Changing out the A440 for a H55!!

pismo62

Adventurer
I'm in the process of taking out the A440 form my FJ62, and replacing it with the H55 five speed. I'm planning on taking about a month to get through it all. Hopefully, this will help anyone considering the same swap.

I've started a thread on the Mud web site.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/390589-out-semi-old-a440-h55.html

Trannyout.jpg

pismo62

Adventurer
Hey Dave, Had some problems with the automatic. Looking forward to eeking out another mile or two with the manual.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Guy. Great to see the 62 is still in the stable! I have had dreams lately of a FJ62 with a h55f.

Good luck.
:victory:
:sombrero:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
That is a sweet swap! I have heard that people love how the 62 drives with a manual.

Are there any issues with Smog/CARB in CA when swapping to a manual that is not a stock configuration? Just today I saw a 1st Gen 4Runner with an Tundra V8 and the stock manual tranny, it was CA vehicle. I have read that Smog Refs are not keen on this type of stuff, but if that could be proven wrong that would make me happy! I would like a 3FE/manual combo in an FJ80.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Keep us updated here too :) I have a dream of putting an H55f into an FJ80...

esh

Explorer
Not to nay say because the H55 is a great trans. Just be aware you will lose some overdrive. In a 62 it isn't a big deal because the 3FE loves to rev.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
We have 2 in the shop now getting the same conversion, it drives like a completely different vehicle when done (in a much better way).

pismo62

Adventurer
Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

ChuckB-- I never heard there are any issues with the swap from DMV.

esh--with 33's I think this will be a great gearing combo.

RockCrawler--I'm sure you guys are much faster than I. A few hours here and there for me.

I'm working on taking the transfer case apart and trying in the bell housing.

This is a fun project that is slightly over my head, I've been fortunate and had some great advice from the forums. I'm trying to chronicle it for others who might want to change to the manual.

helenk579

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

ChuckB-- I never heard there are any issues with the swap from DMV.

esh--with 33's I think this will be a great gearing combo.

RockCrawler--I'm sure you guys are much faster than I. A few hours here and there for me.

I'm working on taking the transfer case apart and trying in the bell housing.

This is a fun project that is slightly over my head, I've been fortunate and had some great advice from the forums. I'm trying to chronicle it for others who might want to change to the manual.

I also think so.

pismo62

Adventurer
O.K. so I've had a few days testing her out. I took about a week until I felt like I could really comment on it. First off, the H55 wakes up the engine, You know how on some models you can buy the sport version, well it now is the sport version. You can keep the power band strong throughout 5th gear. Now I haven't had her loaded up for camping yet but I'm sure she will do great.
I don't notice any shifting problems like others have, but mine is a rebuilt from Manafre. ( Manafre gets bagged on occasionally but Steve really helped out with parts and advice, Also Specter Off road helped out with parts and advice) So being used, that might have something to do with it. The exhaust was fixed and routed above the tranny mount.

A couple off things a still have to do: Carpet fix, I cut some carpet from under the back seat and filled in the holes, but to me it doesn't look factory so I need to re-carpet the front. I have a drip from the idler shaft that I need to seal up. And, I tightened the engine oil pan bolts up a bit too tight while I was under the car and now that's leaking. They are supposed to be at 11 pds on the torque wrench, I read that after I had tightened them( lose bad, tight better, tighter even better) So I need to redo the seal.

The gearing on the FJ62 with 33 inch tires is just about optimal, you could go slightly bigger and make better use of the gears. First gear is very low, with smaller tires you probable wouldn't use 1st for daily driving. The overdrive on the A440 is higher than the 5th on the H55. In 5th gear I'm at about 2500 rpms at 65-70 (speedo is off so can get a exact reading). If the H55 had a sixth gear it would be the icing on the cake, but as it is it's a fantastic gearbox.

Overall, I think it is a great mod. I'm glad I was able to do it myself. It's not terrible difficult, just time consuming. Someone that knows there way around cars will be able to do it much quicker, but I ended up doing most of the work a couple times to make sure it was right. I've tried to document the process to help out others that may be considering it for their cruiser. Total cost was around 3750$ give or take a few dollars.

Thanks for all the support from the board members, it's great to be able to post up questions and have advice from others who have much more knowledge than I do. I've decided after all this work to keep my day job, I'll keep drilling away in my dental office.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles