpg

Attachments

• 20160223_173656-min.jpg
    20160223_173656-min.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 15

WillBeck

Adventurer
The steelies are a great look. I think my bother is switching to them as well.

Do you just have the front locker, or do you have both?

98tcoma3rz

Observer
The steelies are a great look. I think my bother is switching to them as well.

Do you just have the front locker, or do you have both?
Front and rear arb lockers. I like the steelies. Got them for 60 bucks a piece plus shipping. Not a bad deal. Toyota oem rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior