Charging Tablets for Kids

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I’m heading out on a trip fairly soon and will be stopped in one place for a week with no access to any services. I’d like to be able to charge the tablets for the kids without plugging into the truck or running a generator on the camper.

I have solar for the camper, but there’s no 12v port on it. What’s the best and/or easiest way to get USB charging? I though of just buying a 28w folding panel on amazon but was unsure of whether or not id need a battery to moderate current.

Should I just wire a 12v plug? I’m not a genius with electrical stuff.

GHI

Adventurer
I totally get it as a dad of a 4 and 6 yr old. Seriously though, let them go without. They’ll be fine.

Just be patient. Theres a few folks on here who’ll hook you up with a “how to” quick wire in a charging port. Me, I just run the genny.

dreadlocks

add a 12v outlet to the camper, a tablet wont make you end up running the generator.. regular 12v accy port and use a good car USB charger..

If you get solar, add it to the trailer.. they also make pretty big portable battery banks that can recharge tablets several times.

john61ct

Adventurer
This really is a trivial load.

Get any 12V to USB port and wire it into any live circuit.

A big laptop might threaten your Starter batt SoC, but not phones or tablets.

Unless you sit off grid no driving for many days maybe.

In which case be sure to wire it into House instead.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You could also grab one of those little battery packs that are so popular with the cell phone stores these days. I have several kicking around from various phone purchases. They will charge a tablet.

Reactions: WVI

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Only time my kids did screen time during our 2900 mile 6 National Park trip was in transit. When camped they were busy doing camp stuff. Every night at bed time we read some sort of local thing about the area we were in.

Only charging we did in camp were mom and dads phones.

rkj__

Adventurer
Why not plug into truck?

Next best option is a round 12V connector for trailer battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Sounds like wiring to battery is the best option, thanks. I’ll grab a 12v plug and figure it out.

the 6 year old is special needs and has a reading app that she uses to track her daily progress. We end up letting the 3 year old have screen time with learning apps when the older sister is doing homework.

But it’s also about a safety net. They don’t watch much tv at home and it’s a big treat. I have been on one Baja surf trip since we had kids and I just need to get the family through this first one to normalize it for the future.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sounds like wiring to battery is the best option, thanks. I’ll grab a 12v plug and figure it out.

the 6 year old is special needs and has a reading app that she uses to track her daily progress. We end up letting the 3 year old have screen time with learning apps when the older sister is doing homework.

But it’s also about a safety net. They don’t watch much tv at home and it’s a big treat. I have been on one Baja surf trip since we had kids and I just need to get the family through this first one to normalize it for the future.
I have a 12v usb puck I cut the cig plug off and wired it using a RC car battery plug. I just plug it into a lead I ran off our trailer battery.

dreadlocks

id advise against hardwired USB, with ever changing charging standards and ports whats okay today will be obsolete tomorrow, and while I'm not fond of the 12v ciggy plug ports.. they are fine if they always have a USB adapter in em, and you can quick and easy upgrade or replace the USB charger along the way without much hassle.. pretty much every gas station has em if you have a port die yon yeh in middle of an expo.

they do cause a bit of parasitic draw over long times, so you wanna unplug the USB chargers when in storage or whatever.. hardwire would also require a switch.

Last edited:

Kevin108

Explorer
The simplest thing you can do is put a 12v marine port in your grille in front of your battery. I use this for RTT lights, my air compressor, and charging things in camp. The port I used was ~$12 from Amazon. https://amzn.to/35333hA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: WVI