changing rear camshaft seals

icant4x4heretoo

hi guys, just a quick reminder to take your time and be very careful. Mine had so much burned oil that it didn't twist or anything, i tried everything and no matter how much i twisted or wiggled it didn't help - mine broke. if anybody wants i'll post pictures. Be careful, especially if your engine is old

what did you do to get it off. mines is stuck (driver) and have removed the intake....help!

BOPOH

Explorer
what did you do to get it off. mines is stuck (driver) and have removed the intake....help!

i broke mine, mostly because i was impatient. I'd suggest, after removing two bolts, try to make it twist. Even if previous owner used RTV to seal the leaks, twisting should brake RTV loose. If you can spin cam cover, you can use small flat head, alternate prying from one side to another while trying to twist the cover. Dont force or put to much pressure on flat head screwdriver, that's how i broke my cam cover

Ashton_59

i broke mine, mostly because i was impatient. I'd suggest, after removing two bolts, try to make it twist. Even if previous owner used RTV to seal the leaks, twisting should brake RTV loose. If you can spin cam cover, you can use small flat head, alternate prying from one side to another while trying to twist the cover. Dont force or put to much pressure on flat head screwdriver, that's how i broke my cam cover
Hello, I know this thread is has been dormant for awhile. I am going to do this job in the next week. I’m curious if you put any kind of silicone paste on the o ring, or any kind of lubricant?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I use silicone grease like Parker o ring lube or similar but just about any silicone lubricant will do the job.

Ashton_59

I use silicone grease like Parker o ring lube or similar but just about any silicone lubricant will do the job.
Thank you! What are the chances of the drivers side thrust plate leaking? I know my passenger side is leaking, but not drivers. I seen the drivers side is harder to work with, and to be honest I would rather not do it. I have both seals (oem), should I just do both?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thank you! What are the chances of the drivers side thrust plate leaking? I know my passenger side is leaking, but not drivers. I seen the drivers side is harder to work with, and to be honest I would rather not do it. I have both seals (oem), should I just do both?

Do both, but start with the harder side so the other side is sort of a gift after hours of swearing.

Thrashero

Is there a trick to getting to the driver's side seal for the 3.5 SOHC? I can feel both bolts but I haven't been able to get two hands or a long ratchet in there. I'm having a hard time picturing getting the plug back on once I do eventually get it off.

driftaholic

3.8L Driver side cam sensor mount is attached with RTV not an O-ring like the passenger side and likely not leaking. Cam sensor O-ring probably is. Pass side is an O-ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier