Charging Duracell AGM with Victron Smartsolar

another_mike

Adventurer
Searched a bunch and cant find the specifics for my Battery. Duracell "Ultra Platinum" Deep cycle Group 31M 105ah battery bought from batteries plus. Found these to be made by Eastern Penn but cant find any specifics on them to set up my Victron 100/50 SmartSolar MPPT charger.

Looking for Absorption voltage, max absorption time, float voltage.

Anyone have any advice or has better googlefu skills than me?

dreadlocks

IIRC arent these just rebranded odysseys? mebe you can find it in their specs.. either way the AGM preset should be suitable.

john61ct

Adventurer
Should not be mentioned in the same breath as Odyssey / Enersys.

Yes the Duracell brand name is owned by Deka / EPM at least for this market segment.

They make really solid FLA, but their AGM are not great.

They should still have spec sheets available with detailed care parameters.

Call their tech support (888) 844-7704 during business hours.

If you ask specific questions here, you might collect some useful info, be able to ask them Smarter Questions

john61ct

Adventurer
yes, long time ago Die Hard Platinum only was re-branded Enersys / Odyssey

Could be 10+ years ago, Sears switched the whole line to JCI (meh)

dreadlocks

that figures, as those were the only things I'd bought from Sears in the last few decades.. I bailed off the AGM bandwagon pretty quickly after sinking a bunch of money into em for nothing really in return.. im pretty sure those were the last AGM's I bought that were not just complete and total garbage, within my limited budget.

I like deka's agm's for starting battery duty, just because they are cheap and as good as heavier FLA batteries.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, just like Optima, perfectly fine as robust Starter batts, some light true "dual use" duty.

And even weekender part-time cases where 20-30 deep cycles (under 50% DoD) per year is expected.

Of course if possible, as always FLA is better value in NA market.

But going to heavier deep cycling use where sealed is needed and 500+ cycles are desired, Northstar, Enersys/Odyssey or Concorde/Lifeline are worth the extra money.

Or Deka/EPM GEL but even finickier than AGM in care requirements, and no good for high C-rates.

another_mike

Adventurer
Yep, this is what I was looking for.

Now, based on what im reading.... Should 14.6v be max at 68°F or 14.6 should be maximum ever?
The top chart says the AGM can do max 14.75 up to 70°F, but only 14.6v at 68°F?

and then going to the Victron Connect app... I can enter absorption voltage to be 14.6.... but at what temperature is this voltage for? Wouldnt this voltage vary based on temperature compensation? Where is the starting point for which compensation begins?

another_mike

Adventurer
Ok, I think I found the answer to this on Victron's website. It looks like this is the baseline for temperature compensation, which I guess would be the starting point where the "absorption voltage" input is compensated from. Wish they would make this information easier to find.

"The configured coefficient is in mV per degree Celsius for the whole battery bank, not per cell. The base temperature for the compensation is 25°C (77°F), as shown in the chart below."

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Correct, the temps provided are at the reference (room) temperature. From there the standard compensation add/subtracts from that number based on temp. So at 0F, you will see something over 15V, and at 120F, it will be in the low 14s for absorb.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
IIRC, the SmartSolar has local temperature compensation built in as part of the charge controller. If you want remote temperature compensation, then you need to add the Smart Battery Sense module as another_mike mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles